News   Jul 15, 2024
 710     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 875     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 625     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/toronto/del-duca-transit-tory-1.3645256

4 new GO stations proposed at Spadina/Front, Liberty Village, Bloor/Lansdowne, St. Clair West/Keele. I presume this is the revised version of SmartTrack?

No station at Cherry or Unilever though, which seems weird.

First, some clarification via Del Duca's spokesperson: Liberty Village and St. Clair West/Keele will be stops on the Kitchener Line, and Spadina/Front and Bloor/Lansdowne will be stops on the Barrie Line.

So the former two could be considered "SmartTrack", but c'mon guys, are we still pretending it's an actual thing? It's all GO RER.

I believe new stations to the east of Union may be announced tomorrow in another photo-op, IIRC from tweets I saw.

So the former two could be considered "SmartTrack", but c'mon guys, are we still pretending it's an actual thing? It's all GO RER.

Tory is going to cling to the SmartTrack name until after the next election. Then they'll make an announcement that it's being "folded into" RER.

First, some clarification via Del Duca's spokesperson: Liberty Village and St. Clair West/Keele will be stops on the Kitchener Line, and Spadina/Front and Bloor/Lansdowne will be stops on the Barrie Line.

I believe new stations to the east of Union may be announced tomorrow in another photo-op, IIRC from tweets I saw.

Spadina/Front serves all the lines coming from the west, doesn't it?

haha you'd swear that no news around here is news. Just because they didn't mention those stations today doesn't mean that they are gone from planning.

A lack of facts doesn't make the opposite factually true.

Smarttrack hasn't been a tangible thing for over a year now.

Its simply a mandate upon GO-RER, for more localized and frequent service within the downtown core, with TTC fare harmonization.

Spadina/Front serves all the lines coming from the west, doesn't it?

The corridor passes Spadina near Front, but how would you make it work for multiple lines? Space for a platform is already going to be pretty tight, you might get one or two max. And to get all lines to serve it would bung up the whole USRC.

Just like Bloor GO, Kitchener and Milton Lines pass it but only the former serves it.

Because they need to have a different event for every area of the city to get more photo ops.

If you look at Metrolinx report on the new stations, highway 7 is not included. How can they keep York U station but not build this station which would connect with the viva brt and also future 407 transit way.

Unilever is a go.

Check out the actual board meeting agenda:
http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pd.../20160628_BoardMtg_Appendix_2_Stations_EN.pdf

Park Lawn RIP :(

Why is Highway 7 on the Barrie line not included?

Both of those stations: the following quote is from the presentation.

The following stations are not being included in the GO RER 10 year program at this time. However, this does not mean that the stations will not be considered for inclusion in the GO rail network in the future.

So they're not gone, just not slated for 2024.

Also, there has been discussion here and on other threads about utilizing a re-activated Leaside spur for the Richmond Hill line. Some proof it's being considered as of late, from the presentation:

z2RmWWI.png

On the surface, spending 750 million on 20 kilometers, serving only a few thousand tops, with no future provisions to electrify towards Kingston would seem to be a birdbrain move.
There has to be some sort of rationale behind a double track flyover beyond the present projection. Four trains each way a day could just as easily be done with a single track bridge.

There's at least one massive factor in the equation missing.

Last edited:
Why is Highway 7 on the Barrie line not included?

Because they need to have a different event for every area of the city to get more photo ops.

If you look at Metrolinx report on the new stations, highway 7 is not included. How can they keep York U station but not build this station which would connect with the viva brt and also future 407 transit way.

Since today's event was about new stations in Toronto (specifically the west side of Toronto) it should not be a surprise that it did not include any mention of new stations that would (if built) not be in Toronto.

Back