News   Jul 16, 2024
 190     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 325     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.1K     3 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

I dont understand why the York U station wasn't built further north so one end of the platform was abutting Steeles, with an entry off Steeles.

That way it could have also served the Steeles bus as well and picked up some extra ridership.

I mean, if you already need to have a shuttle to it from York, moving it 500m north should be inconsequential.

I dont understand why the York U station wasn't built further north so one end of the platform was abutting Steeles, with an entry off Steeles.

That way it could have also served the Steeles bus as well and picked up some extra ridership.

I mean, if you already need to have a shuttle to it from York, moving it 500m north should be inconsequential.

The main reason why is that the track layout didn't allow for it until the last couple of years - when the station was built, it was on a siding that ended just short of Steeles.

Another thing to consider is that the distance along the ROW from the entrance on Canarctic to Steeles is over 500 meters - and so you would have needed a long walkway from either Canartic (or more likely) Steeles along the ROW. And well, we know how GO feels about walkways...

I agree though, it seems like something that they should have done years ago. But seeing as how the station was always seen as temporary measure, they likely never felt the need to do anything about it.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Another thing to consider is that the distance along the ROW from the entrance on Canarctic to Steeles is over 500 meters - and so you would have needed a long walkway from either Canartic (or more likely) Steeles along the ROW. And well, we know how GO feels about walkways...
Toronto, Ont.

I'm implying that they should have abandoned Canartic altogether and have picked people up on Steeles with the York shuttle.

But I didn't know about the siding, that makes sense then.

Power outage on all lines thanks to the cn control centre being down. They cant use the signals or radio control.

Indeed from CBC Toronto:

GO Transit says all of its trains are holding at Union Station due to an earlier power outage at the CN Rail traffic control centre in Toronto.

Anne Marie Aikins, spokesperson for Metrolinx, said the outage is causing signal problems but the problems should be resolved soon.

"They have restored the power but it's like a massive computer system now has to reboot to bring signals back online," she said Friday.

The control centre manages signals for the Lakeshore West line, including UP Express, which links Union Station to Toronto's Pearson International Airport.

Via GO Tracker:
2kUzGuk

wow im shocked that for such a vital transportation infrastructure in canada's largest city to have no backup power. this really brings me to seriously question the ability of the network to safely expand in the future. It reminds me of last year where a simple fire froze all of downtown's subways and streetcars.

they need to have backup generators/power stations in place for these rail lines since it would be impossible to shuttle that many passengers on busses

wow im shocked that for such a vital transportation infrastructure in canada's largest city to have no backup power really brings
me to seriously question the ability of the network to safely expand in the future. It reminds me of last year where a simple fire froze all of downtown's subways and streetcars.

they need to have backup generators/power stations in place for these rail lines since it would be impossible to shuttle that many passengers on busses

Remember this is a CN facility. This stuff will all be shifted to the GTCC in Oakville when complete, no? I'd imagine they thought of that.

wow im shocked that for such a vital transportation infrastructure in canada's largest city to have no backup power. this really brings me to seriously question the ability of the network to safely expand in the future. It reminds me of last year where a simple fire froze all of downtown's subways and streetcars.

This has nothing to do with backup power.

The RTCII system - the software and hardware that CN uses to dispatch and monitor their rail network - failed outright. CN is not sure why. They couldn't even get the control shifted to any of their other locations, which the system is supposed to do automatically. They have backup generators which would have worked fine had the power gone out.

This is literally a once-in-a-billion situation.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

This has nothing to do with backup power.

The RTCII system - the software and hardware that CN uses to dispatch and monitor their rail network - failed outright. CN is not sure why. They couldn't even get the control shifted to any of their other locations, which the system is supposed to do automatically. They have backup generators which would have worked fine had the power gone out.

This is literally a once-in-a-billion situation.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
Really, not even to another location? That should not be that hard. This looks so bad CN and metrolinx.

It's definitely a "should not have happened" scenario, but just as serious an impact for CN operations as for GO. Nothing like discovering that your spare tire is flat too.

- Paul

Hopefully they all get together and sort out what happened exactly and put in place something more to prevent it in the future.

It's definitely a "should not have happened" scenario, but just as serious an impact for CN operations as for GO. Nothing like discovering that your spare tire is flat too.

Do you happen to know what the impact was for CN? Would this have halted their freight trains system wide or do they have different regional control centres making this a GTA or Ontario or East Coast issue?

Back