News   May 13, 2024
 112     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 585     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 937     1 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Perhaps. Maybe in the future as the system expands and they grow ridership (and the buses get larger). They do actually connect with several Barrie Transit routes that pass through both Georgian College and RVH. The initial demand was for people to be able to go to school and connect with the regional health centre.

There’s pretty decent Barrie Transit service between Downtown/Allandale and Georgian/RVH. Direct, limited stop routes too. The only thing needed is service/fare integration

There’s pretty decent Barrie Transit service between Downtown/Allandale and Georgian/RVH. Direct, limited stop routes too. The only thing needed is service/fare integration
I remember Barrie Transit "accepted" presto, by letting you get on for free if you said you were going to the go station.

2023-09-20 09_13_53-Window.jpg

They should rollout Presto right across Ontario for all government transit agencies that are provincial or municipal.
We're probably way off the thread topic but, whatever.

I don't know much about Presto but I get the sense that a lot of transit agencies wouldn't be lining up for it, at least in its initial stages. Like many other government database systems that have been developed in-house (I was involved in one of them), even if it is a dog, the government will use it to justify the development costs.

Some transit agencies have fairly basic service and operating infrastructure, and I imagine would need some convincing to buy into Presto as an alternative to tossing a Twonie at Bob the driver or some kind of local pass. What is the benefit to them? Even if they more high-tech, what does it offer over a debit/credit card reader on the bus? I imagine buying into Presto has costs in relation to both front-end and back-end hardware and software as well as some type of per-transaction cost.

It might have some benefits if the transit service is integrated with GO or another local service, but there would need to be actually integration, not just 'the GO bus stops in town once a day' type of thing to be of any benefit. Even at that, I imagine municipalities such as Kingston and Brockville might see more benefit in integrating with whatever system VIA uses.

ONTC doesn't use on their buses or the PBE. For non-commuter types of service that serve remote communities and flag stops that might have little to no connectivity, I doubt it would work. I doubt they will adopt it for the Northlander. Again, other that, what, two proposed station stops in the GTA, what's the benefit?

We're probably way off the thread topic but, whatever.

I don't know much about Presto but I get the sense that a lot of transit agencies wouldn't be lining up for it, at least in its initial stages. Like many other government database systems that have been developed in-house (I was involved in one of them), even if it is a dog, the government will use it to justify the development costs.

Some transit agencies have fairly basic service and operating infrastructure, and I imagine would need some convincing to buy into Presto as an alternative to tossing a Twonie at Bob the driver or some kind of local pass. What is the benefit to them? Even if they more high-tech, what does it offer over a debit/credit card reader on the bus? I imagine buying into Presto has costs in relation to both front-end and back-end hardware and software as well as some type of per-transaction cost.

It might have some benefits if the transit service is integrated with GO or another local service, but there would need to be actually integration, not just 'the GO bus stops in town once a day' type of thing to be of any benefit. Even at that, I imagine municipalities such as Kingston and Brockville might see more benefit in integrating with whatever system VIA uses.

ONTC doesn't use on their buses or the PBE. For non-commuter types of service that serve remote communities and flag stops that might have little to no connectivity, I doubt it would work. I doubt they will adopt it for the Northlander. Again, other that, what, two proposed station stops in the GTA, what's the benefit?
Also keep in mind the subsidy per passenger is actually far greater than the TTC so having to pony up another 10% to presto seems pointless. Are the new readers LTE based? The old ones used a wifi sync in the garage which is why the TTC initial rollout was so piss poor and you'd see at least 1 out of service reader on each bus

Are the new readers LTE based? The old ones used a wifi sync in the garage which is why the TTC initial rollout was so piss poor and you'd see at least 1 out of service reader on each bus
Both the Famaco new and the S&B (old) TTC bus/streetcar readers have cellular connectivity. It wasn't enabled initially because of cost reasons (the cost per GB of cellular data has halved in 10 years). The S&B readers also had the hardware to support open payments but never got the software to (the same readers were trialled by WMATA).

Only the Thales readers used on GO/UP/905 were wi-fi only. The TTC only briefly used the Thales readers in revenue service on streetcars.

This is the spec sheet for the new readers: https://www.famoco.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/05/FX925_Product_Sheet_2023_EN-.pdf

Both the Famaco new and the S&B (old) TTC bus/streetcar readers have cellular connectivity. It wasn't enabled initially because of cost reasons (the cost per GB of cellular data has halved in 10 years). The S&B readers also had the hardware to support open payments but never got the software to (the same readers were trialled by WMATA).

Only the Thales readers used on GO/UP/905 were wi-fi only. The TTC only briefly used the Thales readers in revenue service on streetcars.

This is the spec sheet for the new readers: https://www.famoco.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/05/FX925_Product_Sheet_2023_EN-.pdf
Any pictures of the wifi only readers?

I wonder why the old ones were replaced if they'd work in theory

This is the view out onto the Stouffville line from just above the former Ellesmere station.

Does anyone know what the plan is here? Is the right hand side track in the bottom of the photo going to be split in two and connected with the dead end right hand side track in the top of the photo,
1695231226775.png

This is the view out onto the Stouffville line from just above the former Ellesmere station.

Does anyone know what the plan is here? Is the right hand side track in the bottom of the photo going to be split in two and connected with the dead end right hand side track in the top of the photo, View attachment 507929
I've responded to this in the GO Transit Construction Projects thread.

Last edited:

Back