News   Jul 18, 2024
 229     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 674     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.9K     3 

Great Films! Comment or Suggest Some....

Actually, closing your eyes and choosing something at random from The Criterion Collection might give the best odds for choosing an excellent film.

Good stuff. I really liked Full Metal Jacket as well, particularly the first half.

I note the first Robocop movie is in there. It might sound strange, but I consider that to be a very good sci-fi flick. The second wasn't very good and the third was garbage. I hear they are making a new Robocop remake as well.

As if there's any creativity left in Hollywood.

The Blues Brothers had everything - great car chases, some great lines and scenes, not to mention music and cameos and the Illinois Nazis. Carrie Fisher as the crazy lady was hilarious.

Last edited:
There is currently another JG Ballard novel being made into a film called High Rise. It is about a completely self-sufficient high-rise building isolated from the rest of society that descends into tribal warfare and all the residents kill each other. Sounds really cool.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Rise

I think I'll check this one out at the library. Ballard did some great dystopian stuff--I remember reading and enjoying Drowned World for a Sci-Fi course in university.

There is currently another JG Ballard novel being made into a film called High Rise. It is about a completely self-sufficient high-rise building isolated from the rest of society that descends into tribal warfare and all the residents kill each other. Sounds really cool.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Rise

If I may bring up Cronenberg again, he made a film with a somewhat similar premise in 1975 (obviously, pre-AIDS) called "Shivers" (aka "The Parasite Murders" (TV title)/"They Came From Within" (US theatrical title). In a new, exclusive, self contained and secluded apartment tower on a small island outside of Montreal a virus breaks out in a resident who begins transmitting it to others via sexual transmission. The infected's heightened sexual desire continues to infect more and more residents until only a few remain.
Classic '70's horror. Dated, but effective and still fun today.

If I may bring up Cronenberg again, he made a film with a somewhat similar premise in 1975 (obviously, pre-AIDS) called "Shivers" (aka "The Parasite Murders" (TV title)/"They Came From Within" (US theatrical title). In a new, exclusive, self contained and secluded apartment tower on a small island outside of Montreal a virus breaks out in a resident who begins transmitting it to others via sexual transmission. The infected's heightened sexual desire continues to infect more and more residents until only a few remain.
Classic '70's horror. Dated, but effective and still fun today.

With Rabid (and Marylin Chambers) soon to follow.

Slightly off topic, I remember years ago there was a Cronenberg exhibition in the bowels of the ROM. Had some nice pieces such as the gynecological instruments from Dead Ringers and various other pieces and clips from many of his films. Really impressive and creepy at the same time. I've always enjoyed his work.

With Rabid (and Marylin Chambers) soon to follow.

Slightly off topic, I remember years ago there was a Cronenberg exhibition in the bowels of the ROM. Had some nice pieces such as the gynecological instruments from Dead Ringers and various other pieces and clips from many of his films. Really impressive and creepy at the same time. I've always enjoyed his work.

Yes! Rabid (tres-cool 70's trailer!) is a great film. I first saw that on a double bill at the Yonge Theatre (now Elgin) back in the late 70's paired with "Shivers" (hilarious trailer). I'm a big Cronenberg fan too (obviously!) with the exception of eXistenZ. I would have loved to have seen that exhibit, I'd never heard of that before.
I saw him early one evening a couple of summers ago casually strolling Bloor W. with (presumably) his wife.

I forgot about Videodrome, I thought the only Cronenberg movie I watched was Eastern Promises.

Videodrome has an awesome ending. The movie is very weird but the (even weirder) ending gives whole new meaning to it.

A great (or stupid) ending can make (or break) a movie, in my opinion. While I was watching Blade Runner I was already enjoying it a lot, but the sililoquy at the end makes the movie unforgettable, the most memorable moment in all film history, imo.

Other movies with great endings are Donnie Darko, Sixth Sense, Lucky Number Slevin, just to name a few. I just like movies with great endings. Long live the new flesh!

Pontypool

I just saw Bruce McDonald's (Toronto film maker) Pontypool. It's a different kind of zombie movie where a killer virus infects the English language and is spread through speech. We tear each other up because of "this virus" and only a new way of understanding cures the world of this epidemic.

You can see what you want to see in this film and obviously there is some commentary on the power of language in our world today.

Interesting film....

Sharon

I just saw Bruce McDonald's (Toronto film maker) Pontypool. It's a different kind of zombie movie where a killer virus infects the English language and is spread through speech. We tear each other up because of "this virus" and only a new way of understanding cures the world of this epidemic.

You can see what you want to see in this film and obviously there is some commentary on the power of language in our world today.

Interesting film....

Sharon

Wait, that sounds very interesting, but if it only infects the English Language, couldn't everybody just learn a different language and problem solved???

To each his own ... I thought it was a missed opportunity. More could have been done with the idea. Maybe my problem was just an inability to suspend disbelief. But having said that, good luck in his future endeavours, to a homegrown talent.

Akira - Greatest movie of all time.

Grave of the Fireflies - Excellent film about two orphans struggling to survive during World War II.

Princess Mononoke - Compelling film with a great (but not heavy handed) message.

Fistful of Dollars

For A Few Dollars More

The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly

Once Upon A Time In The West

These films speak for themselves.

Unforgiven - Yet another great Western.

American History X - A great film about hate.

The Departed

L.A. Confidential - I haven't actually seen this, but if it is as good as the book (and surprisingly, all the opinions I've read say yes), then it is definitely a great film.

And two films that I would say are not as great as the ones I have listed, but get points for relating to my viewpoint on life:

Collateral

School For Scoundrels

Lastly, I concur with Brian69 - Idiocracy is a terrifying account of our future.

Back