News   May 16, 2024
 260     0 
News   May 16, 2024
 490     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 2.4K     0 

Going to San Francisco + Vancouver - Need Tips

Bring an umbrella and a warm jacket. Vancouver gets quite rainy in the winter and although temperatures are usually warmer than the rest of the Canada, the humidity and rain really makes it feel very cold.

Make sure you try a sashimi / sushi buffet while you're in Vancouver. They're everywhere, and cost $20 or less a person. I usually go to the ones in Richmond along the busway.

i thought that was scott mackenzie?

It was. Just one of the many things Zeppelin ripped off.

Actually Scott Mackenzie sang the song but John Phillips of the Mamas and Papas wrote it.

If you want something spicy in San Francisco try the Hustler club. Raunch at its best.

There was a bar called 333 Ritchie St., in SOMA that i went to in, uh, 2001. It was good. More a club. Some brit-pop night.

If you go to alcatraz, do the audio tour -- it's award winning, and not the usual touristy crap.

The Marina was interesting in the way Yonge and Eglinton is interesting.

I walked and walked. Then went out at night - knew a few places to go, then there, met people who told us about other places. Friendly city, it seemed (must be a hippy holdover). Walk around the Tenderloin...neat old buildings. Then to Market street, such a wonderful grand shopping avenue. SF feels like it should be in Europe, but it's better, cuz it's American. It's one of the few places in America where i felt that the idea of America is still alive.

West on Market, towards where it gets into the Castro, has some neat places. The Castro itself is a pretty generic shopping street...the gay revolution wears khaki's now.

Walk by the Grateful dead house in the Haight. Nice victorian, looks like Toronto (as does many parts of SF). Note, the house across the street is the Hells Angels house, where Hunter S. Thomson visited for his hells angels book.

We took the Bart to Berkeley. Walked around the People's Park (more hippy holdover). UCB is a pretty campus, but famous Telegraph ave. is standard american uni town coffee shops and use clothes.

Do go to the Amoeba Records in the Haight or on Telegraph. Such an awesome store.

We stayed at a motel on Van Ness, near the bay. At night i'd go for walks out one of piers, people made fires and stuff. I'd also go for runs through Pacific Heights and Nob Hill -- nice rich people. Nob Hill is neat because of its proximity to the tenderloin.

Drove up to Marin county. very pretty, kinda boring rich democrats though.

"Drove up to Marin county. very pretty, kinda boring rich democrats though."

But they have Frank Lloyd Wright's Marin County Civic Center...the Gattaca Complex.

Marin also has Muir Woods National Park.

www.nps.gov/muwo/

Soooo beautiful, epecially where the hills and trees meet the ocean. Highly recommended.

Right after you cross the golden gate, there is an area called the Marin Highlands or Headlands. It has the most fantastic view back to SF, looking OVER the golden gate. there are also old WWII shooty things.

--

I think just go out at night, and drift through whatever bar leads to whatever bar. The Americans are good.

But last call, 2am, is crazy in California. They really mean it. Lights on, it's over. None of the bar closed, but fun still goes on that happens here.

--

We went to a night called "Sixxteen" when there - a dirty rock and roll night of some kind, in an old country bar, towards SOMA, but close enough to the freeways that it was still kind of rough. It was good, then at one point the music stop, and the front doors flew open, and an entire transvestite marching band came in, and played in the bar for 1/2 an hour. they completely filled it up. pompom girl-boys in underwear and those shiney jackets. it is still in my top 5 nights-of-my-life ever, and marked the moment i fell in love with america.

Thanks for all the tips so far, I'll definitely keep them in mind when I'm walking around those cities.

A question: Since I'm so close to L.A. will it be worth renting a car to drive down? In terms of architecture, L.A. has one of my fav buildings: Gehry's Disney music concert hall. Is the weather in L.A. beach worthy in January?

I dunno, if you only have 5 days, I would do an extra day in Vancouver and extend your trip in SF... perhaps do a day trip to Berkeley. There's lots to see and do in LA but I much preferred SF... great city... don't rush it.

Back