News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.7K     5 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 703     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.3K     1 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

In the longer term we also need to move to one-operator trains (1 operator + 1 CSA, vs 2+1 currently), to enable us to run far more trains with a given number of staff. That is not currently possible due to the large potential for human error in our current signal systems, but once ETCS is equipped on the core network, local trains which never leave ETCS territory should be able to have only a single operator, just like they do everywhere else that uses ETCS.

Last edited:
These people aren’t even heading to GO though, everyone in those photos is heading to the TTC subway
Sure but the GO system was definitely experiencing its own crowding problems as well. Apparently some platforms at Union were taking up 10+ minutes just to clear when unloading.

A lot of people are saying they should have had more trains running. Try to take into account the staffing issues Metrolinx must have been experiencing. I'm sure a lot of the station staff and Alstom crew members weren't keen to work these hours. Probably a lot of "book offs, sick calls", etc.
Not as many as you necessarily think, booking off means losing out on stat pay. Christmas is worse for that. All these extra trains are jobs that would have been advertised in advance in the hopes of getting them filled in by people wanting overtime on their off days. But in reality they usually end up getting mostly manned by the spareboard with some managers on deck as well.

I am told that GO was similar, ie trains filled beyond capacity.

Maybe less than perfect for this year, but hopefully data that will create an even greater scheduled throughput next year.

Definitely an indication that people are willing to leave their cars at home and take transit, so the glass is far from empty.

- Paul
To be fair though everything was a gong show last night not jsut transit. The Gardiner was nearly completely stalled heading into the city around New years
Screenshot_20240101_174752_Reddit.jpg

It took me forever to get from the Bay Concourse to the Bus Terminal due to the multiple bottlenecks at the Scotiabank Arena gates during the Raptors game. I had to ask security to remove the queue barrier so that I could get to my bus. Is this a common occurrence?

CF1DF778-7647-4125-A68D-EF10B31A120E.jpeg

To be fair though everything was a gong show last night not jsut transit. The Gardiner was nearly completely stalled heading into the city around New years

What a nice problem to have after a couple years of lockdowns and social distancing..... half of the GTA seems to have gone downtown for New Year's.
I wonder if the mild weather inflated things even further.
GO and TTC hauled a great many people last night, let's hope that they do even better going forward, so that next time more of those folks stuck in traffic consider riding instead.

- Paul

The problem with uneven distribution along the platform is real, especially when specific venues let out - eg Skydome patrons flooding in from York Street (wise Jays fans do learn to walk to the Bay end before finding stairs to their platform).
Last time I found that post-game mess at York, I got to the Bay end and found similar from a huge concert getting out of Skydome. And then made a dash over an empty platform to the Bay East teamway to get on a train!

Here's my annual commuter rail summary:
commrailsum2023.png

https://ontariotrafficman.wordpress.com/2024/01/02/canadian-commuter-rail-summary-2023/
Throughout 2023, many Canadian commuter rail lines saw modest increases in service, bringing many back to pre-pandemic service levels. One line is now far exceeding its pre-pandemic service.

Frequency​

In March, the Barrie and Stouffville lines lost all of their off-peak train service, in an effort to speed up construction on both lines. Off-peak service was gradually restored on both lines in August, with full service on the Barrie line resuming in September. However, the Stouffville line never regained its evening train service, presumably to facilitate construction on the Highland Creek bridge which has been delaying the activation of the second mainline track between Kennedy and Unionville stations.

The UP Express has now finally been restored to pre-pandemic service levels. In February, off-peak service was improved to every 15 minutes, and in January 2024, late-evening service is being restored.

Once again the GO Transit Kitchener line has been the biggest winner when it comes to service improvements. In March an additional weekday peak period express train was added between Kitchener and Toronto, but the big news was that weekend train service was finally introduced, with hourly service from Toronto Union station to Brampton Mount Pleasant station. This now makes the Kitchener line the 4th line in Canada with hourly or better service all day every day. The new weekend service was so popular that the connecting buses from Bramalea to Kitchener and Waterloo became massively overcrowded, commonly leaving dozens of people behind. GO started adding unscheduled buses to help manage some of the overcrowding but it wasn’t until September that a real solution was implemented. GO has now vastly increased the bus service from Bramalea to Waterloo, with three double-decker buses scheduled to meet each train during busy periods.

Another source of overcrowding has been the rise of bicycle courier commuting between Brampton and Toronto. Evening trains on the Kitchener Line were packed full of e-bikes due to people going home after working downtown for delivery services such as Uber Eats. In September GO added an additional evening departure, and in October they added bicycle coaches to some evening trips.

On the Lakeshore West line, off-peak weekday express train service to Niagara Falls was introduced in May with two additional round trips per day. Weekday train service to Niagara had previously only operated in peak periods in the peak direction.

In October, the GO train service from Kitchener to London was permanently cancelled, as I described in my previous post.

Many other lines gained one or two daily round trips during the peak periods in response to an increase in commuter demand, including the West Coast Express in BC.

Most lines are now roughly at the same frequency as they were prior to the pandemic. The only line with more service is the Kitchener line, which now has 32% more train service than in 2019, largely due to the introduction of weekend service. The most notable services which have yet to be restored are the 15-minute weekday midday train service on the Lakeshore lines between Oakville and Oshawa. Hopefully that service will be reintroduced in 2024, since the Milton Line has now lost its direct bus service to downtown, with buses being instead truncated at Lakeshore West stations.

Speed​

There has not been much good news in terms of average speed this year. Most lines gained a minute or two of travel time to account for higher passenger volumes and thus longer dwell times at station. This in itself is to be expected, but it is concerning to note that most lines are now slower than they were in 2019, even though peak period ridership is lower. In the case of the Lakeshore East line, this is largely attributable to the loss of express service due to Ontario Line subway construction, but the remainder of services are taking longer to serve the same stops.

In October, Old Elm station (formerly Lincolnville) was relocated a few hundred metres to the south, avoiding the need for trains to crawl through Lincolnville Yard to reach the platforms. This should cut a minute or two off the trip, yet the line is now a minute slower than it was last year, though it is still two minutes faster than pre-pandemic.

GO Transit has been promoting a 10-minute travel time improvement on the Milton Line starting in January, but this doesn’t represent an improvement compared to last year, it simply marks the resolution of a 10-minute delay that had been occuring for a few months due to track conditions. The “improved” Milton Line service is still 2 minutes slower than last year and 4 minutes slower than pre-pandemic.

Jan 1
I hope folks made it home after the new year event in TO as it was a nightmare for traffic that it was at a standstill in gridlock with GO Transit trains running up to 30 minutes late as well canceling service. I expect bus service was even worse from what I saw first hand with 4 DD stuck the the gridlock trying to get to the terminal

The Kitchener line was the hardest hit that the first train departed 10 minutes after after the 2nd one was to be putting it down 40 minutes with the 2nd one cancel. At least those who were to taken the 2nd train did not have to transfer to buses at Georgetown to get to Kitchener since it was train all the way. Even the miss stops by the 2nd train go service with the late train.

Lakeshore trains were running 15-30 minute late as well

My Milton train was 30 minutes late departing with the same equipment I came on and it was pack full compared to the few 100's that were on the 12 car train I came in on. Had 2 emergency on the train that put us down another 10 minute.

It was mayhem for pedestrians on the street with people running wild to get to/from the fireworks that people were been pushed all over the place by these impatience people. The smell of weed was in the air.

Trying getting on a subway train heading south was impossible from Eglinton south with riders like sardines on my train as well at the door. It was standard to hear the PA say no less than 10 times "Please stand clear of the Door" as well the driver saying it a number of time before we could move. No idea what the headway was for the Yonge Line was, but even if you added 2 more trains between the current 2, it would still would have issues moving riders. No idea what was taking place at Dundas, it was mayhem with over 2 dozen police offices on hand and more I seen anywhere else.

It was mayhem for pedestrians on the street with people running wild to get to/from the fireworks that people were been pushed all over the place by these impatience people. The smell of weed was in the air.
Must be that reefer madness they tried to warn us about!

Those crowd shots are eye watering. While Metrolinx should take some of the blame for not running more service, let's be real - if you're traveling on NYE, it's kinda on you 🤣

Those shots in the bay concourse are likely the people trying to get onto the subway. If anything, this is the TTC's fault for thinking that demand is not back to normal after the pandemic.

This level crowding is very much beyond the realm of "normal". I don't think any level of additional subway service could have prevented a catastrophe like this.

Last time I found that post-game mess at York, I got to the Bay end and found similar from a huge concert getting out of Skydome. And then made a dash over an empty platform to the Bay East teamway to get on a train!

I would not answer the temptation to cross a track in the depot, partly because it is quite unsafe, but also because there are enough security people at platform level that you might actually get stopped and ticketed.
But.... what I have developed a habit of doing when arriving at peak times, is crossing through any parked train on the other side of my arriving train's platform that has doors on both sides open, to avoid queuing up to get down the stairwells. Only a slight risk of having the doors slam shut, taking me to someplace I didn't plan on visiting (quite possibly Willowbrook lol) and usually the next platform over is not crowded and I get down the stairs much faster.

- Paul

They were running trains every 15 minutes on Lakeshore West after midnight. Assuming they were all 12-car sets (I really hope they were), that's a crush load capacity of over 12,000 people per hour on LSW alone.

Here are the capacities of the services they ran last night during the peak hour (00:30-01:30)
4 tph (12,000 pph) Lakeshore West
1 tph (3,000 pph) Milton
2 tph (6,000 pph) Lakeshore East
2 tph (6,000 pph) Kitchener
1 tph (3,000 pph) Barrie
1 tph (3,000 pph) Richmond Hill
1 tph (3,000 pph) Stouffville

In total that's a capacity of 36,000 people per hour between 00:30 and 01:30.

Part of the issue may have been crowd distribution. In previous years crowds have been very unevenly distributed throughout the station and throughout the trains, resulting in severe overcrowding in some areas and some coaches, while other areas and coaches had spare capacity. Given how crowded the trains are, maybe they should add some express services. With such crowding it takes forever at each stop for people to get off the train to make room for people to exit, then get back on again.

I'd say that 36,000 pph is insufficient even without seeing the photos of the crowd. Probably double that and you might get close to moving everyone through the station. I get it, there's staffing issues, but we were downtown last year for NYE and it was a crush load crowd then too.

Imagine a hypothetical weekend day where there is an event at Rogers Centre, and SBA, that's nearly 100,000 people along counting fans & event staff. Add in other venues such as Sony Centre etc, and that people have begun to return to the entertainment (club) district, and other hangers on just because. Now we are probably looking at 200,000 to 300,000 people. Not to mention BMO field, bud stage, Coca Cola Colosseum.

For NYE I wouldn't be surprised if there were close to 750,000 people DT.

I'd say that 36,000 pph is insufficient even without seeing the photos of the crowd. Probably double that and you might get close to moving everyone through the station. I get it, there's staffing issues, but we were downtown last year for NYE and it was a crush load crowd then too.

Imagine a hypothetical weekend day where there is an event at Rogers Centre, and SBA, that's nearly 100,000 people along counting fans & event staff. Add in other venues such as Sony Centre etc, and that people have begun to return to the entertainment (club) district, and other hangers on just because. Now we are probably looking at 200,000 to 300,000 people. Not to mention BMO field, bud stage, Coca Cola Colosseum.

For NYE I wouldn't be surprised if there were close to 750,000 people DT.

I wonder if we will hear any hard passenger counts or official estimates about this NYE - it would be interesting to know how this evening compared to other major downtown events eg the Raptors victory parade comes to mind.

Even then, NYE is extreme in that there is a fairly "hard stop" after the event, where everyone tries to get home in a fairly short time. The Raptors parade was in daylight in good weather. So a more gradual pace was manageable.

There may be unique individual events that draw crowds which the transit network can't handle, and we can't build our transit system for one-of peaks. But it would be very enlightening to know how close this event came to being a new record.

And, given where MLSE teams are at, no need to plan for another victory parade in Toronto anytime soon.

- Paul

Back