News   May 15, 2024
 75     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 2K     1 
News   May 14, 2024
 1.5K     1 

Google Maps

Google has updated their imagery for Toronto. Not sure when the change happened, but it's different than it was yesterday.

The imagery seems to be very recent. The Cirque du Soleil tents are set up in the portlands while The Ex also seems to be on, so that narrows it down to the time around the first week of September.

The new images stretch from Courtice to the east, Newmarket to the north, and Milton/Hamilton to the west.

• Lots of new construction projects are done.
  • The Skydome is in the process of opening or closing, which is kind of neat.
  • You can see what the new Porter terminal looks like.
  • T2 at Pearson is all gone.
  • The 410 extension is close to being done.

I also noticed this today, particularly around CityPlace. Parade is well under construction in the Google images. The Simcoe underpass is open as well, but the Map layer has not been updated to show the Simcoe/Lower Simcoe connection.

Last edited:
Google has updated their imagery for Toronto. Not sure when the change happened, but it's different than it was yesterday.

the imagery date is from august 31 2009.

i can say for sure that the images were new yesterday as well. maybe you've been loading old images from your browser cache?

i was gonna say something about the new images but when i saw the date august 31 2009, i thought it was old news.

P.S, UT seems to be a little low in activity between sometime yesterday and today. maybe this update is why.

Last edited:

i can say for sure that the images were new yesterday as well. maybe you've been loading old images from your browser cache?

i was gonna say something about the new images but when i saw the date august 31 2009, i thought it was old news.

P.S, UT seems to be a little low in activity between sometime yesterday and today. maybe this update is why.

I've heard that Google has multiple servers, and they don't all get updated at the same time. So, there's been discussions when one group of people are seeing different images from another group.

Where do you find the imagery date? Google Earth?

I've heard that Google has multiple servers, and they don't all get updated at the same time. So, there's been discussions when one group of people are seeing different images from another group.

Where do you find the imagery date? Google Earth?

i think you're right about the servers. i remember being switched back and forth between imagery one time over a short period.

yup, the date is in google earth.

personally, i find the new images to be a bit grainy when you zoom in all the way. they are brighter and greener though. ah, memories of summer.

i'm guessing that the data from toronto roads comes from fleet GPS units and personal GPS units.

How? Are there any GPS receivers available that transmit their position data? Where do they send it to?

The imagery seems to be very recent. The Cirque du Soleil tents are set up in the portlands while The Ex also seems to be on, so that narrows it down to the time around the first week of September.

The new images stretch from Courtice to the east, Newmarket to the north, and Milton/Hamilton to the west.

• Lots of new construction projects are done.
  • The Skydome is in the process of opening or closing, which is kind of neat.
  • You can see what the new Porter terminal looks like.
  • T2 at Pearson is all gone.
  • The 410 extension is close to being done.
I know, it's wonderful! And it's green!!! No more of those brown fall colours, but a beautiful green landscape. I've always envied how Montreal and Vancouver's images were taken during the summer, so now we're all even.

And you're so close on guessing first week of September, the pics were taken on August 31st.

There is still the very odd change of seasons and paint colour at the corner of George Street and Richmond Street east when one is 'travelling' north on George. Clearly not all images are new!

There is still the very odd change of seasons and paint colour at the corner of George Street and Richmond Street east when one is 'travelling' north on George. Clearly not all images are new!

are you talking about street view or satellite view?

What are the patterns in the sand at Ashbridge's Bay? It looks like someone drove out there and went looping around and around.

Last edited:
Is there something that indicates August 31st?

It's certainly from around then, but the 31st was a Monday, and if you look at the images, most businesses parking lots are empty, so it's likely a weekend. Probably a Saturday from the crowds around the St. Lawrence Market (though I'm not there on Sunday mornings).

The Ex is open, so it's past 10 AM, but not too much by the angle of the shadows, the number of people inside, etc.

There's a large crowd at the entrance to the EX near the GO station, and to the east you can see an eastbound GO has just departed. Probably the 10 AM or 11 AM departure ... probably late.

Back