News   May 17, 2024
 2.7K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.8K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

Hearthstone by the Bay (Humber Bay Shores, Davies Smith, 19s, Quadrangle) COMPLETE

The viewpoint of Humber Bay Shores being either ugly or beautiful can depend on which side of these projects the viewer is looking at. The Lakeshore side can be quite awful and disfunctional, especially closer to Palace Pier, but the lake side is quite functional and aesthetically pleasing.

There is no part of the waterfront ruined by these buildings. The waterfront is fine and actually quite beautiful at Humber Bay, with its new butterfly gardens, strolling paths, and connected bike paths that take you to Humber Bay Park. Less than a decade ago, the bike path stopped abruptly after the bridge, and one was deposited on Lakeshore.

I wish the buildings at Humber Bay were less ugly, and I would settle for them being more coordinated in their ugliness, but the waterfront ruined? I think not.

Well, not the actual waterfront per se, just the aesthetics of it.

How can the condos possibly ruin the aesthetics of the waterfront. Priorities skewed, perhaps?

jks, I agree with you in principle that the buildings along Humber Bay shores are undistinguished, and I have to disagree with catcher about the water-facing side of them. I don't really care for either view. However, the waterfront here is gorgeous and extremely well-used. I've strolled out there on a summer's eve, and it's very nicely done.

My bigger point is that if average buildings bother you to the extent that you cannot enjoy the waterfront or the city, then you won't truly be able to take urban pleasure anywhere. Even the photos of NY as in the Bay Street Corridor thread reveal a mess of extremely average buildings. Of such stuff are cities made, and will always be made.

jks, I agree with you in principle that the buildings along Humber Bay shores are undistinguished, and I have to disagree with catcher about the water-facing side of them. I don't really care for either view. However, the waterfront here is gorgeous and extremely well-used. I've strolled out there on a summer's eve, and it's very nicely done.

Best time to catch it is during fireworks--and even the condos start to look becoming, in a resort-ish way...

Taken today:
Mar19-09010.jpg

I cycled by the other day, and noticed this rising amongst the other buildings. I thought to myself, "If they had set out to design a building that somehow managed to clash with all the other various and sundry along here, they have succeeded".

I hope the next wave of bulidings further to the west improves on this sorry mismatched lot.

March 22 2009 update

in all respect ... although many hate this bldg, at least it does provide street frontage / windows along Lake Shore Blvd, unlike its neighbours such as Waterford Towers and Players Club who basically put up near blank facades on the north side (since it wasn't the 'desired premium view' :eek:)

South View
IMG_3561.jpg

North View
IMG_3560.jpg

Solaris, your point is well taken. And what building really could fit in with its neighbours. It's just not possible, given the population one has to work with.

And once the Humber loop is moved to Park Lawn this year, we can fill the area with even more crappy towers! ;)

Actually I spotted a development application for 130 the Queensway, for a couple of towers of over 30 storeys. The strange thing is that that address is right where that newish mini-big box plaza is, across from the sewage treatment plant...

Uh, the Sobeys Plaza's address is 125 The Queensway. 130 The Queensway is the address for the Humber Sewage Treatment Plant.

Even numbered addresses are on the north side of east-west streets in Toronto.

May 18 2009 update

I dare to suggest that this building may in fact have the best building frontage / presence toward Lake Shore Blvd ... now that it is near complete I think its turning out to be quite decent :)

North View
IMG_0367.jpg

Back