News   Jul 16, 2024
 636     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 575     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 716     2 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

"In a pilot project, GO Transit is offering carpool parking at four of our stations. If you use one of these stations, you can apply for a free carpool parking permit: Oakville, East Gwillimbury, Burlington and Whitby.

The prime parking spots will be available by permit-only at Burlington and East Gwillimbury on August 16, Oakville and Whitby on August 18."

http://www.gotransit.com/carpool

I'm sure this has been discussed previously, but what's the current opinion on putting more frequent service on the Richmond Hill line (CN Bala Sub) as another route into the city from central/north-east Toronto? DMUs, perhaps?

I'm thinking that the current push for the Yonge subway extension to RHC makes any expansion or frequency improvement to the RH GO line a non-starter. Why spend money upgrading the RH Go line when the subway extension can adequately serve many of its potential riders? That's probably the line of thought Metrolinx has regarding this matter, too.

I agree with liamdevlin02 - they should consider adding more trains to the Richmond Hill line. I thought that the Yonge extension was a no-go since the push by the city and TTC is for the DRL to be built first - and we all know that it won't be in our lifetime - so all the more need for more RH trains.

I rode one of the newest GO train cars yesterday (2763 I believe) and it has manual door activators installed on the inside. There was one on each side of the door.
The train's CSA still opened all doors at each station on this trip.

IMG-20110814-00221.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-20110814-00221.jpg
    IMG-20110814-00221.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 317
I rode one of the newest GO train cars yesterday (2763 I believe) and it has manual door activators installed on the inside. There was one on each side of the door.
The train's CSA still opened all doors at each station on this trip.

View attachment 7668

Those door opening buttons will only work when the CSA has put the doors into standby mode. And for the time being, they are disabled as there seem to be some circuitry/connection issues between those and the other cars in standby.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I agree with liamdevlin02 - they should consider adding more trains to the Richmond Hill line. I thought that the Yonge extension was a no-go since the push by the city and TTC is for the DRL to be built first - and we all know that it won't be in our lifetime - so all the more need for more RH trains.

This is sort of what I was referring to. Metrolinx is working on the crosstown LRT (another thread, I know), as well as the ARL which will serve stops between Union and Pearson. In the east, they could certainly run service between Old Cummer and Union, just to start. Riders from the Sheppard subway could get on at Oriole, relieving the southbound burden on the Yonge subway. This section is also the lowest usage by CN freight on the Bala sub, so there would be limited interference from or with that.

It's a shame that CN Leaside is gone, otherwise they could use CP North Toronto sub and stop at Summerhill.

I take the GO Bus to Richmond Hill from Union and when we stop at Langstaff, the majority of passengers on the bus disembark, many of whom walk the long walk to the Richmond Hill Transit Centre to board connecting YRT buses. Is there a reason why the bus does not also stop at the RHC in the new GO Bus bays to facilitate their transfer? It would add only a few minutes for the few remaining passengers left on the bus going up Yonge to the RH Go Train station and emphasize that the RHC is in fact a transit hub. Just a thought......

CAN someone post a map or picture of what a northern GO line would look like. I assume there would be stops at Dupont and at Summerhill... where else?

I'm sure this has been discussed previously, but what's the current opinion on putting more frequent service on the Richmond Hill line (CN Bala Sub) as another route into the city from central/north-east Toronto? DMUs, perhaps?
As part of the GO 2020 strategy, the corridor will be upgraded and extended to Aurora Road in Stoufville.
Phase I of the project, beginning in the fall and completed Fall 2013, will construction the Gormley GO Station where the line intersects Stouffville Road, create a train layover facility at Bethesda Road. Phase II, which will begin after completion of Phase I, will consist of the construction of Bloomington GO Station and grading of the route.

Once the new layover facility is constructed, there is the possibility of more service on the line, but DMU/EMU won't be seen on GO before 2020 or even 2030.

CAN someone post a map or picture of what a northern GO line would look like. I assume there would be stops at Dupont and at Summerhill... where else?

GO Crosstown rail line between Weston Road and the Don Valley
GO Crosstown rail line between the Don Valley and Agincourt

gotransit-2107-12.gif

thanks for the info. But i was under the impression that a GO line could be made through the middle of the city as well... Again using statons usch as summerhill.... s there a map for this layout as well?

Kind of pathetic...........look at that map from 30 years ago and except for the Sheppard Stubway the map is exactly the same as the one today.

thanks for the info. But i was under the impression that a GO line could be made through the middle of the city as well... Again using statons usch as summerhill.... s there a map for this layout as well?

It's in the Metrolinx Big Move as the Midtown GO line. Running from MCC (I think) out to the Seaton lands in North Pickering.

I can't find the map, but the Havelock line to Peterborough would run from Summerhill through Agincourt, east Markham, Claremont, etc. It would also presumably be extended west at some point as well.

I can't find the map, but the Havelock line to Peterborough would run from Summerhill through Agincourt, east Markham, Claremont, etc. It would also presumably be extended west at some point as well.
Most recent GO/Metrolinx references, seem to think it would run to Union though.

Back