News   Jul 22, 2024
 179     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 287     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1K     0 

Heavy Metal

"a bronze doggie"

Might not have been nicked for scrap - that sounds like an irresistible scavenger hunt target to me. Years ago, in a fit of idiotic youthful exuberance, I might have grabbed it myself. Any other retired members of the Lawn Ornament Liberation Army out there?

Fab title on that piece, btw - reminds me of 'Bitch Slap #1', which has got to be Bogart (Sam Spade) on Peter Lorre (Joel Cairo) in The Maltese Falcon...

Cairo: "This is the second time that you have laid hands on me!"
Spade: "When you're slapped, you'll take it and like it!"

lorre.jpg

Jean Gabin dishes out a couple o' archetypal beauties in Le Quai des Brumes, too.

Well, the bronze doggie wasn't just casually "grabbed" by drunken frat boys or lawn jockey collectors. It was sawed off a base embedded in concrete in the dead of night. And it would be difficult to fence it to a collector.

I'm not sure what the problem is. The solution would seem to be obvious to me. Procure a length of very thick chain, and fix the artwork to a nearby immovable object in a way that is discreet and sensitive to the artist's original intention.

The caretaker at 561 Jarvis Street has the idea:
Deer.jpg

I wonder how many times a day dr. Strangelove is referrenced....

Just this morning, I showed my students at OCAD the end of it -- the Vera Lynn "We'll Meet Again" coupled with mushroom cloud imagry.

clarkstrangelove.gif

You guys won't think it's so funny when all the sculpture's gone. There's alot of sculpture downtown. That's why people go downtown. When the Chinese get all our sculpture and melt it down you'll be sorry. I'm serious. People come here from Cleveland to go downtown and see our metal sculpture. They come from all over.

Babeltoronto, I understand some Ohioans have come here just for the porcelain deer on front lawns. There's a guide book you know.

Impending Headline: Gumby Goes to Smelter

(at the risk of repeating a joke already tossed in another thread)

Back