Harper Still Doesn't "Get" Municipal Needs

G

GeekyBoyTO

Harper Still Doesn't "Get" Municipal Needs

From the CBC News:

Harper draws fire from big-city mayors
Last Updated Sat, 04 Jun 2005 20:22:13 EDT
CBC News

Tory Leader Stephen Harper pledged support for municipalities on Saturday, but that wasn't enough for some big-city mayors who demanded his party support the Liberal government's budget.

Stephen Harper speaks during the annual meeting of the Federation of Canadian Municipalities in St. John's, Saturday. Harper was the first of three federal leaders to speak at a Federation of Canadian Municipalities conference in St. John's.

Harper told the crowd that his party would not only honour existing agreements such as a share of the federal gas tax for cities, but would do more to solve the problems that municipalities face.

"Our party not only recognizes there is a problem," Harper said.

"We are committed to finding long-term solutions. Not band-aid solutions, where the federal government shares part of its surplus with this province or that municipality for this or that project for one or two years."

But Harper stopped short of saying his party would support the Liberal budget, which would create a $5-billion gas-tax rebate for cities and spend billions more on housing and transportation.

The budget passed first reading in the House two weeks ago by a razor-thin margin and must survive two more votes before it becomes law.

The lack of a firm commitment angered mayors such as Vancouver's Larry Campbell, who said he and his colleagues have had it with political bickering in Ottawa.

"We're sick and tired of the foolishness that's going on," Campbell said after Harper's speech.

"It's not only embarrassing, it's needlessly holding up the movement of the country and the longer we wait, the further we get behind. I have people that are living on the streets in my city. I want that money and I want it now."

Prime Minister Paul Martin and NDP Leader Jack Layton are also scheduled to address the conference this weekend. They're all courting the big-city mayors in an attempt to grab votes when an election is eventually called.

The influential mayors met earlier in the week and said they want the budget passed before the summer. Many towns and cities counted on the promised federal funding when they made their 2005 budgets.

"We run cities and we need to be able to plan and we need the money to be passed: it's that simple," said Toronto Mayor David Miller.

Harper downplayed the comments, saying that the meeting was a success over all.

"Obviously there are some big-city mayors with some partisan affiliation, but I think we've said everything that the FCM was looking for," he said.

"I had a good meeting with the FCM executive and we're looking forward to working with them in the future."

No offense, but last time I've checked, those big-city mayors are democratically elected to represent a significant portion of the Canadian population and were far less partisan than the forementioned speaker.

GB

Harper doesn't "get" a lot of things. He's is an idiot.

Ganjavih:

That link was an excellent read - I found it on my own yesterday. David Olive, a business reporter/columnist does a better job at political columns than most professional pundits and apologists that pass as colunists these days.

The last two or three lines (about the kid's rehab photo-op) are priceless.

That article was HARSH. Wow. Bravo.

Last summer during the election I was working at a newsagent. One day, one of the major newspapers had a front-page headline that was highly critical of Harper. A nice, older lady came in to the shop, bought a copy, and asked for a clear plastic bag so that she could show it off as she went about on her rounds. She then told me that her daughter had worked directly under Stephen Harper a couple years before, and he was an asshole, sexist, and just altogether a terrible human being. Interesting stuff; it just seems that Mr. Harper doesn't quite have the right stuff.

Wow, those last three lines indeed. I felt like crying.

--

You know, i'm sort of glad Harper is the leader. I think he reflects a big, scary part of the conservative party. Imagine if they'd have been smart enough to elect a pleasant human being as leader.

His wife is a graphic designer. I hang my head in shame.

Come on Babel, architects don't give up because of one or two Albert Speers. Keep your chin up, and be your own Tibor Kalman.

Shawn: Thanks for giving me the strength to carry on.

Actually, my favourite Hungarian designer called Tibor was Tibor ( scary name alert ) Reich, who produced some wonderful ceramics for Denby in the '50's as well as fabric designs, designs for stamps etc. A true Renaissance man.

Can someone who subsribes to the online version of the Globe and Mail post this editorial. See what Harper thinks of Toronto.

www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/Page/document/v4/sub/MarketingPage?user_URL=http://www.theglobeandmail.com%2Fservlet%2FArticleNews%2FTPStory%2FLAC%2F20050614%2FCOWENT14%2FColumnists%2FColumnist%3Fauthor%3DMargaret%2BWente&ord=9806556&brand=theglobeandmail&redirect_reason=2&denial_reasons=none&force_login=false

Don't blame Ontario for Stephen Harper's problems
By MARGARET WENTE
Tuesday, June 14, 2005 – Page A21

-- A few weeks ago, Stephen Harper was invited to a briefing session with the Toronto Board of Trade. These folks are the Conservative Leader's natural constituency -- pragmatic, fiscally conservative... FULL STORY

Comment Column

Don't blame Ontario for Stephen Harper's problems

MARGARET WENTE
769 words
14 June 2005
The Globe and Mail
A21
English
All material copyright Bell Globemedia Publishing Inc. or its licensors. All rights reserved.

A few weeks ago, Stephen Harper was invited to a briefing session with the Toronto Board of Trade. These folks are the Conservative Leader's natural constituency — pragmatic, fiscally conservative business types who are red-hot furious with Paul Martin. They were eager to find out where Mr. Harper stands on the challenges facing the GTA, the region that generates almost a quarter of this country's wealth.

I grant you Toronto is no Tory stronghold. Even so, it shoulda been a gimme.

The business folks were eager to find out if Mr. Harper understands their issues. The main one, in short, is this. The golden goose is on short rations. The city shells out billions more each year than it gets back in support from senior governments. Meantime, it doesn't have enough taxing power to clean the streets. The country's biggest economic engine is starved for maintenance money.

Turning on his famous charm, Mr. Harper told the well-disposed crowd — which included the head of Motorola Canada, the founder of the Timothy's coffee chain and at least one senior banker — that as far as he's concerned, they're out of luck. Your issues aren't federal issues, he argued. He reminded them (in case they didn't know) that he was running for prime minister, not premier. He told them it was their own fault, for continuing to elect Liberals. Then, as the meeting drew to a close, Mr. Harper turned to an aide and asked (under his breath) if he should go around the table and shake people's hands before he left.

“Frankly, I've worked with actuaries, and actuaries have more personality,†says someone who was there.

Memo to Mr. Harper: Are you sure you're in the right line of work?

My Western friends blame Ontario for Mr. Harper's problems in the polls. According to them, it's all our fault that his popularity has plummeted. We'd rather put up with the worst government in a generation than vote for a real conservative. “Ontario doesn't want Western-style conservatism anywhere near the prime minister's office,†thundered radio rabble-rouser Charles Adler. “[They] want Bill Davis. Not Mike Harris. Not Ralph Klein. And certainly not Stephen Harper.â€

Naturally, they blame the media — the toadying, complacent Eastern media (such as the paper you are reading now), whose knee-jerk liberal journalists are biased to their bones. That would be the same media that lovingly covered every gruesome Gomery revelation and nicknamed the Prime Minister “Mr. Dithers.†But never mind that now.

The truth is that Mr. Harper has reverse charisma. The more people see of him, the less they like him. That's what happened in the last election, when he started strong and finished weak, and that's what's been happening this spring, when he has managed to blow every opportunity the gods could give him.

Handed an explosive scandal, he wound up looking merely vengeful and power-mad. Handed the phenomenally sordid spectacle of the Prime Minister's chief of staff and a senior cabinet minister nakedly bartering for a couple of opposition votes, he saw the story backfire in his face. Overnight, the tale of Liberal sleaze in high places morphed into a story about a nutty Tory backbench opportunist who doctored tapes, kept his wife on a short leash and said weird things in airports. Liberal spin? Well, sure. But let's face facts. Gurmant and Nina Grewal are not our best hope for renewed integrity in government.

If it's true that you never get a second chance to make a first impression, Mr. Harper is cooked. The polls are devastating. Right now, 60 per cent of the public have a “negative†view of him, according to the most recent Globe and Mail poll, and that view has become more entrenched. Even in the Prairie heartland, his popularity has plunged to 44 per cent from 63 per cent. Another poll has the Tories 26 points behind the Liberals in Ontario. Sure, the only poll that counts is on election day. But it's hard to see how he can come back when he's that far behind.

So here's what I say to my dear Western friends: Don't shoot me. I'm just the messenger. I agree that we've probably got the worst government in a generation. The trouble is, as long as Mr. Harper stays around, we're stuck with it.

mwente@globeandmail.ca

Document GLOB000020050614e16e00010

More Like This

Related Factiva Intelligent Indexingâ„¢

Ed

You can access many of the Globe articles by copying and pasting the title into Google.

it's a good thing conservatives don't know how to keep their mouths shut. all that renewable energy coming out of some mouths is actually helping canada :)

Back