News   May 07, 2024
 83     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 684     3 
News   May 07, 2024
 462     0 

Gooderham Building (Flatiron) renovation?

marcus_a_j

Member Bio
Reaction score
I noticed today that the Flatiron building had scaffolding up around it. I don't know how long it's been up since I haven't been in that part of town for some time so it might not be new news to some. I figure it's for some renovation or restoration. What struck me as odd was that the mural on the west side overlooking the park was gone. Anyone know what is happening? For some reason I always thought it was painted on the bricks. I guess not since it was probably taken down while work on the building is going.

In the P&C thread for University Triangle, Urban Shocker said, "Derek Besant's mural on the back of the Flatiron building overlooking Berczy Park is ... undergoing renovation ... at a cost of $75,000."

The building has been undergoing restoration for about a year now. They're literally taking the bricks out one by one and restoring/replacing them. At least that's what they said during Doors Open earlier this year.

Does anyone know how it managed to survive when the rest of that block was demolished? Images I've seen of the proposed redevelopment of that part of town in the '60s, to make way for various cultural buildings, indicate that it was supposed to be toast.

In 1957, the Goodenham family sold the building to Velco Investments who eventually sold it to David and Thomas Flatiron Building, TorontoWalsh for $600,000 in 1973. The Walshes invested many dollars in the renovation of the Flatiron and saved it from demolition when everything around it was being leveled. It received its National Historic Site designation in 1975.

Michael and Anne Tippin bought the Flatiron in 1998 and also invested much money into further restoration of this grand structure.

From http://www.aviewoncities.com/toronto/flatiron.htm

Long before Besant, didn't Gooderham have a Rita Letendre abstraction type thing on its party-wall face? (I could be mistaken.)

Long before Besant, didn't Gooderham have a Rita Letendre abstraction type thing on its party-wall face? (I could be mistaken.)

Daniel Solomon?

Commentaries & Related Events

September 3
"Charles Lombard, president of Benson & Hedges Tobacco Co., announces an artwalls-mural project for three public sites in Toronto. The artist are, Daniel Solomon (Flatiron Building, 49 Wellington Street East), Gordon Rayner (44 York Street) and Rita Letendre (96 Gerrard Street E.) The Finalists were chosen from ten artists selected by Dennis Young, curator of contemporary art for the Art Gallery of Ontario" (Kay Kritzwiser, "The whole idea is to bring art to the people," The Globe & Mail).

Can't find a picture though...

Here are a couple interviews with Letendre. The Murals interview shows some archival shots of her work in Toronto (all of which has been destroyed apparently). Neat to see that her giant mural on the side of Neill-Wycik still exists, albeit permanently covered up (though there's something marvelous in knowing that there's hidden art waiting to be uncovered in the future - like some high-brow version of old advertising murals)

let026.jpg
let028.jpg

Last edited:
And last but not least...

sol060.jpg

Daniel Solomon's Flat Iron Mural, 1971.

(I don't miss this - wait, is it even complete in the photo?)

That brings back memories. I like how he incorporated the vertical structures that the building presented him with, whereas Letendre ignored hers. Besant's mural replaced Solomon's in September 1980.

The three are a nice snapshot of the local art scene of the time.

Here are a couple interviews with Letendre. The Murals interview shows some archival shots of her work in Toronto (all of which has been destroyed apparently). Neat to see that her giant mural on the side of Neill-Wycik still exists, albeit permanently covered up (though there's something marvelous in knowing that there's hidden art waiting to be uncovered in the future - like some high-brow version of old advertising murals)

Wow. I had no idea. Absolutely fascinating.

Back