News   Jun 07, 2024
 2.6K     0 
News   Jun 07, 2024
 4.9K     8 
News   Jun 07, 2024
 3.5K     3 

Halfway through the decade in Toronto. What's our status?

Toronto's "New" City Hall - 50 Years old in 2015

That Finnish architect who designed the city hall would win so many posthumous awards in movie architecture.

JA and Everyone:

This would have made Viljo Revell proud...

I have always admired the remarkable design of Toronto's City Hall...

This topic about Toronto's status mid decade is the type of thread in which I learn about how Toronto is changing from my fellow UT members...
Good insight from all...

LI MIKE

Last edited:
I think some people miss the fact that Toronto's haphazard half-assedness and griminess is part of its appeal and charm. (No, I'm not the only person I know who thinks this) It's like a giant hastily put together airport terminal...which is exactly how I describe it to people who have never been here when I travel the world. *shrug* It's not perfect, but it's a damn fine place to be. This decade has been wack, really...with the Ford debacle, but this next half will hopefully be interesting with someone who actually likes the place as mayor. I'm very optimistic for the next few years. Then again, I'd love this place no matter what. Born on this lake, grew up here....it's my homeland. Haters need not apply.

They hate our lackadaisical approach to city building......and our freedom to be that way, yes.

...well, even I was a bit miffed about that particular freedom....but, then, again, who am I to say that my fellow citizens (assholes they may be) are not entitled to choose their leaders?

Toronto can be somewhat provincial in outlook and behaviour (even though the city probably punch above its' weight), but it's also one that is a rather cozy city to be in. In fact, I find that most immigrants/individuals from abroad regress to the Toronto norm, precisely because it is "comfortable".

AoD

Wait, what is the Toronto norm? I grew up here so maybe I don't see it. (Sort of how outside of Southern Ontario I am often told that I have an accent and am asked where I immigrated from)

While some of you guys are brushing aside comparisons to Melbourne and Sydney, I think we should embrace them. They are very comparable cities to Toronto and we have much to learn from them.

^Indeed. Especially Melbourne, a city, like Toronto, not especially blessed with natural attributes, and a reputation for blandness, that reinvented itself into a unique fashion, design and cultural centre.

The Toronto norm is apathy.

Lol, that's been my impression, as a relative newcomer (< 3 years). Toronto sometimes feels like that big kid on the playground who doesn't know his own strength and simply absorbs and internalizes the taunts of the smaller kids when he could easily stand tall and deliver the smackdown.

But on the flip side, I also sense there is a push for "something" more, and that the city is poised for a growth (or evolutionary?) spurt. The recent municipal election did not give me much hope as I was hoping for a complete enema, but we did get a mayor who was the best candidate for the job.

^Indeed. Especially Melbourne, a city, like Toronto, not especially blessed with natural attributes, and a reputation for blandness, that reinvented itself into a unique fashion, design and cultural centre.

It also has comparable urban sprawl to Toronto and has also retained its streetcar system.

I always thought that Melbourne is the most similar city to Toronto on the globe. We can do things that Melbourne has done over here in Toronto, such as utilizing our downtown lane ways.

Back