News   May 16, 2024
 137     0 
News   May 16, 2024
 467     0 
News   May 16, 2024
 759     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Is there not extra track work that needs to be done, which is why the Stouffville service hasn't gone to Mt joy yet? Ridiculous, but this is metrolinx.

There is enough track already for hourly service to Mount Joy. Incredible, but each train stops at Unionville and lays over for close to an hour. They could easily continue to Mount Joy, change ends there, and come back south on their time within the existing schedule.

- Paul

Dear Anne Marie Aikins (aka @femwriter),

We the people, in order to create a more perfect transit system for the GTHA, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility (by precluding marriage breakdown due to late spouses), provide for the common man, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Mobility to ourselves and our Posterity do ordain and beseech Metrolinx, Rob Pritchard, Minister Del Duca, Mrs. Wynne, Father, Son and Holy Ghost, PANPAN & YUEYUE (the Panda cubs at the Toronto Zoo) to extend come Thanksgiving 2017 the Stouffville all-day service to Mount Joy.

Bart and the other 28,355 members, posters and concerned citizens / netizens of urbantoronto.ca

Last edited:
So my question is: Why has this seemingly easy adjustment not yet been made? And why was it not instituted that way from the start?

Like I wrote above, I suspect that this is an interim schedule until such a point that the trackwork is in place to allow for a more permanent schedule. The same reason why the Barrie line is running a 75minute headway on weekends.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

It sounds even easier than the missing 100 meter (give or take a few hundred meters) at West Harbour, which is held up chiefly by CN and manpower issues.

This sounds quite sensible -- extension of all day service to Mount Joy seems to be a no-brainer given such a low-lying apple for Markham & Election 2018.

I suggest sending this suggestion to Metrolinx, tweeting to @GOTransit/@Metrolinx and/or emailing Anne-Marie Aikens. Get yourself heard.

They have already actioned on some of my suggestions (possibly as part of a herd of suggestions by general public, but I think occasionally only because of me).
-- Mainly a few low-cost things (like signage mistakes) within weeks of my reporting.
-- Even a few semi-costly things within months of my reporting -- they installed a 2nd electronic schedule sign at the Bay West Teamway entrance from my suggestion (I can't be the only one complaining) because often 1 sign is the timetable and the 2nd sign is service announcements (e.g. Platforms being closed). When there used to be only one sign, the schedule was always annoyingly replaced by "platform closed or schedule changes" big-text messages. (And the 2-sign standard is what they now use anyway in York concorse, so this is compatible with their future).

Certainly, they don't seem to easily action on very expensive or politically tricky things, at least not very quickly, as it needs to get through a political phase, but those free-apples and low-cost low-lying apples do seem to get heard if enough people let them know. They may already know, but may need a nudge or two from three or four Joe Q. Public members to accelerate a low-lying apple down the chain, at least to internally run some cost analyses on. Don't have little hope when sending suggestions to Metrolinx/GO, they do flag suggestions down in a tracking system for future consideration at least.

Apart from now-sensitive logistics like modifying GO bus routes, insurance/union/labor concerns (e.g. Lunch break minimum requirements, better layover facilities at Unionville for train drivers, etc?), GO wicket booth staffing concerns, the only other reason I can fathom is that they are having some kind of a future service modification that doesn't permit long layovers at Unionville, and they don't want to "cost themselves into a corner"? Like the opposite direction needing to be time-shifted to shorten layovers. I wonder... But they still plan hourly service north of Unionville, and this is an easy incremental similar to Mt. Pleasant.

Last edited:
There is enough track already for hourly service to Mount Joy. Incredible, but each train stops at Unionville and lays over for close to an hour. They could easily continue to Mount Joy, change ends there, and come back south on their time within the existing schedule.

- Paul
Embarrasing.

Hamilton, Mt Pleasant, Mt Joy and Aurora/Barrie should have all had fully service by now. They're waiting for the election.

Mount Joy is the right place to turn back midday service on the Stouffville Corridor, just as Mount Pleasant is on the Kitchener Corridor. Both turn-backs avoid mid-suburban congestion, several turns at busy intersections, and minimize transfers. Beyond both those stops is more exurban leaf-frog communities like Georgetown and Stouffville. Both stations are on the main route to those communities beyond as well.

The mid-2000s Bramalea turn-back forced long bus rides for many passengers from central, west and, northwest Brampton, and a longer travel time than a direct bus to Union Station, just as the Unionville turn-back does now.
I actually thought for some time miday service on the brampton line should go to Guelph, but I think ridership would drop after Mt Pleasant.

I actually thought for some time miday service on the brampton line should go to Guelph, but I think ridership would drop after Mt Pleasant.

Guelph would probably be better served by an express bus from Bramalea via Highways 407/401 (there was such a route, but had low ridership), as long as the local Highway 7 between Brampton and Guelph route remains for Acton, Rockwood, etc. On an express run like that, stopping only at Aberfoyle and the University, the bus would be competitive with the train, especially outside of peak hours.

In fact they almost have such a bus. The 48F started running on Friday and Sunday hitting the University, Aberfoyle, Bramalea and York University.

The current route is 1 hour from UoG to Bramalea. Adding a 15 minute wait and 38 mins on the train from Bramalea to Union is a total 1:52 trip. The currently scheduled train from Guelph to Union is 1:39, so it's not a huge increase in travel time.

Considering much, if not most off peak travel seems to be students, this bus would likely be more heavily used than the train. This bus would also have the added benefit of serving not only Guelph students, but York U as well.

"Minister of Transportation to make Announcement on Road Safety" - seems unlikely to be GO related.

Should of caught that in my own post; but the release itself doesn't say that; its only in the link, which I didn't glance at. :p

What happened to GO’s MP54 locomotives? Not a peep in a year.

We are coming up to the eighth anniversary of the Liberals' formal direction to ML to use Tier 4 locomotives on the Georgetown line. So far, the demo model that was delivered to GO has done a masterful job of keeping the rails at Willowbrook from floating away.

The order required ML to use Tier 4 locomotives on the Georgetown
when Tier 4 compliant technology becomes commercially available.

The majority of North American railroads now have production-run Tier 4 locomotives in service, although these are freight flavoured locomotives. The most recent info I got from a GO staffer is that they had pretty much parked any hope of seeing a working version of the passenger model any time soon. One has to wonder whether Motive Power Industries is not as equally in default of its contract as Bombardier is alleged to be with the Flexities.

Since this promise was codified in a Ministerial order imposed as a condition of an EA approval, it may actually be legally enforceable, if anyone cares to incur the court costs. Certainly, it's more substantive than a Del Duca podium blather. At the very least, it's a very ripe opportunity for Mr Brown's party to raise a pre-election stink.

PS: But hey, hydrogen cell locomotives are just around the corner.

- Paul

Last edited:
I had no idea I had walked into such a hornet's nest. I simply didn't understand why something for which there was an order had not appeared. Like Flexity Outlooks. :)

Back