News   Jul 26, 2024
 301     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 327     0 

Goodlife Health Clubs, opinions please

Mustapha

Member Bio
Reaction score
Been going for a few years. $45. a month. Pros: cheap. Cons: like an anthill sometimes, too many people. Wife goes to Dunfield at Yonge and Eg. Higher class joint, much more money. Son goes to Eclipse, same nabe, tons more money.

So, I'm cheap. is there a Goodlife priced place that's has nice surroundings; better soap in the showers, free cologne, etc?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

-Moose

Not sure where you live but what about Extreme Fitness?
I checked out the one on Richmond St W a few months ago and it is stunning! 3 floors at least, really good equipement, lots of classes, juice bar and even an Internet lounge. I think the guy quoted under $60/month but I'm sure you can negotiate even lower. I know someone who talked it down to $30 at Good Life.

Not sure where you live but what about Extreme Fitness?
I checked out the one on Richmond St W a few months ago and it is stunning! 3 floors at least, really good equipement, lots of classes, juice bar and even an Internet lounge. I think the guy quoted under $60/month but I'm sure you can negotiate even lower. I know someone who talked it down to $30 at Good Life.

Thanks MV5girl, I'll go check it out.

It's also a good idea to go to two different locations of the same chain and play them off each other. For example, if you really want to go to the Extreme on Richmond, go to the Extreme at Dundas Square as well and see what offer they make you. If it's better than Extreme on Richmond, then go back to Richmond and demand the same (or better) price.

It's also a good idea to go to two different locations of the same chain and play them off each other. For example, if you really want to go to the Extreme on Richmond, go to the Extreme at Dundas Square as well and see what offer they make you. If it's better than Extreme on Richmond, then go back to Richmond and demand the same (or better) price.

Funny, I used to work at a company where the branch offices used to compete against each other like this.:) Thanks!

I'm a member of Extreme. It was soooooooooo much better when the gym was operated by Sports Clubs. Extreme is a pile of crap! Though it's better than working out in a basement at Goodlife next door.

I've never understood gym culture so maybe I ask a naive question: is it a good pick up joint? (I always hated gym class in high school so I tend to avoid the places.)

For heterosexuals, at least, gyms are a terrible place to pick up. People (both men and women) are mostly concentrated on their workout routine, have their iPods on and will not want to start a conversation with you. You might as well just strike up a convo on the subway - your chances would be just as good.

Extreme varies from gym to gym. The Richmond/Scotiabank one is decent while the old Bally's at Bay and Bloor feels like a museum of medieval exercise equipment. My advice would be to go to the Extreme at TLS, which has the lowest rates because it's U/C and doesn't even have showers yet, and tell them you're going to walk if they don't include access to other Extreme's in your plan. It worked for me, but I still think it's a pretty expensive place to go.

For heterosexuals, at least, gyms are a terrible place to pick up. People (both men and women) are mostly concentrated on their workout routine, have their iPods on and will not want to start a conversation with you. You might as well just strike up a convo on the subway - your chances would be just as good.

Extreme varies from gym to gym. The Richmond/Scotiabank one is decent while the old Bally's at Bay and Bloor feels like a museum of medieval exercise equipment. My advice would be to go to the Extreme at TLS, which has the lowest rates because it's U/C and doesn't even have showers yet, and tell them you're going to walk if they don't include access to other Extreme's in your plan. It worked for me, but I still think it's a pretty expensive place to go.

Agreed, although I am no longer in play :(:eek:; I have never in my 5 years at various Goodlifes 5 days a week witnessed flirting or anything remotely close.

If I was 'in play, I might try those 'It's Just Lunch' meetups.

You have to be kidding. No showers yet?

Nope. They basically just opened up a small space before 80% of it was even finished building, and that doesn't include showers or air conditioning. As a result, I just pay the rate that I would have to pay if I were only to use the TLS gym but negotiated with them so that I could access to other facilities in the chain. You don't have to be a great haggler to do this; like a lot of gyms they are really desperate for clients, so don't be afraid to walk away.

Agreed, although I am no longer in play ; I have never in my 5 years at various Goodlifes 5 days a week witnessed flirting or anything remotely close.

If I was 'in play, I might try those 'It's Just Lunch' meetups.

Ha ha. Thank god I'm not on the market, either. This city is not exactly crawling with single girls. I would be wary about speed dating or "it's just lunch". Women I knew who went to those were already in a relationship and simply went because having men fawn over them was a tremendous ego boost!

Thanks for the confirmation. I hope you got a really good discount. The lack of showers is a definite deal breaker for me.

Like the pseudo high-roller I am, I joined the Extreme Fitness Wellington Club. Right now it's under renovations, which is annoying, but it's coming along and is a really nice club. The employees there are super friendly and very helpful, plus the views looking out onto the TD Centre are great. You also get access to the Royal York's pool and facilities with your membership, which is nice. It is pricey though, I pay $70/month and that's with a family deal. I'm not sure what the regular rate is.

I figure though, knowing myself, money is a prime motivator so it's definitely worth it. All my previous attempts to get in better shape have failed, but this time it's actually working.

Back