News   Jul 16, 2024
 297     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 495     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 612     2 

Guelph Transit Update (and it's much better)

They also recently had an RFP on the market to study options for open fare payment systems...I guess they're not enamored by PRESTO?

They also recently had an RFP on the market to study options for open fare payment systems...I guess they're not enamored by PRESTO?

That was something else I didn't understand. A few years ago, Guelph decided to switch from plastic travel passes to ones that required people to swipe them through a machine when entering the bus. Now, I get that PRESTO has its issues but Guelph had just gotten returned GO train service and we've been getting progressively closer to Toronto for years now. Why not just bite the bullet and get PRESTO? And, if I'm understanding you right, we're switching systems again and we still don't use PRESTO, I'd be dumbfounded. It just makes sense to use it at this point imo

That was something else I didn't understand. A few years ago, Guelph decided to switch from plastic travel passes to ones that required people to swipe them through a machine when entering the bus. Now, I get that PRESTO has its issues but Guelph had just gotten returned GO train service and we've been getting progressively closer to Toronto for years now. Why not just bite the bullet and get PRESTO? And, if I'm understanding you right, we're switching systems again and we still don't use PRESTO, I'd be dumbfounded. It just makes sense to use it at this point imo

If not Presto, at least go with Waterloo Region's system they're starting up.

Here's the card referred to:
Monthly swipe pass program

Guelph Transit’s monthly swipe bus pass is a plastic card, similar to a credit card. Currently only Adult, Youth and Senior monthly passes are swipe passes. The swipe pass will require that you swipe your monthly bus pass through the card reader on the fare box.

If you are not able to swipe your pass through the card reader as a result of your disability, please show your valid monthly pass to the driver when you board the bus so that they can visually verify your pass.

Guelph Transit Specialty Passes, which include the War Veteran Pass, Retiree Pass, Day Pass, PAL Card, University of Guelph Student Identification Card, and the City of Guelph Employee Annual Pass, are not swipe passes. Please continue to show to the driver your specialty pass when boarding the bus for visual verification.

Please remember print your name and phone number on the back of your monthly swipe pass. If you lose your pass and it is returned to Guelph Transit, we will contact you using this information.

Transit_swipe_pass_procedure.jpg

Swipe your bus pass in the fare box with the magnetic stripe facing you. The swipe pass must be swiped from right to left.
http://guelph.ca/living/getting-around/bus/fares-and-passes/monthly-swipe-pass-program/
I'm unaware of a "open card" type system in Guelph, but the following might cast some light on this:
$19.4 million to be invested in Guelph Transit infrastructure
News release from Lloyd Longfield,
Member of Parliament for Guelph

March 31, 2017, Guelph, Ontario – The governments of Canada and Ontario are making investments to create jobs and grow the middle class while building a foundation for a strong, sustainable economic future. Investing in public infrastructure supports efficient and affordable transit services that help Canadians safely get to and from work, school and other activities on time.

MP Lloyd Longfield, on behalf of the Honourable Amarjeet Sohi, Minister of Infrastructure and Communities, announced today that the City of Guelph’s new public transit project has been approved.

Part of the City of Guelph’s transit funding will include $9,681,491 from the Federal Government which will be matched by the City of Guelph. Guelph will benefit from the following projects:

• $7,370,770 for Transit Bus Replacement: including 24 conventional buses and 9 specialized vehicles;
  • $1,300,000 for replacing fare boxes on all buses to improve efficiency, reduce potential for fraud and missed fares, and automate validation of student passes (U-pass) and transfers;
  • $363,221 to upgrade 132 bus stops to ensure multi-route stops have shelters and, where possible, all stops are accessible;
  • $147,500 for developing a Transportation Master Plan for Guelph that addresses all modes of transportation including transit, vehicular transportation, active transportation and trails;
  • $500,000 for upgrading the traffic signal control system that coordinates traffic signals along major streets. This involves replacing two outdated systems with a new system that will reduce traffic congestion and delays and enable transit signal priority.
These projects are part of a list of 312 projects announced across Ontario on March 31, 2017, under the Public Transit Infrastructure Fund (PTIF). The federal government is providing 50 per cent of funding for these projects and the provincial government and municipalities will provide the balance of funding.

Also on March 31, Prime Minister Trudeau acknowledged the importance of public transit to Canadians, as stated in Budget 2017, by announcing federal funding for major GO Transit Regional Express Rail projects across the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area.

This investment is part of an agreement between Canada and Ontario for the Public Transit Infrastructure Fund.

Quotes
“Efficient and sustainable public transit plays an important role in keeping our communities among the best places in the world to live while supporting the middle class and those working hard to join it. By working with our provincial and municipal partners, the Government of Canada will deliver real support through projects like this which will improve the efficiency, accessibility and develop a master transportation plan for the residents of Guelph.”

-Lloyd Longfield
Member of Parliament for Guelph

“I am pleased to have a federal partner that shares our commitment to investing in modern, accessible public transit. These upgrades to our transit system will benefit our entire community and improve riders’ experience for a more comfortable and efficient daily commute.”

-Liz Sandals
Member of Provincial Parliament for Guelph

“I want to thank the Government of Canada for this funding, which represents a major investment in the future of Guelph’s transit system. New buses, bus shelters, fare boxes, and signal controls will all improve the customer experience – while boosting operational efficiency at the same time. This is a big day for Guelph Transit and for the City of Guelph.”

-Mayor Cam Guthrie
Mayor of Guelph

Related products
View the complete list of newly identified transit projects across Ontario

Quick Facts
  • This funding is part of the first phase of Investing in Canada, the Government of Canada’s historic plan to support public infrastructure across the country.
  • The Government of Canada will provide more than $180 billion in infrastructure funding over 12 years for public transit, green infrastructure, social infrastructure, transportation that supports trade, and Canada’s rural and northern communities.
Associated links
I found reference to jcam's RFP, had it on my taskbar, but erased it by accident, I'll find and post it again, it's a precursor to the announcement above, and for more than just cards, or Guelph, an entire string of municipalities is on the list.

If not Presto, at least go with Waterloo Region's system they're starting up.

This is an interesting point, as Guelph's previous Transit Manager was avid to connect the two systems, GRT being a very well run org compared to Guelph's. In all fairness, size matters on that point, but other factors came into play, not the least Meagher's forward thinking...at odds with much of the dead weight on Guelph Council and city management (they've gone through CEOs and related positions too, part of the "Guelph Factor").

Meagher envied GRT's articulated buses, but Guelph would have had to have built an extended garage to house them. They wanted two to run the 'North-South spine route' never established, even though recommended in the last Transit Report. He also wanted to establish an interoperability agreement with GRT...I'm at the point of best Googling this to get the facts right. Will search and post, they're important points, and I wonder why QP and Del Duca haven't intervened to nudge things along. GRT's choice of their own card is an interesting story too, they pretty much turned their back on Presto, and Guelph's Presto Policy has less substance than Swiss Cheese.

Last edited:
http://guelph.ca/living/getting-aro...ph-transit-and-go-transit-fare-integration-2/

Here's official reason on GRT Transit's website for not choosing Presto. Steve Munro and Shon Tron IIRC have both written articles mentioning this, although there's subterfuge behind this, but Tron's point on Guelph is a very good one, the problem being Guelph's 'go it alone' attitude with anything to do with Waterloo Region, let alone Wellington County. Guelph has quite a chip on her collective shoulder, and the cost is being left behind because of it. Fortunately the present Mayor has tried to reverse this. He's a fiscal pragmatist.
8. Why wasn't Presto selected?
Presto could not be selected because they did not respond to a Request for Proposals, which is a Regional requirement. Also, Presto could not provide many of the functionalities that the Region deemed essential for our system including the ability to accept payment on MobilityPLUS vehicles, the ability to integrate a U-Pass program and the ability to issue machine readable paper tickets from Ticket Vending Machines. Having our own system allows us to ensure our fare products meet our unique customer needs.
http://www.grt.ca/en/fares/EasyGO-FAQ.asp

Here's how slow Guelph is to act, and this article was written by an excellent journalist ex-Guelph Mercury, not long before they pulled the plug (The paper, btw, contrary to Metroland releases, was in the black! That comes by word of mouth from the Editor...whether there were storm clouds on the horizon or not is another discussion, there are for almost all 'old school' albeit excellent broadsheets)
Guelph Transit seeking feedback on proposed new routes and transfer points
Goodbye spoke-and-hub; hello grid
News Mar 12, 2015 by Joanne Shuttleworth Guelph Mercury

GUELPH — Guelph Transit is considering adding a perimeter route, express routes and transfer points in an effort to make the system more efficient for riders and more cost-efficient for taxpayers.

Phil Meagher, general manager of Guelph Transit, said he's been working on the new plan ever since he joined the city 18 months ago.

This plan was supplemented with information gathered through two transit surveys — one on origins and destinations and the other on customer service.

"When I got here, I could see the inefficiencies in the routes," Meagher said in a phone interview Thursday afternoon. "We had to think about what makes sense."

The current system uses a hub-and-spoke model — that is, all buses come to Central Station downtown and that's where riders can transfer to other routes.

At one time, that was sufficient, Meagher said, but not in a growing city. And not in a city that wants to grow its transit ridership.

Meagher offered the example of a senior living near Grange and Watson roads wanting to get to the legion by bus. Right now, that senior would take the No. 14 Grange to Central Station and then transfer to the No. 4 York and exit at Watson and York.

"That would take 40 minutes and you'd have to go out of your way to get where you're going. There are a lot of situations like that," Meagher said. "As we grow transit, we have to get away from the spoke and hub."

The new system is proposing several new routes:

• Mainline: a north-south route along Gordon/Norfolk/Woolwich from Clair Road in the south to Woodlawn Road in the north. This route will have buses every 10 minutes during peak hours.
[...]
Meagher said there is no money in the capital budget for bus shelters, but Metrolinx has agreed to foot the bill for 18 new bus shelters on Gordon Street and York Road at stops the GO bus shares with Guelph Transit. The old shelters, where they exist, will be moved to new locations.

Meagher said connecting Guelph Transit with Grand River Transit is on the radar, "but the No. 1 priority is to fix this (the routes) first," he said.
https://www.guelphmercury.com/news-...k-on-proposed-new-routes-and-transfer-points/

I won't post reference, but will if challenged. Meagher was fired. He thought too far outside the box. That's not allowed in Guelph. Note his pushing the "spine" long before Guelph 'got it'? And ditto the tie-in with the GRT.

Guelph is far from being a 'hard done by town' (city, actually, if you can believe it) and yet: "there is no money in the capital budget for bus shelters". In fact, not entirely true. There are a couple erected by private sponsors!

How freakin' cheap can a society be? In the event, GO Transit erected a number, that Guelph Plebs could shelter in while waiting for their second-hand bus cast-offs from Ottawa and other burghs. Just for the record, outside of Toronto, Guelph has one of the highest average house price indices and matched for the lowest housing vacancy rate in Ontario.

Guelph is in a world of her own.

Attachments

• upload_2017-3-31_17-26-8.png
    upload_2017-3-31_17-26-8.png
    80.9 KB · Views: 684
Last edited:
To sum up a bunch of what steveintoronto just wrote, Guelph is a place where poor people and students take transit. This is the attitude of council and a significant portion of the voting base. As long as that's the case, Guelph Transit will always be seen as a form of welfare rather than an alternative to driving. The fact the city has been spending significant sums (spread over time) to convert the Hanlon Expressway into a full limited access road (without traffic lights that is), pushing for the Highway 7 upgrade and parking garages in downtown over improved city and regional transit is telling imo

Wolfe: You nailed it. I was beating around the bush since I was concerned the point would be misunderstood. I spent five years there, and many pleasant things happened, but being an urban type, I always suffered from claustrophobia. It's not the size of the place (130,000) it's the mindset. The best analogy is to be had from Georgetown, been well written about, and Georgetown is to Brampton as Guelph is to K/W "We're different than them".

Case in point:
Georgetown Transit Doesn’t Exist…But Why?
Posted by borgra on March 15, 2007

In Georgetown, Ontario there is no local transit. Asking around why I was surprised at the response. Not by just one or two individuals but by at least 10 people.

They say there is no transit there not because the city is small(I’m told population is 40,000. That’s small?)that the people(or is it city councillors?)of Georgetown don’t want certain races there.

Meaning without transit(you have no chocie but to take GO Transit if you don’t own a vehicle) some people from other cultures won’t go there and the occasional person from certain groups is okay.

If only one or two people would’ve said that I wouldn’t have thought anything other than that person themselves is racist. But 10 people say the same thing, that’s scary, considering this is the 21st Century.

If you live in Georgetown, Ontario can someone please tell me why so many people from Georgetown are saying the exact same thing?
https://borgra.wordpress.com/2007/03/15/georgetown-transit-doesnt-existbut-why/

Be sure to read the answers to this.

Guelph *does* have transit, but it's for the 'poor cousins', if indeed they are related at all. In many respects, during my five years in Guelph, the beefs the locals were expressing in the Mercury (which had excellent forums, if Guelph excelled in any respect, it was the Merc) and more often than not, I'd respond to "we're not getting good value for our civic tax money" with "then consider joining Waterloo Region *in whole or in part* (the Muni Act details this, and states only the need to be "adjacent" not actually sharing a border)(prime example is the Police Service, and again, in whole or in part, this is allowed under the Police Services Act, which can save huge amounts of money and delivery a much better quality of service, esp as an alternative to retaining the OPP to do it as an expensive option). Transit is an obvious one too.

But Guelphites would rather bitch and spite others rather than 'demean themselves' by association with someone lesser, even if it slashed their civic costs by close to half. Oddly, this applies to both sides of the political spectrum. There's also a love-hate relationship with the University, the cash-cow that drives their standard of living. You can rent hovels to students that Charles Dickens characters would refuse to live in.

Nuff said for now, there are folks in Guelph who 'get this', but that's because they're on the margin, and not necessarily poor, just aware.

Guelph Transit did not pick up Presto for some of the same reasons Waterloo Region did not. There is also the cost - municipalities have to pay a portion of revenue, no matter how many people use their card, to Presto. It was also estimated to be 3 million to install, where as alternatives are half that price. The new GM of Guelph Transit, Mike Spicer, has stated he would like to see integration with GRT, but it will probably not include the same card system. Of course, this all depends on who answers the RFP.

SteveinToron
Wolfe: You nailed it. I was beating around the bush since I was concerned the point would be misunderstood. I spent five years there, and many pleasant things happened, but being an urban type, I always suffered from claustrophobia. It's not the size of the place (130,000) it's the mindset. The best analogy is to be had from Georgetown, been well written about, and Georgetown is to Brampton as Guelph is to K/W "We're different than them".

Case in point:

https://borgra.wordpress.com/2007/03/15/georgetown-transit-doesnt-existbut-why/

Be sure to read the answers to this.

Guelph *does* have transit, but it's for the 'poor cousins', if indeed they are related at all. In many respects, during my five years in Guelph, the beefs the locals were expressing in the Mercury (which had excellent forums, if Guelph excelled in any respect, it was the Merc) and more often than not, I'd respond to "we're not getting good value for our civic tax money" with "then consider joining Waterloo Region *in whole or in part* (the Muni Act details this, and states only the need to be "adjacent" not actually sharing a border)(prime example is the Police Service, and again, in whole or in part, this is allowed under the Police Services Act, which can save huge amounts of money and delivery a much better quality of service, esp as an alternative to retaining the OPP to do it as an expensive option). Transit is an obvious one too.

But Guelphites would rather bitch and spite others rather than 'demean themselves' by association with someone lesser, even if it slashed their civic costs by close to half. Oddly, this applies to both sides of the political spectrum. There's also a love-hate relationship with the University, the cash-cow that drives their standard of living. You can rent hovels to students that Charles Dickens characters would refuse to live in.

Nuff said for now, there are folks in Guelph who 'get this', but that's because they're on the margin, and not necessarily poor, just aware.

May I suggest you read up on what Mike Spicer, new GM of Transit for Guelph, is envisioning
http://guelphpolitico.blogspot.ca/2016/12/guelph-politicast-60-mike-spicer-guelph.html#more

Mike Spicer on Route Realignment and Future Transit Improvements
http://guelphpolitico.blogspot.ca/2017/03/guelph-transit-looking-at-schedule-and.html#more

Market Squared: Can we not think of the bus as the 'loser cruiser'?
https://www.guelphtoday.com/columns...-think-of-the-bus-as-the-loser-cruiser-575916

SteveinToronto...May I suggest you read up on what Mike Spicer...
Incredibly good links!

Got half way through the interview, will continue tomorrow, but read the other two links. Donaldson suggested "ambitious" as a description of Spicer (no connection to the White House), I have to agree, albeit he's obviously giving it his best shot.

I'm going to copy in two of the comments from the GuelphToday reader comments to the Guelph Squared column:

Paul Lalonde
·
Managing Director at Newsy Communications
When I moved to Guelph from Toronto last year I promised myself that I wouldn't become a car person. I failed. I've been 100% car person since the moment I got here.
Like · Reply · 12 hrs

Paul Lalonde
·
Managing Director at Newsy Communications
Years ago when I was a civil servant at the Ontario government we urged municipalities to build their transit systems. Most municipalities responded that it was a nice idea, but even with a moderate increase in usage they would still be a 95% "car community," so that money was better spent investing in stuff like roads, sports and community centres.
https://www.guelphtoday.com/columns...-think-of-the-bus-as-the-loser-cruiser-575916

Absolutely brutally honest...

Guelph *breathes* cars. Guelph will be one of the last Ontario cities to pedestrianize their core. Guelph's idea of progress? Building yet another car parkade downtown on Wilson. It's pathetic...And a tale of two cities. The junkies in the core, and the yoga I'm so green lecturers, for whom riding a bike goes right beyond them, it's not their kind of God, since you don't mantra the accepted mimes.

Then they hop in their oh so green cars and drive.

Downtown Map.jpg
Platform Map.jpg
Platforms U of G.jpg
University of Guelph Map.jpg
fp758x4yaqzy.jpg

Attachments

• Downtown Map.jpg
    Downtown Map.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 1,141
  • Platform Map.jpg
    Platform Map.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 636
  • Platforms U of G.jpg
    Platforms U of G.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 645
  • University of Guelph Map.jpg
    University of Guelph Map.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 969
I'd forgotten that there's a string for Guelph Transit. Mayor Cam Guthrie's blog which I'm subscribed to mentioned the above in glowing terms:

New post on Mayor Cam Guthrie

xQdmGVHBiQu-vghTaPUY2cehptmnQwbW7vLu3mi9SHVRBRfuMgk68xBVSi8vzNrHUIrMY01Q9EN4Mt0O=s0-d-e1-ft

We Heard You #Guelph! So We’re Changing @GuelphTransit!
by Cam Guthrie
Guelph Transit is changing to get you on board!

New routes!

Special fares!

Improved customer service!

Guelph, Ont., May 26, 2017 – Guelph Transit is excited to announce a number of new and exciting initiatives!

“Guelph Transit continually is looking for opportunities to provide our customers with the very best in customer service, customer amenities and community engagement,” says Mike Spicer, general manager for Guelph Transit. “Our goal is to provide the very best service where and when you need us most, and help you get to the places and events that matter to you. These latest changes are designed to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of our service, and encourage our community to make transit one of the ways of travelling in Guelph!”
Mobility service improvements

Effective Thursday, June 1, residents who are eligible for Mobility Service will have a new option to receive automated telephone calls that will provide a reminder for their pre-booked trip.
Look for an information letter that Guelph Transit will send out to all registered Mobility customers in the next few weeks explaining the new service and asking customers if they would like to opt-in for this great new service.
“One of the benefits of this service is the option to receive an automated call 15 minutes prior to your scheduled pick-up,” explains Spicer. “If the bus is running a bit head or behind schedule the 15 minute call ensures that customers have the time needed to be ready before the bus arrives.”
Other automated calls include trip confirmation (received after a trip is booked through the mobility office) and one day prior notification (a call one day prior to your scheduled pick-up).
September route changes
As a result of the community outreach and feedback received in April on the proposed September route realignment, Guelph Transit made several adjustments to the overall transit system. These changes, along with all proposed routes, will be presented to the City’s Committee of the Whole on June 6.
The route realignment will help alleviate some of the concerns faced by the current system: nearly empty buses in some areas, overloaded buses in other areas, and buses running chronically behind schedule on several routes. It will also strengthen Guelph Transit by putting buses where and when they are needed most to carry passengers.
“We know that the changes coming in September will not make it better for everyone,” says Spicer. “But it is a start to ensure that our base level service is consistent and reliable. Our goal is to continue to improve the customer experience and provide the citizens of Guelph with an affordable, efficient and reliable service that provides value to the community.”
Proposed Special Event Fare
Staff will present a report to the City’s Committee of the Whole on June 6, that will propose a new special event fare program to encourage residents to take the bus when attending a ticketed event at the River Run Centre or Sleeman Centre, including all Guelph Storm home games.
The proposed fare for this program is $1 cash only, valid on conventional and mobility service. Monthly passes will not be reduced as a result of the program, and all other fares programs would continue to be valid. If approved, the special event fare would start this September.
Guelph Transit is well positioned to offer this service to event goers as buses connect at Guelph Central Station, providing service within walking distance to the River Run Centre and Sleeman Centre, and downtown restaurants and shops.
Clean Air Day
Clean Air Day is national program held on the first Wednesday in June to raise community awareness and encourage positive actions relating to clean air and climate change. The City has supported this program since 2001 through various initiatives such as free transit.
Residents who normally take a vehicle to get around Guelph are encouraged to ride Guelph Transit for free on Wednesday, June 7.
City staff will be at Guelph Central Station from 8 a.m. until noon providing information about sustainability and transportation. Staff will also share information about the transit system, bike racks and the accessibility features of conventional transit.
For more information, visit guelphtransit.ca.
For more information:

Mike Spicer, General Manager
Guelph Transit

519-822-1260 extension 3321

mike.spicer@guelph.ca

Brand new routes
The new routes include two new university routes, two new express routes and the 99 Mainline.

40 Scottsdale Express
  • Monday to Friday: 30-minute service between 2:30 p.m. and 6 p.m.
  • Weekends and holidays: no service
  • Supplements 8 Stone Road Mall
  • Provides express service between Guelph Central Station and Stone Road Mall
  • Serves three stops: Guelph Central Station, College at Centennial westbound, and Stone Road Mall terminal
41 Downtown-University Express
  • Monday to Friday: 10-minute service in the morning and afternoon, 15-minute service midday and evenings
  • Weekends: 15-minute service
  • Holidays: no service
  • Supplements 99 Mainline
  • Provides express service between Guelph Central Station and the University Centre
  • Serves four stops (both northbound and southbound): Guelph Central Station, Gordon at Nottingham, Gordon at College, and the University Centre
51U Janefield
  • Monday to Friday: 30-minute service in the morning, midday and afternoon
  • Service only during the fall and winter semesters on days when university classes are being held
  • Supplements 1 Edinburgh College, particularly on Janefield Avenue northbound
52U Kortright
  • Monday to Friday: 30-minute service in the morning and afternoon
  • Service only during the fall and winter semesters on days when university classes are being held
  • Supplements 2 College Edinburgh, particularly on Edinburgh Road southbound
99 Mainline
  • Monday to Friday: 10-minute service, all day
  • Weekends: Every 15 minutes between GCS and Clair Road, Every 30 minutes between GCS and Smart Centres
  • Holidays: reduced service
  • Runs along the Gordon/Norfolk/Woolwich corridor, between Woodlawn Road and Clair Road
  • Connects with other routes at Woodlawn Smart Centres, at Guelph Central Station, at the University Centre and at Clair Road/Gordon Street, as well as serving all stops between these major transfer points
  • Will relieve overloaded buses, develop transit ridership in the Gordon/ Norfolk/ Woolwich corridor, take pressure off of the radial routes to all meet at Guelph Central Station or the University Centre at the same time, and be a step towards higher-order transit in Guelph
Routes that will run on different streets and on a different frequency
1 Edinburgh College and 2 College Edinburgh replaces 1A/B College Edinburgh
  • 30-minute service, all day, seven days a week
  • Runs on a shortened route on Gordon Street instead of East Ring Road. East Ring Road will be served instead by the revised Route 15 University College
3 Westmount replaces the 3A/B East Loop between downtown and Westmount Road
  • Monday to Friday: 20-minute service mornings, midday and afternoons, 30-minute service evenings
  • Weekends: 30-minute service
  • Serves the high-density residential development on the east side of Edinburgh Road between Speedvale Avenue and Woodlawn Road
5 Goodwin replaces 5 Gordon
  • Monday to Friday: 20-minute service mornings, midday and afternoons, 30-minute service evenings
  • Runs on a revised route from the University Centre to Goodwin Drive, running on Victoria Road southbound and Gordon Street northbound
  • Provides continuous service on Victoria Road
8 Stone Road Mall
  • Runs on a shortened route inbound and outbound on Wellington Street instead of Water Street, Maple Street, Forest Street, Bristol Road and Waterloo Avenue
9 Waterloo
  • Runs on a shortened route on West Acres Road instead of Stephanie Drive
11 Willow West
  • Extra bus provided weekdays around 3p.m.
  • Runs on a shortened route on Silvercreek Parkway instead of Marksam Road.
  • Better serves the commercial area along Silvercreek Parkway between Willow Road and Speedvale Avenue
15 University College
  • Runs on a re-aligned inbound route on College Avenue and East Ring Road, instead of Janefield Avenue and Stone Road
16 Southgate
  • Runs on a shortened route from Gordon Street to Southgate Drive, instead of running along Gordon Street to downtown
  • Connects with the 99 Mainline
17 Woodlawn Watson and 18 Watson Woodlawn replace 2A/B West Loop and 3A/B East Loop
  • Provide a bi-directional loop around the city without going downtown
  • Realigned to provide a connection to the Stone Road Mall terminal
56U Colonial replaces 56 Victoria Express
  • Runs from the University Centre to Goodwin Drive, on Gordon Street southbound and northbound
  • Combined with the new Route 5, provides two-way service along Goodwin Drive and Farley Drive
  • Provides new service on Clair Road between between Farley Road and Beaver Meadow Drive
Routes that will run on the same frequency but on different streets

10 Imperial
  • Monday to Friday: 20-minute service mornings and afternoons, 30-minute service midday and evenings
  • Buses on this route will no longer enter the West End Community Centre; however, they will stop on Imperial Road. This change is to avoid congestion in the community centre parking lot and to enable transit operators to maintain route schedules.
12 General Hospital
  • Monday to Friday: 20-minute service mornings and afternoons, 30-minute service midday and evenings
  • Runs inbound to Guelph Central Station via Wyndham Street and outbound via Woolwich Street. This change is due to a new platform at Guelph Central Station.
13 Victoria Road Recreation Centre
  • Runs on a shortened route on Eramosa Road and Stevenson Street instead of Metcalfe Street and Grange Street
  • Provides more direct service to John F Ross Collegiate Vocational Institute
  • Runs in the reverse direction on the Auden/Watt/Starwood loop, to take advantage of the existing traffic control signals for the left turn out from Starwood Drive onto Eastview Road
Routes that will run on the same streets but on a different frequency
These routes will run every 30 minutes, all day on weekdays and weekends.
Routes with name changes
The following routes will run on the same streets and with the same frequencies as they do now:
Routes with no changes
The following routes will run on the same streets and with the same frequencies as they do now:

Well it is a news release so of course it'll be spun that way.

I'd forgotten that there's a string for Guelph Transit. Mayor Cam Guthrie's blog which I'm subscribed to mentioned the above in glowing terms:

New post on Mayor Cam Guthrie

xQdmGVHBiQu-vghTaPUY2cehptmnQwbW7vLu3mi9SHVRBRfuMgk68xBVSi8vzNrHUIrMY01Q9EN4Mt0O=s0-d-e1-ft

We Heard You #Guelph! So We’re Changing @GuelphTransit!
by Cam Guthrie
Guelph Transit is changing to get you on board!

New routes!

Special fares!

Improved customer service!

Guelph, Ont., May 26, 2017 – Guelph Transit is excited to announce a number of new and exciting initiatives!

“Guelph Transit continually is looking for opportunities to provide our customers with the very best in customer service, customer amenities and community engagement,” says Mike Spicer, general manager for Guelph Transit. “Our goal is to provide the very best service where and when you need us most, and help you get to the places and events that matter to you. These latest changes are designed to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of our service, and encourage our community to make transit one of the ways of travelling in Guelph!”
Mobility service improvements

Effective Thursday, June 1, residents who are eligible for Mobility Service will have a new option to receive automated telephone calls that will provide a reminder for their pre-booked trip.
Look for an information letter that Guelph Transit will send out to all registered Mobility customers in the next few weeks explaining the new service and asking customers if they would like to opt-in for this great new service.
“One of the benefits of this service is the option to receive an automated call 15 minutes prior to your scheduled pick-up,” explains Spicer. “If the bus is running a bit head or behind schedule the 15 minute call ensures that customers have the time needed to be ready before the bus arrives.”
Other automated calls include trip confirmation (received after a trip is booked through the mobility office) and one day prior notification (a call one day prior to your scheduled pick-up).
September route changes
As a result of the community outreach and feedback received in April on the proposed September route realignment, Guelph Transit made several adjustments to the overall transit system. These changes, along with all proposed routes, will be presented to the City’s Committee of the Whole on June 6.
The route realignment will help alleviate some of the concerns faced by the current system: nearly empty buses in some areas, overloaded buses in other areas, and buses running chronically behind schedule on several routes. It will also strengthen Guelph Transit by putting buses where and when they are needed most to carry passengers.
“We know that the changes coming in September will not make it better for everyone,” says Spicer. “But it is a start to ensure that our base level service is consistent and reliable. Our goal is to continue to improve the customer experience and provide the citizens of Guelph with an affordable, efficient and reliable service that provides value to the community.”
Proposed Special Event Fare
Staff will present a report to the City’s Committee of the Whole on June 6, that will propose a new special event fare program to encourage residents to take the bus when attending a ticketed event at the River Run Centre or Sleeman Centre, including all Guelph Storm home games.
The proposed fare for this program is $1 cash only, valid on conventional and mobility service. Monthly passes will not be reduced as a result of the program, and all other fares programs would continue to be valid. If approved, the special event fare would start this September.
Guelph Transit is well positioned to offer this service to event goers as buses connect at Guelph Central Station, providing service within walking distance to the River Run Centre and Sleeman Centre, and downtown restaurants and shops.
Clean Air Day
Clean Air Day is national program held on the first Wednesday in June to raise community awareness and encourage positive actions relating to clean air and climate change. The City has supported this program since 2001 through various initiatives such as free transit.
Residents who normally take a vehicle to get around Guelph are encouraged to ride Guelph Transit for free on Wednesday, June 7.
City staff will be at Guelph Central Station from 8 a.m. until noon providing information about sustainability and transportation. Staff will also share information about the transit system, bike racks and the accessibility features of conventional transit.
For more information, visit guelphtransit.ca.
For more information:

Mike Spicer, General Manager
Guelph Transit

519-822-1260 extension 3321

mike.spicer@guelph.ca

Well it is a news release so of course it'll be spun that way.
The real change of note for a system I found very frustrating and inefficient is the 99 route. That was what was being promoted in various forms by the last two Bus Managers, along with artics to run it. It would be akin to a subway spine with other routes leading into it, not following it to Guelph Central, which is still an incredibly inefficient way of doing things. It's still hub and spoke, albeit with a spine added. For a city of over 130,000, it's a small town system. And will be for the for-see-able future at this rate.

Back