News   Apr 30, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 2K     5 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 1.3K     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

This speaks loudly that expansion of RER in the area should happen. Regular people will take the trains if it is easy and convenient.

I wonder if this will inspire them to run express trains to Niagara in the summer rather than the current ones which stop everywhere.
Why would a highly-publicized one-off event be used to gauge the demand of a regular, well-known occurrence? Especially considering that they have lots of data for the latter, and none for the former?

Dan

Why would a highly-publicized one-off event be used to gauge the demand of a regular, well-known occurrence? Especially considering that they have lots of data for the latter, and none for the former?

Dan

I presume you have seen how crammed the trains are heading to Niagara in the summer?

The reality is that these trains too are packed long before they get to the outlying stations.

Dan
The goal of GO was to reduce congestion while getting people to where they need to go. Since GO already goes to Niagara, making it more regular would help reduce the congestion going to/from the area.

Screenshot_2024-04-08_183224.jpg

I only went to Hamilton (West Harbour), last train to make it there on time, then first train back (3:25pm, though it waited a couple of minutes to let more on). It was crowded, but didn't initially look quite as bad as the photos above, though it got worse as more boarded on each trip. On the way back toward Union Station, lots of people in Leafs and Blue Jays gear were also trying to board.

Edit: Looking at the photos in the second post below, I'm happy I left right away and didn't wait another hour for the next one. And it also sounds like it was better than driving from the stories I've heard.

Last edited:
The reality is, travel to Niagara Falls should be done by Via, not GO. Sadly though, it is GO that can be more flexible.
While VIA may be more comfortable for the 2.5hr ride, GO trains have more capacity and are cheaper. And it's great that you don't need to pre book tickets. I think the Niagara GO trains are quite well used.

The trips are subsidized by the day passes though, making the trip quite attractive.

Wasn't West Harbour built to handle crowds during the Pan-Am games?
Indeed.
Record day for West Harbour? Would have cut the travel time has the connecting track been in already.

View attachment 554769
Unsurprising, for anyone that's ever been to West Harbour you'd know that there's so much space beyond just the immediate platform, in contrast to most other GO stations.

Can anyone explain why the Milton train regularly has to stop at signals and let other trains pass? We actually got stopped at 2 signals today instead of the usual 1. Stop, let another train go, and then wait some more. Pretty frustrating being on a train that’s behind schedule and watching other trains pass…

Back