15     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 371     0 

Harbourfront Article

U

unimaginative2

From the Globe:

A contender on the waterfront

Toronto has been beating itself up over Harbourfront, but it ain't so bad after all

By JOHN BENTLEY MAYS
Friday, March 19, 2004 - Page G2

During its most recent round of public consultations, Toronto Waterfront Revitalization Corp. (TWRC) asked participants to name their worst nightmare about the future of the inner harbour's undeveloped eastern stretch. Topping the list of horrible scenarios was another Harbourfront.

No surprise there. Harbourfront, which stretches west along Queens Quay from Yonge Street to Stadium Road, has long been the most hated downtown residential megadevelopment in Canada.

Architectural critics and other opinion-providers repeatedly damn Harbourfront for cruelly blocking off Toronto's view of Lake Ontario, ridicule it as so much stupid urban design thrown up by get-rich-quick real estate developers, condemn it for hogging what could be a paradise of waterfront parkland.

While the mere mention of Harbourfront at the TWRC meeting was enough to make everyone diss it without a second thought, I was left with a disquieting question. Is this large neighbourhood of condominium and rental towers and parking lots and waterfront parks, where many people freely choose to live, really something we can just write off as an urban disaster and never look at again?

I had not cast a careful glance toward Harbourfront in years. Which isn't to say I had stayed clean away. The Power Plant, Toronto's largest public gallery of contemporary international art, has for many years been a favourite destination on my cultural map of the city. I have occasionally shopped and lunched at the revamped Terminal Building. But I had never struck out west along Queens Quay, away from Harbourfront Centre -- the cultural and commercial heart of the district -- into the territory of the tall buildings.

When I did so, one bright, breezy afternoon last weekend, I was struck by what a disaster Harbourfront isn't. Some of the towers and low-rise projects scattered or clustered along Queens Quay are bland and thoughtless, designed with no respect for the waterfront location or their hard, urban site on old port industrial lands. King's Landing, a playfully light, bright apartment block designed by architect Arthur Erickson in 1982, is an exception celebrated by many critics.

But in the 20-odd years since King's Landing, the quality of Harbourfront's residential architecture has stayed okay-to-good, and the buildings have frequently tried to get off some stylistic flourishes: gleaming swankiness at 401 Queens Quay West, for example, and a kind of surf-'n'-sun frothiness at 600 Queens Quay West.

The entire architectural tone of the neighbourhood will get a jolt, by the way, when the renovation of the jubilantly deco Tip Top Tailors building is complete, and the towers start to rise south of Fort York. If the building design at Harbourfront leaves something to be desired, the basic idea of the place appears to working well enough.

Contrary to the most frequent slander against the development, the buildings of Harbourfront are not "walls" separating the citizenry from our aquatic birthright. They are homes for thousands of families, and physical extensions of city life into land left desolate when the port declined. These stacks of homes provide the real, human connections between Toronto and the water.

Harbourfront is also far more than a lot of big residential buildings. The Music Garden is one of the loveliest public parks in the city, and the little patch of wetlands is one of the most charming. The waterside promenade offers deeply private walks only a few steps away from the hectic intersections of the financial district. In the near future, the city will be pressing on to replace the last parking lots in the neighbourhood with parks, and creating a network of green spaces to complement the hard-edged architecture.

Even then, however, Harbourfront won't be living up to its potential as a great urban place until something is done to invigorate Queens Quay West. At present, the district's wide central thoroughfare is good for cars but daunting for pedestrians. Among other easy, inexpensive solutions that could be tried: The abolition of the dedicated bicycle lanes along the Quay, and permission for on-street parking.

Before bikers yelp in protest, I should add that having bike riders and motorists share a roadway urges courtesy and caution on all users. It's just good citizenship.

And while we are on the subject of citizens, strollers on sidewalks have rights as well.

Pedestrians (hence retail shopping) tend to shun wide-open roadways.

The future of Harbourfront as a vital urban neighbourhood very largely hinges on the tightening and slowing of all vehicular traffic on Queens Quay, and fresh encouragement (like shops and restaurants and other big-city amenities) for people to come out of those apartment buildings and walk abroad on Toronto's sunniest downtown street.

jmays@globeandmail.ca

i agree with him...to those who say that the condos are a "wall", wouldn't any building be a wall to the water with that logic? and to those who say only tall buildings block the water, those bigger buildings add more people to the former no-man's-land

The realy problem with the Harbourfront condos is that they are not human-scaled--they're massive concrete edifices. Also, they were not build as thin point towers, which is the norm these days. As a result, they block a wide swath of waterfront, and tend to feel like a wall.

Personally, I'd rather we had no condos south of Queens Quay... just lowrise commercial and entertainment, and continue the wall of medium-rise, terraced condos on the north side of Queens Quay.

I think a distinction has to be made between the Condo's at the foot of Bay and Yonge Street and Ferry Dock area and the condo's West of The Terminal Building. Very different scale around the Music garden, that is actually quite succesful.

"Very different scale around the Music garden, that is actually quite succesful."

Not only is the scale better, they're also only on the north side of Queen's Quay. That leaves complete access to the lake for pedestrians. The lake should be for all Torontonians and not a private backyard for condo owners.

On queen's quay west there are no more condos being built on the south side. but what does everyone think about the condos being planned on the south side of queen's quay east? they're not huge towers like harbourfront and they won't block it off in the same way, but some could still view them as a barrier.

i think most of the people complaining about the "wall of condos" don't care about the neighbourhood itself, they just want to be able to see the water from the financial district. they don't want buildings in that neighbourhood period.

It is funny because there are only a few towers that give rise to the concept of "wall of condos" and give the waterfront a bad reputation aesthetically. There is infact no wall of hideous condos, just a few isolated examples. I actually feel that "point towers" are not desirable at the waterfront either. Mid-rise is definately the way to go. And the "wall" effect is more about lack of accessibility due to deficiencies in the street-grid than anything to do with the massing of the buildings. The answer to the waterfront in my mind has everything to do with the street-grid and only something to do with the massing and aesthetics of the buildings.

Back