152     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 274     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1K     0 

Hard Workers cant Stay

A

alik01

"Illegal workers in Toronto's underground economy are being deported as the new Conservative government abandons a Liberal amnesty plan."

www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs...8793972154

Its a shame. These people are already here and as long as they have Jobs and are law abiding citizens they should be allowed to stay. Dont we have a big shortage in skills trades like construction and truck drivers?

The Tories are showing their colors.

they have Jobs and are law abiding citizens they should be allowed to stay.

Actually, they aren't citizens. And they are illegal. But I'll accept your first point: they have jobs.

Another observation:

"We're working and go to school," Licinio said. "We pay income tax, do everything by the book, but we're treated like garbage."

How can one pay income tax without having a social security number, and therefore, a work permit? Am I wrong?

I agree with what you guys are saying but we do get 200,000 Plus immigrants every year.
Why cant we give these hard working people legal status since they are already here and are settled.

alik. I agree that they should be allowed to stay. I simply cannot accept some arguments. Doing everything by the book, they say? What book?

Why cant we give these hard working people legal status since they are already here and are settled.

Good question. Many of these people work in areas of construction where there are chronic labour shortages. Kicking them out is not going to do anything positive in that respect.

The amnesty was a good idea. Too bad the previous government took to long to try to bring it in.

The issue should be with the laws and the immigration regime. Perhaps it should be made much easier to immigrate here legally and get jobs in construction.

However, once you have certain laws, crying foul when they are being enforced simply doesn't make sense.

"Don't hate the playa, hate the game."

How can one pay income tax without having a social security number, and therefore, a work permit? Am I wrong?

They could be using a dead person's social security number or a fake number in order to get a job. The money would be withheld from their paychecks. They would never really be able to collect any social security income, but the taxes are being paid nonetheless. This is not uncommon in the U.S. and the same thing could be happening in Canada. It is young illegal and legal immigrants who are propping up the social security system of an increasingly aging native population.

There are merits to both sides of the argument - that these are indeed hard workers in a field Canada demands...but at the same time, the rules must be applied or there'd be no point in having them.

Out of sheer curosity though, I wonder how many are willing to file retroactive tax forms as the price of having citizenship?

AoD

Another layer of Babel is revealed:

My late partner Ambrose was an illegal immigrant, when we met in 1981. He told me a few weeks into the relationship, and it was a huge burden off his shoulders ( though transferred to mine! ). Difficult enough to maintain a gay relationship at the best of times in those days, more so under those circumstances.

Somewhere in the mid-1980's I remember saying to him how great it would be if the government were to offer another amnesty, like they'd done a decade before.

Lo and behold, what should they do a few weeks later but exactly that!

He applied, and was accepted.

There were strict rules. For instance, they only accepted people who had been living "underground" continuously for a minimum of five years. They wanted people who had proved by their actions that they would put up with much hardship to stay in Canada and therefore were people who had a strong commitment to our country.

Ambrose got a SIN number, a real job, he got to pay tax, and got a real life.

So much happened with "us", that's only the half of it.

Your coloUrs are showing too.

Do you think those who insist on using American spelling should be deported as well? Are they worse then those who make frequant spelling mistakes to often?

if i see one more spelling mistake i'm going to loose it.

:p

If these non law obiding non citizens have actually been paying income tax and have not committed any serious crimes then I don't have a big problem with an amnesty. My concern is that the people most likely to evade taxes this year are the ones who evaded taxes last year. Many if not most construction workers are on contract and have to declare income because it isn't taken off their cheques since they move from job to job... this means these illigal immigrants are in a job where tax evasion is easier than normal (probably the reason many don't get caught by immigration in the first place). Small cash based businesses and contract jobs such as construction are the jobs where tax evasion is easiest. A construction boom isn't much benefit to the country as a whole if all those workers aren't paying taxes to pay for public improvements.

what are you talking about? as a construction worker i can say that the vast majority of us do get taxes deducted from our cheques, and in fact our weekly deduction almost invariably exceeds our actual tax bracket (the fomula for how much tax to deduct from someone's weekly pay assumes that that person works 40 hours a week, 50 weeks of the year, something which no construction worker ever actually does). because of that i'd wager that of all professions construction workers are probably more likely to submit their tax returns (so that we can get our refund) than workers in any other field

Back