News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 398     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

The GO Train broke down near or at the depot in Kitchener. The VIA train could have gone around it via the siding track, but a) the siding was out of service in spots, and b) you can’t access the platform from the siding, so 87 couldn’t make its station stop. The VIA train did clear the mainline, which allowed a following GO train to push the stalled train out of the way. That eventually let the VIA back out on the mainline and head west to the depot, after a delay of some hours.
Oh, and due to the lack of sidings up the line, VIA 88 had to hold at Stratford until 87 got there, before it in turn could come east.

There will always be situations where a line is blocked and everything comes to a halt, but the lack of sidings and platform capacity at Kitchener certainly made this one worse. Airports and highways get shut down, too. All the same - Just wait until this or something like it happens on a sungle track HFR line, and people sit for four hours in Kaladar and Arden.

- Paul

That was a good read. The wordpress link didn't work for me though, so here's a direct link to the blog entry: https://dudewheresmybusmap.wordpress.com/2019/01/13/the-niagara-go-train-is-a-bad-idea-heres-why/

I agree with the post if it stays at 1 train a day. But the plan is almost certainly to gradually increase service, and possibly introduce express/semi-express trains to Niagara. If so, it might eventually be marketed to tourists (from outside the GTA), just like how the seasonal weekend trains were marketed to Torontonians as a day trip option.

That was a good read. The wordpress link didn't work for me though, so here's a direct link to the blog entry: https://dudewheresmybusmap.wordpress.com/2019/01/13/the-niagara-go-train-is-a-bad-idea-heres-why/
Those that link Tweets fail to realize that it's all gobbledygook to many of us. Just dumping a Tweet in a forum means nothing unless linked and referenced to a source attainable by most.

Twitter is Birdbrain speaking.

Many thanks for the link, I'd tried to squeeze the original posted Tweet for any kind of info, but if the info is there, it's hidden. Twitter is often Pidgin English for pigeons. Every time I have to track down strings, I thank the Lord I don't belong to the Twitterati.

Those that link Tweets fail to realize that it's all gobbledygook to many of us. Just dumping a Tweet in a forum means nothing unless linked and referenced to a source attainable by most.

Twitter is Birdbrain speaking.

Many thanks for the link, I'd tried to squeeze the original posted Tweet for any kind of info, but if the info is there, it's hidden. Twitter is often Pidgin English for pigeons. Every time I have to track down strings, I thank the Lord I don't belong to the Twitterati.

It's 2019. One tweet can move markets. And they say it can eventually start a war...

It's 2019. One tweet can move markets. And they say it can eventually start a war...
Then why is Tweeting in decline?
Twitter stock plunges 20% in wake of 1m user decline | Technology
I'm reminded of a line from Aqualung: "If Jesus saves, then he'd better save himself..."
I agree with the post if it stays at 1 train a day. But the plan is almost certainly to gradually increase service, and possibly introduce express/semi-express trains to Niagara.
Errr...with what budget? And on whose tracks? My God, some are so easily satiated...

Then why is Tweeting in decline?
Twitter stock plunges 20% in wake of 1m user decline | Technology
I'm reminded of a line from Aqualung: "If Jesus saves, then he'd better save himself..."
Errr...with what budget? And on whose tracks? My God, some are so easily satiated...

Well 20% of Twitter's worth is from literally one user (guess who?)

Anyway...

I certainly hope GO service to Niagara will be marketed to tourists. Yes there are other options, but with GO, you just hop on and go. No buying a ticket in advance. I think it would be a great boost to Niagara tourism.

I certainly hope GO service to Niagara will be marketed to tourists. Yes there are other options, but with GO, you just hop on and go. No buying a ticket in advance. I think it would be a great boost to Niagara tourism.
Are you being serious, or facetious?
The province says the morning train that currently starts from Hamilton's West Harbour station at 6:39 a.m. will now start in Niagara Falls at 5:19 a.m., with a stop in St. Catharines before making stops into Toronto.

Then in the evening, the existing train trip from Union Station at 5:15 p.m. to West Harbour will continue on to St. Catharines and Niagara Falls.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/go-train-niagara-1.4946321
Tourists?

Tourists?
Why not? There's a bus meeting a train every hour ... not sure why you are highlighting two commuting runs - presumably tourists would be using those but some of the other 35 runs.

1547591646591.png

Back