News   Jul 16, 2024
 130     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 285     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     3 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

I actually prefer the new livery to any of those options. It looks much better in person than it does in the drawing above.

Not sure if it belongs in this thread (Mods, feel free to move it), but over the soggy weekend I sketched a GO train profile with the two-tone colour scheme. Not that big a fan of the two greens Metrolinx went with, so I wanted to play around with different combinations. If anyone has any requests to see color combos, it only take a few seconds to make so I'd happily draw it in. I have a few I made already, but I just want to test how the new site uploads before I post em.

View attachment 48441

View attachment 48444

View attachment 48445

View attachment 48446

The blue and yellow brings back memories of the old VIA livery, which I actually prefer over the new one. It also reminds me of the regional trains in Holland.

Not sure if it belongs in this thread (Mods, feel free to move it), but over the soggy weekend I sketched a GO train profile with the two-tone colour scheme. Not that big a fan of the two greens Metrolinx went with, so I wanted to play around with different combinations. If anyone has any requests to see color combos, it only take a few seconds to make so I'd happily draw it in. I have a few I made already, but I just want to test how the new site uploads before I post em.

View attachment 48441

View attachment 48444

View attachment 48445

View attachment 48446
The top one looks best.

The Lakeshore West is about to see an EA for a 4th track starting with Port Credit Station.

Plans release today calls for an 800 parking structure with towers on it. The current station will be torn down to make way for the 4th track.

I said during the EA for the 3rd track that that we should do the 4th at the same time as we will be back in 10-15 years doing the EA for it.

The EA for Port Credit should be underway in 2016 if Metrolinx wants to start construction on the parking structure in 2018 and completion in 2020 as a P3.

More track capacity for more service by 2020.

The Lakeshore West is about to see an EA for a 4th track starting with Port Credit Station.

Plans release today calls for an 800 parking structure with towers on it. The current station will be torn down to make way for the 4th track.

I said during the EA for the 3rd track that that we should do the 4th at the same time as we will be back in 10-15 years doing the EA for it.

The EA for Port Credit should be underway in 2016 if Metrolinx wants to start construction on the parking structure in 2018 and completion in 2020 as a P3.

More track capacity for more service by 2020.

What kind of service increase does a 4th track enable? Would they do express & local services in both directions?

What kind of service increase does a 4th track enable? Would they do express & local services in both directions?
Probably. All-day Hamilton 2-way service every 60 minutes is on the table. Presumably, this goes express after Oakville. And also, 15-minute RER service all the way to Aldershot (and eventually West Harbour / Stoney Creek beyond the current 10 year plan).

What about Lakeshore East? With the ERMF being built, they are gonna need more than 2 tracks on the GO sub and 3 on the Kingston sub to deadhead consists.
It's my understanding they're going to triple-track the two-track sections, at least as part of the long-term plans.

I actually prefer the new livery to any of those options. It looks much better in person than it does in the drawing above.

The shades of green I chose aren't exactly right. I used a few pics to make what I thought would be the colour, but because of the different lighting conditions I made the light green too neon I think.

Personally I liked what DVR said about having the two greens the same darker shade. IMO the green now is a bit sludgy for my liking, but still better than the faded/dated highway sign green of the older cars. For a new service like SmartTrack or maybe RER, I wouldn't mind seeing a mostly red train. After being in Germany and seeing their bright red subways/commuter trains, I've always thought that'd be a sharp colour to go with.

Personally I liked what DVR said about having the two greens the same darker shade. IMO the green now is a bit sludgy for my liking, but still better than the faded/dated highway sign green of the older cars. For a new service like SmartTrack or maybe RER, I wouldn't mind seeing a mostly red train. After being in Germany and seeing their bright red subways/commuter trains, I've always thought that'd be a sharp colour to go with.
Are there studies or statistics of what colors attract more people to transit?
Red has been a classic transit color in many locations, whether it be Ottawa, London UK, Germany, etc...

The shades of green I chose aren't exactly right. I used a few pics to make what I thought would be the colour, but because of the different lighting conditions I made the light green too neon I think.

Personally I liked what DVR said about having the two greens the same darker shade. IMO the green now is a bit sludgy for my liking, but still better than the faded/dated highway sign green of the older cars.

The highway sign green looks great on new cars and freshly repainted ones, but it bleaches out pretty badly. Let's wait until the sludgy green and the neon wash out and see how they look after about 10 years. I'm sure it'll look as bad as the older green when bleached out. It's too bad they let the cars get so faded between repaints.

Lot's of info, seems like Lakeshore East will take forever.
That is because of higher ridership in the west.

Don't know what the current split is after the first user numbers were release over a year ago for 30 minute service. Over all increase was 29% with the west seeing 42% and the east under 20% in the first year going from memoir.

Increase in the east will to be to Pickering and then falling off. Main reason for lack of increase is the lack of development land. You are in the greenbelt zone.

Until there is a push to go tall to increase density, single homes will not generate the density other than car traffic.

I am currently sitting on the 1043pm Lakeshore West GoTrain.

For some reason, this train is a literal jackrabbit in acceleration, even by near-empty offpeak Lakeshore train standards. It exited the Mimico platforms at almost 50kph, and I witnessed it exit Long Island at 58kph. I am sitting on the trailing car behind the locomotive pusher and watching platform end go past. It is smoothly accelerating from 0 to 60kph in only about 350 meters (the distance of 12 cars). I felt the acceleration more like a TTC subway train than a leisurely GO Train. Very fiesty locomotive by GO Train standards, even if a cargo boat by automotive standards. Smooth, too.

I measured using GPS speedometer app on my iPhone. Normally I see braking at these speeds, but not ACCELERATION... I saw my GO train accelerate westwards from Long Branch stop, at 2kph/sec, the speedometer app digits jump up by 2 every second, hitting 58kph as I saw the platform end go past.

Under what conditions can a locomotive push a 12-car consist this unusually quickly out of a station? Downhill slope, I imagine.

Last edited:
Double locomotive consist, either on the front or back or smaller consist. Not possible another way. Downhill makes a difference but not that much.

There is some minor variance in acceleration between every locomotive but that only amounts to a difference of 3-4 mph between stations. And even that might be largely explained by an inaccurate speedometer reading. Sometimes the speedometers are bang on and other times they're off by as much as 10% - when comparing the reading noted on the speedometer on the dash to that provided on the computer panel and radar based wayside detection systems. Many times on my trip to Niagara I'll be at the speed limit of 65mph(the only line where we can operate at the exact speed limit for a long period of time) only to go over a scanner which gives me a reading of only 59-60mph. Seems the speedometer reading is based off an axle counter which I imagine can vary based on wheel diameter while the speed readings from the computer panel(at the back of the cab - its not something that is easy to check nor are we required to do so) is based off a radar decvice located below the locomotive. The radar is more accurate, however the device can be covered by snow and ice so it's less reliable in that sense.

Last edited:

Back