235     0 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 267     0 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 411     0 

Greater Toronto Area - GTA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Golden Horseshoe is, strictly speaking, Oshawa-Niagara Falls.

What do you dislike about Greater Golden Horseshoe? I think it's a fine name to describe how the region functions; basically a bundle of quickly developing and prosperous city-regions that share a geographic proximity and therefore a certain density of scale. What would you prefer? The Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area including Kitchener-Waterloo Separate Satellite City, Barrie Satellite Suburban Area and Surrounding Simcoe Growth Area, Niagara Geographic Proximity region and Peterborough, Brantford, and Northumberland Outlying Urban Areas? If so, I'm sure the GTHAK-WSSCBSSASSGANGPRPBNOUA will catch on very quickly in casual usage. :p

Toronto might be the centre of the region, but it's not quite the centre like Chicago is the centre of Metro Chicago, or NYC is the Centre of the NYC Metro area. It's more like the San Francisco Bay Area which is given the general name of "Bay Area" much like the Greater Golden Horseshoe.

My problem with "Greater Golden Horseshoe" is that it's basically just combining "Greater Toronto Area" and "Golden Horseshoe" into one, bloated, poorly named mashup. "Greater Golden Horseshoe"? It just sounds awful. I say this because growing up my dad had a poster that was titled "The Golden Horseshoe" and that has a lovely poetic sound to it. "Greater Golden Horseshoe" just stounds hackneyed and political.

My problem with "Greater Golden Horseshoe" is that it's basically just combining "Greater Toronto Area" and "Golden Horseshoe" into one, bloated, poorly named mashup. "Greater Golden Horseshoe"? It just sounds awful. I say this because growing up my dad had a poster that was titled "The Golden Horseshoe" and that has a lovely poetic sound to it. "Greater Golden Horseshoe" just stounds hackneyed and political.
Actually, no. The "Inner Golden Horseshoe" which is the original term already encompasses the entire GTA. The "Greater Golden Horseshoe" includes Kitchener-Waterloo, Guelph, Barrie, Peterborough, Kawartha, Northumberland, and Brantford.

I think the Greater Golden Horseshoe is a lot better than the Golden Horseshoe. When you look at the big mega-region encompassing Toronto (i.e. West Lake Ontario,) the GGH is really the big interacting area.

Btw, if you were basing your dislike on the idea that the Greater Golden Horseshoe is a melding of the Greater Toronto area and Golden Horseshoe, that's untrue.

So, what was so ignorant about what I said? Care to explain?

It came across to me as an overly aggressive reaction to someone who tried to answer your question but, i guess, in your eyes "missed the mark". It certainly seemed to me that LI tried to answer your question but you whacked him with your reply instead of something along the lines of "thanks but what I was getting at was more 'X' " (IMO)

Actually, no. The "Inner Golden Horseshoe" which is the original term already encompasses the entire GTA. The "Greater Golden Horseshoe" includes Kitchener-Waterloo, Guelph, Barrie, Peterborough, Kawartha, Northumberland, and Brantford.

I think the Greater Golden Horseshoe is a lot better than the Golden Horseshoe. When you look at the big mega-region encompassing Toronto (i.e. West Lake Ontario,) the GGH is really the big interacting area.

Btw, if you were basing your dislike on the idea that the Greater Golden Horseshoe is a melding of the Greater Toronto area and Golden Horseshoe, that's untrue.

"Inner Golden Horseshoe"? When has this term ever been used. Like I already pointed out, "Golden Horseshoe" has been a term as long as I can remember. The Golden Horseshoe already encompasses Toronto, Hamilton, Niagara Falls. What more do you need to encompass that a term like "Greater Golden Horseshoe"? The next level up might as well be Southern Ontario. What's the point of having the GTA, the GTAH, the Golden Horseshoe, the Greater Golden Horseshoe, Southern Ontario, Southwestern Ontario, etc etc.

I never said Greater Golden Horseshoe was a melding of GTA and Golden Horseshoe. But it sounds like/is a combination of the terms for some unknown reason. It sounds like something a bureaucrat came up with. Golden Horseshoe is a very old term. GTA is a newer one. It's like someone decided to combine the two to come up with a newfangled term that didn't need to be come up with. The "Greater Golden Horseshoe" just irks me incredibly. I have had a major hate-on for it since I first heard it. It's taking a beautiful term and making it ugly. You clearly don't "get" why I hate the term, so don't bother to try "explaining" the existence of the term again because it's not about that.

So, what was so ignorant about what I said? Care to explain?

It struck me as more rude than ignorant. Usually when someone goes out of their way to be helpful, a "thank you" is the appropriate response.

Just tryin' to be helpful, Erv. ;-)

It struck me as more rude than ignorant. Usually when someone goes out of their way to be helpful, a "thank you" is the appropriate response.

Just tryin' to be helpful, Erv. ;-)
Jeez, we're too diplomatic in Toronto. The guy acted liked an ungrateful ass, and everyone is trying to explain why they're not happy. You don't have to explain anything to this guy.

You're right, absolutely nobody needs to explain anything to me, just as i don't need to thank somebody for posting in a thread without reading past the first sentence of the original post. Maybe I am too accustomed to the days when that was considered obnoxious rather than "helpful".

Also: here's a radical idea; how about not making a joint effort to derail this thread? Question was answered a few posts in, move along unless you have something else worth talking about on the subject.

Last edited:
You're right, absolutely nobody needs to explain anything to me, just as i don't need to thank somebody for posting in a thread without reading past the first sentence of the original post. Maybe I am too accustomed to the days when that was considered obnoxious rather than "helpful".

Also: here's a radical idea; how about not making a joint effort to derail this thread? Question was answered a few posts in, move along unless you have something else worth talking about on the subject.

But he didn't what so ever.

So how about you grow up and learn to be more respectful, instead of making excuses for your behaviour.
--------------------------------------
As for the question at hand, the GTA is the following

Toronto(north york, Scarborough, east york, york city and etobicoke)
York
Durham
Peel
Halton

This is the core, most recognized and the old/former planning region. These areas are politically separate and the city has no jurisdiction over these areas. It was a name developed in the early 1990's as Toronto's growth started to take off, along with nearby areas and suburbs.

Sometimes, due to the fact they are included in the Toronto CMA, these are mentioned as part of the GTA
Orangeville
Mono Township
New Tecumseth(Alliston, Tottenham)
Bradford West Gwillimbury

Sometimes, the following is also including in the GTA due to strong commuter ties and also is a major part of the new provincial planning area
(Lower)Hamilton
Ancaster
Dundas
Stoney Creek
Glanbrook
This forms the Greater Toronto Hamilton Area or GTHA

Last edited:
When asking vague questions, it's probably best not to greet replies with snarky comments.

To answer your question, the GTA is not really a political unit. AFAIK, the only formal organization spanning the GTA is Metrolinx (formerly Greater Toronto Transportation Authority). Beyond that, Toronto is the core of the metropolitan area, just like every other metropolitan area in the world. It doesn't have any special control over the other municipalities.

If you want a smarter answer, ask a smarter question. What are you getting at?

But he didn't what so ever.

So how about you grow up and learn to be more respectful, instead of making excuses for your behaviour.
Excuses for my behavior? What are you talking about? What are these "excuses" that you say I am making exactly? While you're at it, please do tell me what kind of a behavior I have? And what about it was more disrespectful than telling a person to "grow up"?

Also, if you're so offended by posts that were not rude what so ever, and if you view simple honesty as some kind of an attack on somebody, then the only person that needs to grow up is you. I grew out of the whole "let's attack anybody who less than praises replies" mentality when I was in middle school.
When asking vague questions, it's probably best not to greet replies with snarky comments.

If you find that question vague, then you definitely have reading comprehension issues. Also, there was nothing snarky about my reply.

By the way, finishing your reply with the millionth explanation for what GTA is does not make your post anything more than a derail. Nice try though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back