1.6K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 613     1 

Hazelton Hotel/Condo (Yorkrow, 9s, P+S/IBI Group) COMPLETE

Patio is now set up:

1353131560_e80bed8948_b.jpg

1352244765_4ad72fae61_b.jpg

1353133944_5fd2ab5654_b.jpg

Thx for the pics Mike....this one gets my vote for sleeper project of the year....the wrap-around patio probably adds more to the streetlife in the city than any other project this year. Perfect!

Complete with the rent-a-gawk car parked out front (illegally?).

This looks like it meets the street exceedingly well: nice materials, good details and nice scale.

I love red brick, and loath yellow brick, so I am pleased.

Yes, a wrap around patio does add to the street quite nicely!

I am really fond of this development. This is a good example of how to compliment and enhance the existing neighbourhood. Like most good things, this development shows that the devil is in the details.

I love the ingenius umbrella stands--no pole erupting through the centre of the table. Wonder if they were designed by Umbra?

^Across the street 4 seasons of bad pictures. There is much ugliness here.

Is the building finished? Why is the insulation hanging from the window "sills?" overall, I think the building is a clunker but hey I'm comparing it to 18 Yorkville, not the Hazelton Lanes building.

urbandreamer;115944I said:
think the building is a clunker but hey I'm comparing it to 18 Yorkville, not the Hazelton Lanes building.

Wow, which only goes to show how subjective all of what we ramble on about here is!

I think this building, and the streetscaping are top notch.

The stylistic cage match that is Jerkville - contemporary Clewes versus Page + Steele Georgian-inspired pastiche - continues ...

^Across the street 4 seasons of bad pictures. There is much ugliness here.

Is the building finished? Why is the insulation hanging from the window "sills?" overall, I think the building is a clunker but hey I'm comparing it to 18 Yorkville, not the Hazelton Lanes building.

I vote clunker too. It is less than the sum of its parts. Architecturally, it is safe and stodgy, but very well executed safe and stodgey. I like the patio but the building itself lacks any elan. It certainly doesn't detract from the neighbourhood, nor does it contribute very much. It could just as easily be a Toys R Us or Loblaws Superstore.

Indeed. The quality of the design comes first, and no amount of "well executed" detailing can raise it to a level of creative significance beyond that.

Back