News   May 09, 2024
 480     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 804     1 
News   May 09, 2024
 543     0 

Head of Slips (Waterfront Toronto, West 8/DTAH)

It's not just the picture. To see it in person you would think it was coated in dust. These images show just how different the colour has become.

June 22, 2008

Looking great.

js3.jpg

js4.jpg

js2.jpg

js1.jpg

js5.jpg

As for the red light under the deck, I remember Adrian Geuze (the presenter/designer from West8) emphasize "the HELL... this HELL coming out from under the deck".... prompting the audience to laugh. He talked about that "HELL" all three times that I saw him present this proposal.

Where the HELL is the HELL?

electoral problems

While I blame the Feds for quite a bit, I'm not sure how to pin the lack of lake lighting on them. If there's any doubt about that however, we can solve that electoral problem in October.

Meanwhile, time to get some frogman electricians in to get the lights working.

Spadina WaveDeck Community Opening

Join Waterfront Toronto and its government partners on Friday, September 12th at 1:00 p.m. as we celebrate the opening of the Spadina WaveDeck, another milestone in revitalizing Toronto’s waterfront.

The highly anticipated Spadina WaveDeck is the first of a series of new spectacular public spaces being built along Toronto’s waterfront as part of the award-winning central waterfront design.

Built in less than 10 months, the 620 square-metre wavedeck provides a new waterside gathering space in an area that formerly lacked public access to the lake.

The event will take place on the Spadina WaveDeck, located at the foot of Spadina Avenue at Queens Quay Boulevard West.

If you are traveling to the event by TTC, exit the 510 or 509 waterfront streetcars at the intersection of Queens Quay Boulevard and Spadina Avenue. If you are traveling to the event by car, there is paid parking available at Rees Street and at Marina Quay West.

For more information, please contact Amanda Flude at aflude@waterfrontoronto.ca or 416-214-1344 ext. 276.

It looks great, but at over $4-million, they could of at least put railings. Maybe I'll send the building inspector who gave me such a hard time with my deck railings. No wonder they burned over 1/2 billion dollars already, either we're getting hosed or someone cannot estimate these projects very well.

It does look nice and it's a great pity that the City did not get its act together to fix the short length of sidewalk between the WaveDock and the street.

billonlogan:

It looks great, but at over $4-million, they could of at least put railings. Maybe I'll send the building inspector who gave me such a hard time with my deck railings. No wonder they burned over 1/2 billion dollars already, either we're getting hosed or someone cannot estimate these projects very well.

Considering the size of the project, and the fact that the whole thing actually requires steel supports in the lake - tell me, how does the price represent hosing in any form?

As to the absence railings - I think we've been through this discussion much earlier in this same thread, with general agreement that having them right at the edge would affect the aesthetics. They would also be equally ineffective at preventing people from falling into the lake if they chose to do so.

DSC:

It does look nice and it's a great pity that the City did not get its act together to fix the short length of sidewalk between the WaveDock and the street.

Considering that changes that will be made to Queen's Quay as part of the Central Waterfront Plan by West 8, there's probably little point of redoing it only to have it all ripped up again in the near future.

AoD

Agreed.

One of the designers at today's opening told me that, following the precedent set by sections of waterfront promenade that have already been built, the City didn't require railings. The seating will act as a barrier to small people, as has already been mentioned.

The wood is Ipe, a durable hardwood, with gluelam Coastal Yellow Cedar for the hefty steps. Ipe was also used at York and John Quay; when the Wave Deck woodwork fades to grey it'll give a coherent look to the various central waterfront improvements.

I would be willing to bet quite a bit of money that the lighting effects are not on tonight. Probably never will be either. Have any of the underwater treatments even been done?

Spadina Slip opening photo's

The one delay with the opening was the re gluing of the Glue lam beams along with the lighting.

A lot of things were learned from this $4 million project for the other slips.

The cake wasn't that bad and have taste worse.

If anyone thinks there is no fishes under that slip needs to think twice based on what was pull from this area and shown to the party. That was about a 5 pound fish.

Don't know where the bylaw came from for the skate boarders as it never been stated there was one for this slip during the process.

2 more to open in 2009 and hope it will before Sept. The Spadina Bridge will open in 2010.

Cannon salute along with horn blowing by the ship after the last screw was place.

The weather turn out to be great considering rain was forecast.

I would be willing to bet quite a bit of money that the lighting effects are not on tonight. Probably never will be either. Have any of the underwater treatments even been done?

The press release indicates:

"In addition to the installation of the wooden wavedeck at the foot of Spadina Avenue, construction activities also included dockwall repairs, in-water fisheries habitat construction and landscape improvements totaling $4.1 million."

11 pages on a deck. It is kind if sad.

Back