News   Jul 16, 2024
 448     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 552     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.4K     3 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

I'm sure they spent very little time on that rebrand and spent very little money on it too... hahahahaha.

Probably paid an agency $100,000 over 6 months to tell them to remove the circle.
I was, of course, kidding....but the optics of this stuff does get to some people.....at some point people think the real job of ML is to actually provide transit to all....not be the very best at webbing and communicating about one day providing transit to all......there is/was nothing wrong with their old logo/web presence......so people will (rightly in my opinion) question why any time or money was spent improving it.

There appears to be a large boom of GO improvements coming online in 2017.

Politically timed, me thinks -- but finally.
what exactly is in store do you think? All I can remember is possibly some sort of all day service to Aurora on the Barrie line towards the end of the year.

Here is an interesting tidbit from the Feds economic update.....strange that the Feds are looking (or being asked) to fund part of RER....didn't the province tell us it was fully funded in their last budget(s)?

Capture fed infrastructure.JPG

Attachments

• Capture fed infrastructure.JPG
    Capture fed infrastructure.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 418
Here is an interesting tidbit from the Feds economic update.....strange that the Feds are looking (or being asked) to fund part of RER....didn't the province tell us it was fully funded in their last budget(s)?

That's such a vague reference it could be anything as part of the grand plan. Maybe it could be the bypass for Brampton, or the extensions to Niagara and Bowmanville. I wouldn't be surprised if the feds and province wants to keep the reference purposely vague. I'm not condoning it, just wouldn't be surprised.

Last edited:
That's such a vague reference it could be anything as part of the great plan. Maybe it could be the bypass for Brampton, or the extensions to Niagara and Bowmanville. I wouldn't be surprised if the feds and province wants to keep the reference purposely vague. I'm not condoning it, just wouldn't be surprised.
could be the bypass as it would facilitate RER on Milton line....but has anyone ever talked about the extensions to NF and Bowmanville being RER?

could be the bypass as it would facilitate RER on Milton line....but has anyone ever talked about the extensions to NF and Bowmanville being RER?

I had to fix my earlier post. I meant to write "grand" instead of "great". Indeed, the bypass for Kitchener or Kitchener and Milton. Hard to say at this point. Very true, I haven't heard from Metrolinx or the Province that NF and Bowmanville are part of RER. I guess I'm just lamenting how difficult I feel it is to track how the money flows from federal funding sources to provincial projects, etc. The "could include" part gives them a lot of leeway. I guess only time will tell.

This document seems to treat it as "GO Extension" rather than RER - but I suspect that the feds' reference to RER is just a placeholder. Ontario will no doubt ask for all sorts of things in the Phase II proposal call.

- Paul

• A station on the north side of the rail corridor at Spadina and Front. Barrie trains would terminate at this new location releasing capacity at Union for additional service on other corridors. The report is silent on how this station might affect alignment choices for a relief subway line that could act as a downtown distributor for the new GO terminal.
http://torontoist.com/2016/11/smarttracks-plans-unravel/

I read this tidbit about the province asking $60 million from the city for this station and another one at Bloor and Landsdowne for the Barrie line. What is the sense in dumping all these passengers at this station at Front and Spadina. Where do they go from here? Unless this station is constructed in conjuction with the downtown relief and the downtown relief line has a stop here at this location connecting with it, this makes no sense.

• A station on the north side of the rail corridor at Spadina and Front. Barrie trains would terminate at this new location releasing capacity at Union for additional service on other corridors. The report is silent on how this station might affect alignment choices for a relief subway line that could act as a downtown distributor for the new GO terminal.

I read this tidbit about the province asking $60 million from the city for this station and another one at Bloor and Landsdowne for the Barrie line. What is the sense in dumping all these passengers at this station at Front and Spadina. Where do they go from here? Unless this station is constructed in conjuction with the downtown relief and the downtown relief line has a stop here at this location connecting with it, this makes no sense.

You are entirely on point.

No DRL, this station is a near-useless, perhaps even negative impact notion.

With a DRL, (that intersects this station) quite viable.

This document seems to treat it as "GO Extension" rather than RER - but I suspect that the feds' reference to RER is just a placeholder. Ontario will no doubt ask for all sorts of things in the Phase II proposal call.

- Paul
I guess the point I am trying to make is that all the political mis-information is not helpful....we have a provincial government constantly talking about its record spending on transit infrastructure and how it is all funded in their budget....then we get a new federal government coming out with massive infrastructure money for (amongst other things) transit...giving the feeling/idea that even more than what the provincial government talks about is possible...then the feds end up just contributing to the already planned/announced/funded provincial projects and we end up with just the same transit we already had been promised.

There is a lot of information about this station in the City report -- the rationale seems to boil down to "this area has a lot of development, so it needs an RER station". The prospect of the DRL isn't even mentioned. although the Waterfront Reset LRT is.

The Barrie RER line will have a certain utility as a "relief line" in that it will connect to Line 2 at the new Davenport station, and the Crosstown at Caledonia, and maybe eventually to the Finch LRT. So for some with origin.destinations in the Spadina-Front area, it might be useful as an alternative to riding the Line 1 subway to Union. But that feels like a kludge to me, and it doesn't impact the DRL at all.

- Paul

There is a lot of information about this station in the City report -- the rationale seems to boil down to "this area has a lot of development, so it needs an RER station". The prospect of the DRL isn't even mentioned. although the Waterfront Reset LRT is.

The Barrie RER line will have a certain utility as a "relief line" in that it will connect to Line 2 at the new Davenport station, and the Crosstown at Caledonia, and maybe eventually to the Finch LRT. So for some with origin.destinations in the Spadina-Front area, it might be useful as an alternative to riding the Line 1 subway to Union. But that feels like a kludge to me, and it doesn't impact the DRL at all.

- Paul
but for people coming from traditional GO areas and not headed for Spadina/Front (ie. headed for the financial core) will get off the GO train at Downsview Park and add crowds to the subway? Ending any GO lines outside of Union makes no sense.

Back