News   Jul 16, 2024
 274     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 389     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.2K     3 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

The bus I referred to from K-W was the 25A. It appears on the map still here: (along with a number of 25 variants)
http://www.gotransit.com/timetables/images/maps/waterloo_bus_600.png

Shows on tomorrow's schedule here:
http://www.gotransit.com/timetables...x?tableid=25&dir=E&date=2016-06-19&parentid=1

Be sure to select a work day on the schedule.

Correction: I'd earlier stated "one bus a day each direction" for the 25A. It's two out in the (very early) morning, and two coming back. If there was all day train to Milton, Drum's idea would work, and this would be the template.

Here's the ill-fated 39:
GO Transit route 39 'Kitchener'

Route number
Nombre d'itinéraire
Kitchener
Vehicles
D4500, Enviro500
Service Periods Peak periods, Directional
See also Kitchener GO Train, 31
39 Kitchener is a route operated by GO Transit that serves between Guelph Central GO Station and Bramalea GO Station, connected with train services to Toronto Union Station. Despite the name, it does not service Kitchener. This is a peak period directional service, with service to Bramalea GO Station in the morning and service to Guelph Central GO Station in the afternoon. It is part of the Kitchener series of GO Transit routes.

History
Route 39 was implemented during a board change period on December 31, 2011, operating one eastbound trip and three westbound trips, all from connecting trains at Bramalea GO.

Double decker buses were introduced to route 39 in September 2013.

https://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php/GO_Transit_route_39_'Kitchener'

Last edited:
Let the speculation begin.

Fine, I'll say it.

If they landed an agreement with CN on the freight bypass, I wonder if they landed an agreement to build the Lakeshore East extension to Bowmanville.

It's weird timing, but I'm also thinking it could be a huge cash dump so shovels are in the ground during the 2018 election (or sooner if the Liberals lose the 2 upcoming by-elections and four additional MPPs).

Any chance it could be an agreement with CP to use that route to get to Bowmanville? That was the route that was studied I believe.

Fine, I'll say it.

If they landed an agreement with CN on the freight bypass, I wonder if they landed an agreement to build the Lakeshore East extension to Bowmanville.

It's weird timing, but I'm also thinking it could be a huge cash dump so shovels are in the ground during the 2018 election (or sooner if the Liberals lose the 2 upcoming by-elections and four additional MPPs).

I think you're right, it's the padding of the schedule that has them waiting in Guelph, the only possible reason being departure time for those one or two passengers that take the train back to K-W from Guelph. There's no rail traffic at that time, the local GEXR freights long gone earlier in the day back west. It adds insult to injury as to how slow that train can and does move.

There is a "feature" in the GEXR CTC which prevents the signals from clearing upon an RTC request, where one train is following another, until the preceding train is several intermediate signals down the line. This makes no operational sense, since the purpose of having the intermediate block signals is to enable trains to follow each other safely. I know of no other CTC installation that is set up like this.

If you build something cheaply enough, stuff happens.

- Paul

Any chance it could be an agreement with CP to use that route to get to Bowmanville? That was the route that was studied I believe.

Correct. But it's one thing to propose it, another to actually get permission and an agreement to do it.

If anyone wonders why GO/Mx would extend Lakeshore East via the CP Belleville sub, it's to do with land use. The municipalities asked for it, because the line would go through their city centres vs. the CN Kingston sub way to the south. GO/Mx/the province agreed it would be better.

Announcement is live here:

Don Lovisa @DC_Pres
Premier Wynne announces expansion of GO Train service to Bowmanville. 4 new stations. Start by 2024.

Update: looks like it will be on the CP line. The announcement is taking place here next to the line.

Time to dig out that EA (see here):
Granville Anderson @GranvilleMPP

GO Train will come up and over the 401 to bring it to more population dense areas of Courtice and Bowmanville.

Last edited:
Looking at the Bowmanville EA drawings, I wonder what kind of agreement GO had to come to with CP do to this? Would the trackage rights and fees be less because it looks like from the drawings they are building a separate parallel track?

Looking at the Bowmanville EA drawings, I wonder what kind of agreement GO had to come to with CP do to this? Would the trackage rights and fees be less because it looks like from the drawings they are building a separate parallel track?
Likely track sharing agreements, so that GO and CP can divert onto each others' tracks when there is an incident. There also seems to be some track and siding re-alignments.

Back