News   May 09, 2024
 293     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 568     1 
News   May 08, 2024
 1.9K     4 

Harper complains about poppy pin

Last night at the TSO's Remembrance Day concert the whole orchestra wore their poppies. So smart in black and white - with a dash of red. I swear I wore mine when I sat down, but by the end of the evening it had disappeared.

The Beethoven was pretty dreary. But the brand new Jimi Hendrix inspired piece, 'War Machine Blues' was great. Loud and crazy as hell. The composer, Andrew MacDonald - a local hippy - gave a little talk.

And better still, Vaughan Williams' 'Dona Nobis Pacem' was sublime, not only for the singing but for the poetry that inspired it.

I've just lost my 4th one, grrrrr!

babel:

Red poppies on black is really quite handsome looking.

GB

They shall not grow old as we who are left grow old,

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning,

We will remember them.

Lest we Forget the thousands of Canadians who fought and gave their lives for Queen and country.

One day a year we show our appreciation but every day we must remember that this country and this world is paid for by the blood of men, right or wrong.

A solemn and thoughtful Remembrance Day to everyone.

This is a non issue, and quite frankly I'm ashamed the media is writing about such foolishness.

In Flanders Fields

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

In this day of phoney manufactured wars, it's good to take a moment to remember the Canadians and other Allies who nobley fought against a real enemy who truly was a threat to our way of life.

pstc01v2.jpg

I have met two men who were tail gunners on Lancasters during the Second World War, men who had about a 40% chance of dying during their 30 missions in Bomber Command. They were twenty years of age at the time. Both were quite reserved when recalling what they had experienced during that period in their lives. They could happily recall their memories of England, of what they did to blow of steam when not flying, but there was a great reluctance to talk about what it was like to fly on their respective missions. One quickly understands that those experiences affected them deeply and permanently.

My exgirlfriends Grandfather served in the army and was in Europe for most of World War 2. I can recall him talking about being on the shores of Normandy and about what happened during his time there. The one story I can vividly remember is him talking about being in London just after the war had ended and just walking through the streets, going from bar to bar with a pint glass in his hand, grabbing a fresh drink and then just continue to walk through the masses of people celebrating in the streets. Its difficult to imagine what the entire experience must have been like for all those who went there. Even more difficult to imagine all the pain that people went through losing so many loved ones.

In 1994 I went to Italy with my parents, and we attended the international ceremony to mark the 50th anniversary of the battle of Monte Cassino. My father had been there as a young British soldier. This was his first return.

The Canadians, British and Americans landed on the south coast of Sicily in the first stage in the liberation of Europe. This was some time before D-Day. Then they moved up through Italy as the enemy was pushed back - and Monte Cassino was a major roadblock to their advance.

The ceremony at the Commonwealth War Cemetery in the valley was very moving. Previously, Dad had rarely talked about his time in the army - from the ages of 18 to 24 - except to mention the months he'd spent in the mud at Monte Cassino, which had obviously made a lasting impression. He said the smell of death wafting up the Liri Valley at night had been dreadful.

Later, as we headed back to the buses along with hundreds of other people of all nationalities and from several continents, I saw an elderly Australian veteran sitting with his friends waiting patiently by the side of the road. He looked just like any other "old guy" you might see anywhere and not pay much attention to - except I noticed that he had a Victoria Cross pinned to his jacket.

Our group tour was composed of British veterans and their families. We also visited the Polish War Cemetery, and the German one. Both were designed very differently from the Commonwealth one.

The Polish were buried in neat rows, out in the open, across the broad side of a windswept hill.

The Germans were buried around a hill. We passed through a little gateway with a sombre chapel and climbed a winding route that circled the hill, with tall slim evergreen trees marking the way. Passing, I looked down at the names ... Hans 17, Carl 21, Claus 19, Herman 18, Kurt 20 ...

The German officers were buried apart, at the summit.

A couple of days later my father and some of the British veterans met a group of German veterans who had come to the Commonwealth Cemetery to pay their respects. We could tell that they weren't sure how they'd be received, but the British were soon shaking hands and chatting with them. They exchanged stories.

I once asked my Dad why he fought, and he said, "For my Mum back home ... and for my mates" - by which he meant the men in his immediate company. They relied on one another for survival and couldn't let one another down.

I would imagine that the Germans, if asked, would have said exactly the same thing. They fought for their Mums back home and for their mates. I'm not sure it is necessarily a glorious thing to die for your country. But I can't help feeling that the deaths of the young Germans were especially tragic since they died fighting for a cause - fascism - that was so completely worthless.

My great-uncle was a tail gunner on a Lancaster. I once did the math on the chance of him surviving all the missions he flew, and it worked out to one or two percent.

Harper's right.

I lost several poppies this year as well. If you think about it, it's catch 22. If you keep on losing them, you have to buy more contributing to the fund. But then again one can get easily discouraged and not buy one again.

Then again, if you do wear one all the time with an improved pin that will mean more exposure, so it might encourage others to get it.

Or you can just roam the streets looking for lost poppies, and stockpile them for next year. When they changed the poppy centres from green to black last year, one green-centred "hoarder" in my workplace was unmasked!

WWI was probably the most pointless war in all of history. No one truly knows why it happened and what anyone really fought for.

I still see quite a few people wearing their poppies, ten days after Remembrance Day.

Back