325     1 
News   May 14, 2024
 2.5K     1 
News   May 14, 2024
 1.7K     1 

Gun Control

Status
Not open for further replies.
  1. Check everyone coming in from the United States of America, businesspeople or tourists, for guns.
  2. Bullets cannot be sold without a license.
  3. Gunpowder sniffer dogs

NO%20GUNS.jpg

That's for a start.

Checkpoints on all major streets.
Random home searches in the middle of the night.
Indoctrinate children to spy on their parents.

Oh, right, that's been done before...:eek:

Seriously, I believe in the American's right to bear arms, as written in the Second Amendment, with one qualifier: the individual only has the right to bear arms that were readily available in 1787 when the Constitution was originally adopted.

If you can rob a 7-11 with a 4' musket that takes several seconds to reload, then go nuts. Odds are the proprietor will already have his loaded musket ready under the counter! :)

Seriously, I believe in the American's right to bear arms, as written in the Second Amendment, with one qualifier: the individual only has the right to bear arms that were readily available in 1787 when the Constitution was originally adopted.! :)

The original 2nd amendment distributed to the united states, and then ratified by them:
“A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
Seems to me that a "well regulated militia" means they have to be in the army if an American wants to have a gun. Too bad the majority of the gun users in the States and Canada seem not to be in the armed forces, when they should be. So if you want to have a gun, join the armed forces.

So if you want to have a gun, join the armed forces.

Individuals wanted to join armed forces (or the police) for the love of guns probably are the ones who have the least business of being there.

AoD

Individuals wanted to join armed forces (or the police) for the love of guns probably are the ones who have the least business of being there.

AoD

As a serving member of the CF, I second that comment. Why do people think that only power hungry people who want to play with guns join the military. I haven't met a single person like that in my 8 years so far.

In fact, military training stresses weapons safety much more than any other rifle or gun club....we transport our bolts in separate vehicles from the weapons when travelling. We account for every round, spent or otherwise. And follow extremely strict safety and fire discipline rules when on exercise. I doubt any yahoo who likes to play with guns would be able to tolerate those kind of rules.

For example, loading a round in the chamber (as we say, "one up the spout") is an actual escalation on the rules of engagement during a war. Simply traveling in a LAV with one up the spout would require a significantly higher threat level.

As much as I'd like to see some kind of localized bans in place...ie ban all firearms from urban areas, I wonder how this would work for some sport shooters. Banning air pistol/triathlon olympic athletes from training makes no sense.

Out in the boonies though, you definitely need firearms. Anybody who's traveled up north ... north of 60 that is knows that a rifle or shotgun is vital for survival. My buddies who work search and rescue in Yellowknife, carry a shotgun and boxes of ammo in the aircraft....they once expended half a pack of shotgun ammo trying to slow polar bear down while rescuing a wayward arctic explorer.

keithz:

There is absolutely no reason why anyone, rural or urban, has any need for handguns. The utility of shotguns I can understand - but even then, having them registered is pretty legit - the ownership and use of weapons should be a regulated affair. Ditto paying a reasonable feel for its' use - we do the same with vehicles afterall.

AoD

As much as I'd like to see some kind of localized bans in place...ie ban all firearms from urban areas, I wonder how this would work for some sport shooters. Banning air pistol/triathlon olympic athletes from training makes no sense.

Myriam Bedard used to carry her biathlon rifle around in a violin case.

keithz:

There is absolutely no reason why anyone, rural or urban, has any need for handguns. The utility of shotguns I can understand - but even then, having them registered is pretty legit - the ownership and use of weapons should be a regulated affair. Ditto paying a reasonable feel for its' use - we do the same with vehicles afterall.

AoD

Agreed. I don't dispute the need for registration. I might quibble about the fee issue seeing as they are needed if you live out in the boonies. But for everybody else, yeah a fee certainly makes sense. I would even go so far as to say that urban areas should be a firearms free zones with added criminal penalties for committing crimes with firearms.

Handguns should definitely be banned, at least in urban areas. We often joke in the military, that the issued hand guns are to shoot yourself on your last stand. They have an effective range of around 25m and are much harder to shoot with. Most people couldn't really hit a person sized target past that range. So even as weapons of self-defence they make little sense unless you are constantly in areas smaller than that distance (ie. cops and criminals).

For collectors, perhaps they should create collector clubs at ranges (preferably located outside the city), where you can store you weapons, or drill out the barrels....i dunno how much that would reduce collector's value, etc. though

The biggest deterrent would be tougher sentences. A Jamaican exchange officer burst out laughing once when I told him that you only get some 2 years for possessing an illegal weapon. In Jamaica, its an automatic 10 years, if you are caught with a handgun, regardless of whether you have committed a crime or not. Granted they have some tough challenges with gun violence. But this should definitely be studied as a policy.

keithz:

Personally, I'd rather see much harsher sentencing for gang/organized crime - the use of guns is merely a permutation of such. That's on top of removing some of the financial incentives for organized criminal activities - legalize (but restrict) drugs, prostitution, etc.

AoD

^ As well as more community oriented prevention.

In that crime special in the Star, they said that for every dollar invested into crime prevention, we receive twelve from less prison spending and productivity.

I'm definitely with Gilles Duceppe on this one. People don't have a problem with registering their car. Why shouldn't it be the same with their guns? I also believe in a British-style handgun ban. There's simply no need for them. For people who use the "collectors" argument, they should know that a very large proportion of handguns in Canada not smuggled in from the States come from breakins at collectors' houses.

keithz:

Personally, I'd rather see much harsher sentencing for gang/organized crime - the use of guns is merely a permutation of such. That's on top of removing some of the financial incentives for organized criminal activities - legalize (but restrict) drugs, prostitution, etc.

I definitely agree, and you make a good point, but the catch is that prosecuting someone for gang activity is much more difficult than prosecuting them for carrying an illegal handgun. The latter is pretty much an open-and-shut case.

I would chime in, in support of handgun bans, but we already more or less seem to agree. I support tougher sentences, and I do understand how different it is outside of cities (with respect to rifles, etc.). Did you know that when you fly within the territories there are no security checks and you can bring any kind of weapon aboard with you? I loved having that experience.

Interesting and good to see a member of the AF participating in the discussion, and I basically second everything kEiThZ says.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back