News   Jul 12, 2024
 898     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 803     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 333     0 

Heintzman Place (formerly Village By High Park, Junction, Options, 23s, Burka)

My impression. coming away from this meeting, is that there is a serious disconnect between planning of new developments and the infrastructure/services it impacts. Anyone know whether there is a mechanism to get developers to kick in capital towards schools as part of the planning process? Would it be part of the section 31 money?

-AmJ

These men may know:

Section_31_operatives.jpg

Though, I doubt they're going to talk much.

Now we just need a developer to build a tower on the site across the street (an ugly self-storage bunker) and the Junction will start having a decent skyline ;)

Can't see those unless you're on Annette, which, by the way, I think is one of the most underrated streets in the city.

9 February 2011: Epic Fail says I! Grade: D.

013ymj.jpg

Hmm! I think the suites would have their own laundries. However, I do hope the rooms the laundries are in will have drains, in case of burst hoses or leaking washers later as they age.

See Holmes Inspection, Season 2, #04, Ducts In A Row video.

[video]http://www.hgtv.ca/holmesinspection/video.aspx?releasePID=RYkg1ccnQpTdt1nCNdlXBbSD_QCZiyLR[/video]

Last edited:
9 February 2011: This angle makes me sick:
016rky.jpg

This angle shows how the building effectively acts as a sound barrier for the entire neighbourhood. The building itself is designed to minimize any sound or train-related vibrations. It's also made a good part of the Junction significantly quieter.

I think that although it's large, it's pretty much the nicest thing you can see from this side of the tracks. You should turn the camera around and show how beautiful the rest of the North side of the tracks are, because the warehouse behind you, the back side of Staples, the remaining silos across the street, and the NRT rubber plant aren't exactly architectural gems. This looks to me like a very clean building, with a really nice red-brick finish, with some nice stone accents. Not to mention, from this perspective, it's the most beautiful building within sight.

From their website:

Electricity individually metered in each suite
Energy efficient windows
Energy efficient appliances
Car sharing
Energy efficient heating system
Heat recovery from exhaust air
Green roof
Individually metered heating and cooling in each suite

Looks like it is ready for occupancy and they have only 10 units available.

This project is a mixed bag, looking good from some angles but uninspiring from others. The tallest part should be freestanding, not attached to that shorter and wider block. The backside doesn't look good and it's highly visible.

This angle shows how the building effectively acts as a sound barrier for the entire neighbourhood. The building itself is designed to minimize any sound or train-related vibrations. It's also made a good part of the Junction significantly quieter.

The flip side is that it may deflect noise to the residents northward, who already have to put up with a lot of noise and air pollution from the local industry. (National Rubber in particularly seems to be running a very crude, high-polluting operation.)

I think that although it's large, it's pretty much the nicest thing you can see from this side of the tracks. You should turn the camera around and show how beautiful the rest of the North side of the tracks are, because the warehouse behind you, the back side of Staples, the remaining silos across the street, and the NRT rubber plant aren't exactly architectural gems. This looks to me like a very clean building, with a really nice red-brick finish, with some nice stone accents. Not to mention, from this perspective, it's the most beautiful building within sight.
Even if the north side currently isn't that attractive, should it be further marred by these mean facades? That's like kicking it while it's down. You only see one building in the photo you quoted, so obviously it's "the most beautiful building within sight". Otherwise, there are many houses and warehouses nearby that don't look nearly as cheap as the north facade. Mulock Avenue is a decent street with towering trees, well-maintained houses and a lot of history.

Also, from an industrial architecture perspective, 500-530 Keele Street is an underrated gem. It has been poorly maintained, but its monumental ramps and viaduct allowing tractor trailers to dock at a second level is unusual and innovative. The two wings frame a massive central shipping docks area that furthers the sense of monumentality. They used quality brick masonry, and also appreciate the white office structure, which projects from the top of the warehouses. It's a great building that has been poorly maintained.

Even the silos have a very unique presence in the area and are not nearly as imposing as these buildings. The silos are very interesting structures, a striking connection to the century of milling history of the site.

Back