366     0 
News   May 16, 2024
 620     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 2.6K     0 

Going to San Francisco + Vancouver - Need Tips

M

MetroMan1000

Hey guys, I'll be going on my first trip to San Francisco right after Christmas. I'm going to stop by in Vancouver for only a day (I managed to get a connecting flight that has 24 hours wait between).

SF: How to fully enjoy the city in 5 days?
Vancouver: The 24 hour Tourist Challenge. Tips?

If you're goin' to San Francisco,
Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair
If you're goin' to San Francisco,
You're gonna meet a lot of gentle people there
Oh everywhere,everywhere,everywhere,oh I know,I know,I know.....
Come on.....Push push push.....oh oh

dazed and confused - led zeppelin, film soundtrack 1976

I was looking for info more in the like of: San Francisco's airport is located ... and here's how to get downtown ... when you get there visit..

:b

By the way, my 24hr Vancouver Challenge must allow for one hour at the airport at arrival and a couple of hours at the airport before departure plus commuting both ways. So realistically, it's more like the 20hr Challenge. Oh.. and I won't sleep, I have plenty of time to sleep when I arrive in San Fran @ night.

The most extraordinary thing about Vancouver is the waterfront around downtown, so definitely work a walk. Try to catch some of Stanely Park, some of the West End and some of the newer bits around Yaletown - the differences in feel will amaze you.

Probably no one else will tell you to see the Waterfall Building on 3rd Avenue (Street?) on the way to Granville Island, so I will. It's a superb recent building.

If you can, eat at one of the restaurants that dot the water's edge in Coal Harbour or False Creek. They've built a few of these just offshore, you cross over on a pedestrian walkway. We have nothing like it.

If you're goin' to San Francisco,Be sure to wear some flowers in your hairIf you're goin' to San Francisco,You're gonna meet a lot of gentle people there

i thought that was scott mackenzie?

How's the weather in BC this time of the year? A bit nippy? How warm should I dress? This considering I'll be headed to SF in 24 hours (where it should be warmer).

I was in Vancouver for just over 48 hours - for one day, I'd recommend seeing the downtown, Stanley Park, maybe the DTES (east of Cambie, if you are into urban grit at all, next to both Chinatown and Gastown), and see some of the neighbourhoods, like Katslano, Broadway (Cambie to Arbutus is rather nice). I stayed at UBC, was quite cheap, and gave me the excuse to ride the trolley buses through some of the neighbourhoods. If you're a transit geek at all, do ride the Skytrain into Surrey across the Fraser, and get the front "railfan" seat.

On my trip, I also did the Lynn Canyon Bridge (the free one, a bit further out than the more famous Capilano [sp?] Bridge, and walked through Stanley Park, did the West Coast Express and saw many neighbourhoods, mostly by hopping on and off the trolley buses.

Vancouver's easy to get to from the airport - just buy a Translink daypass, which covers all fare zones. There's a bus that runs quite frequently through the airport that connects to the 98 B-Line up Granville to downtown.

Thanks SP :)

Now I have a question regarding ticket sales. Does anybody know if flights go on sale after Christmas? Are there any such thing as Boxing Week Seat Sales?

I noticed WestJet had a 50% off but the eligible travel window doesn't fit me.

Back