News   Jul 18, 2024
 239     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 680     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.9K     3 

Great Films! Comment or Suggest Some....

Brüno isn't going to win any Oscars but if your up for something light which includes some extremely hilarious, uncomfortable moments Brüno is your answer. Sacha Baron Cohen & Larry Charles do it again, and they deliver scene after scene of outrageous, politically incorrect humour in spades. The blue hair crowd at the Varsity screening this afternoon seemed to find little humour in it but I laughed until my throat hurt (party from holding back laughing at some wonderfully inappropriate, cringe worthy moments) and my friend laughed even harder.

Ryan Reynolds Snags ‘Green Lantern’ Movie Role

After months of debating between Justin Timberlake, Bradely Cooper, and Ryan Reynolds, Warner Bros. finally decided to go with Ryan Reynolds to play the “Green Lantern.â€

RyanGreen.jpg

Jordan_pacheco.jpg

"Inglorious Basterds"

I just got in from seeing Quentin Tarantino's "Inglorious Basterds". I'm a huge Tarantino fan (save for Jackie Brown, which he didn't write) and this is his best film to date. Now it's not as much "fun" as his great films "Pulp Fiction" and "Kill Bill(s)", but the writing, cinematography, acting (Brad Pitt shines as usual) and endless cultural references shows Tarantino in the top of his form - or can he really do better? I have a feeling he still has his truly "great film" yet to come. The story itself is about the most outrageous thing about the film, which I certainly won't divulge. If you do plan on seeing it, read nothing about it before going. Let Taranto's fairy tale story take you along for the ride.
Although violent, it's not as violent as some of his earlier pictures.
Highly recommended. This film deserves to be seen in it's CinemaScope splendor on a giant screen with good digital sound.
Currently playing in Varsity screen #8 (good sized screen, THX & digital sound).

Capitalism: A Love Story, highly recommended. It's grim but Michael Moore makes another stand-out film here and I even learned a few things. Watch for this at Oscar time.

Son of Rambow is another British film worth mentioning. It's a comedy about a boy with a video camera who wants to make his own version of the Sylvester Stalone film Rambo. His project quickly gets out of control. There are no big stars in the film, but it has a great 1980s soundtrack.

Once Upon A Time In The West

A magnificent western which should only be seen on a large screen with surround-sound to see and hear the stunning cinematography and score. The first twelve minutes of the movie are comprised of background noises and just one line of dialogue which makes it one of the best openings to a movie. Charles Bronson, Henry Fonda, Jason Robards and Claudia Cardinale star.

I love Sergio Leone films especially his stuff from the 60's. I used to watch his films at the Biltmore and Rio cinemas on Yonge Street back in the late 70's & early 80's before they hit videotape. I don't recall the rep. cinemas playing his films, they seemed mostly destined to play the grindhouse circuit. The Good, The Bad and the Ugly was restored and got a Blu ray release last year and it looks absolutely stunning after watching it so many times with scratchy, faded, beat-up prints or crappy video/DVD copies. I've been hoping for other Leone Blu ray releases but no announcements yet.

Leone's films were never really appreciated at the times of their respective releases but they eventually became classics in cinema.

Once Upon A Time In The West was supposed to be released by Paramount in Blu-Ray format this year (2009) but so far, no luck.

Absolutely, Leone's films were widely disregarded until they became more accessible in the 80's & 90's and found a following.
I read that The Film Foundation (which was founded by Martin Scorsese) restored the film brilliantly. It played select cities, a few film festival screenings and has been released on DVD but I've read nothing on a Blu ray release. I won't buy DVD's so I guess I'm in for a wait.

Go see Food, Inc. at the Cumberland.

Wow. Amazing what we get fed.

I finally watched "Food Inc." tonight, it's now out on DVD.

Everyone must see this film, it's very important. If your more inclined to read, pick up "Fast Food Nation" (avoid the film). Basically the same topic, different media.

Fast Food Nation was scary. It should be classified as a horror movie. I don't like horror movies.

LOL!

By mid-film I was beginning to feel quite anxious and distressed and I was tossing the idea around in my head about turning it off. I kept at it and I'm really glad I did. I know more now about the crap that goes into my body and (without giving much away) when I ejected the disc I felt empowered to make better food choices, extremely motivated to educate myself further about putting healthy products into my body and will "vote" about what goes into my grocery cart at the checkout counter.

Back