News   Mar 28, 2024
 480     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 321     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 332     0 

Green Party of Canada: Leadership Race

I hope the federal Greens end up looking something similar to the Ontario Greens.

Does this seem likely under Paul's leadership?

I'm seeking an alternative to the Liberals and Conservatives, not an alternative to the NDP.

Mike Schreiner's Ontario Green is a mixture of Green policies, small-business advocacy, and entrepreneurship is a winning combination for me.

Does this seem likely under Paul's leadership?

I'm seeking an alternative to the Liberals and Conservatives, not an alternative to the NDP.

Mike Schreiner's Ontario Green is a mixture of Green policies, small-business advocacy, and entrepreneurship is a winning combination for me.

The Greens have always had an eclectic policy mix.

The party's platform is very membership driven.

Much less executive control.

You tend to get a mix of people from across the political spectrum and folks who are very hard to peg on the spectrum.

So you tend to see policies with both right-leaning and left-leaning components.

Say, free university, but a balanced budget.

Paul will definitely have a more lefty tilt when speaking vs May.

But will it change the party or its platform?.............TBD.

Good article here from the Globe providing some background on Ms. Paul.

Speaks 4 languages - English, French, Spanish and Catalan.

Lawyer

Degrees from Ottawa (Bachelor of Laws) and Princeton (Masters of Public Affairs)

Recruited out of Uni to work for Global Affairs.

Lived in Europe for an extended period.

Mom and wife.

It would be easier to get excited if she weren't leading an irrelevant rump party. Or we had a system that was conducive to such parties having much if any influence. I will be astonished if she gets a seat in the House. At least May had that.

It would be easier to get excited if she weren't leading an irrelevant rump party. Or we had a system that was conducive to such parties having much if any influence. I will be astonished if she gets a seat in the House. At least May had that.

While I am certainly a champion of electoral reform; I would suggest that you not underestimate the role a small party can play.

With only 3 seats the Greens were able prop up and influence the government of BC; with that same number, they were influential with a minority government in NB, and today carry great sway in PEI.

I'm under no illusion such influence exists today federally, or likely will after the next election, but one can't rule it out either.

I could see her winning the by election now how would they do in a general election is another question.

I voted for Ms Paul in our leadership contest and am glad she won because she's my kind of person. Catalan! No, I kid, I kid.* An internationalist type. And a moderate, reasonable person. Which could not be said for a good number of other leadership contestants.

Anyway, I'm happy she decided to run again in Toronto Centre because it is very important to her, and she made this clear when she was elected leader, that she's not about parachuting into a riding she doesn't have a history with and as she lives in Toronto Centre she feels best suited to run for office there. I fully support this decision, even if it may mean she loses again.
I fully agree with her views on representing the places you know and live in.

That being said, I hope she wins this time as the people of Toronto Centre deserve an MP that will represent their views rather than represent the views of the government to them (as is my lovely experience with my MP, Arif "Thanks for your question, here's what our government is doing, sorry for not answering your question nor helping you at all-not sorry" Virani).

Best of luck to her, sad I can't vote for her again. It's rare that someone I choose wins anything so her leadership win was like Christmas to me let me tell ya what.

*--Maybe not.....my early retirement plan may or may not include moving to Catalunya. ;)

Apparently she was thinking of parachuting into Guelph, a city she doesn't have history with.

Yeah, it was being considered. They were weighing the need to get the leader elected with her reluctance to do so in that way. And it's rather irrelevant because we can see that she stood by her convictions.

I know, it's a bit mind-blowing given she's an apparent politician.

So, as I said, entirely irrelevant because the outcome is the one I and other members would expect from her.

With the perceived left-ward movement of both the Liberals and NDP, I don't know where the Greens find their opening.

Annamie is anti Covax, so good luck getting elected in Toronto Centre.
Ok, you're just being obtuse or purposely mischaracterising this fine lady.

Read what you linked again. Or learn to read.

She's not anti-COVAX. She's against us drawing supply from it because its main purpose is to allow less fortunate nations access to vaccines and because we already have enough supply guaranteed through other contracts.

The Greens internal meltdown seems to be continuing apace; while the Star is leaked recordings of more than 1 internal meeting.

Behind the paywall:

Back