News   Jul 19, 2024
 396     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 670     1 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Either way good announcement, these kind of things are what will lead to us having a bona fide transit network.

Indeed. The first time the TTC closes a chunk of subway for maintenance and gives a work-around of using GO instead of running a massive number of buses is going to be a real treat.

Much more frequent weekend maintenance ought to reduce TTCs SOGR bill significantly.

Indeed. The first time the TTC closes a chunk of subway for maintenance and gives a work-around of using GO instead of running a massive number of buses is going to be a real treat.
Seems like that's still going to take a long time. The TTC and GO still barely talk to each other regarding fare integration, outside of the failed Danforth-Exhibition experiment.

Seems like that's still going to take a long time. The TTC and GO still barely talk to each other regarding fare integration, outside of the failed Danforth-Exhibition experiment.

That may be a bit of exageration....every time there is a major disruption on a GO line, go handles it by using buses to the stations outside of the 416 and directing those at stations inside the 6 to use the TTC where their tickets/passes will be honoured. So there obviously is "conversation" around those events.

All that is being suggested above is that if there is a disruption on TTC (a closure due to maintenance, a "fire at track level") it could work the other way..."ttc passengers headed to Union are encouraged to use the nearest GO line where their Metropass or transfers will be honoured".

The first time the TTC closes a chunk of subway for maintenance and gives a work-around of using GO instead of running a massive number of buses is going to be a real treat.
That's a good point. The only reason I've had to take the Heathrow Express has been because the Piccadilly Line was closed for weekend track work.

That may be a bit of exageration....every time there is a major disruption on a GO line, go handles it by using buses to the stations outside of the 416 and directing those at stations inside the 6 to use the TTC where their tickets/passes will be honoured. So there obviously is "conversation" around those events.

All that is being suggested above is that if there is a disruption on TTC (a closure due to maintenance, a "fire at track level") it could work the other way..."ttc passengers headed to Union are encouraged to use the nearest GO line where their Metropass or transfers will be honoured".
That's very true...I forgot about that. The difference though is that TTC passengers using GO during a disruption would get a premium service (which usually costs way more), while GO passengers using the TTC during a disruption get inferior service (which is cheaper).

That's very true...I forgot about that. The difference though is that TTC passengers using GO during a disruption would get a premium service (which usually costs way more), while GO passengers using the TTC during a disruption get inferior service (which is cheaper).

I was, mainly, contradicting your notion that they barely speak.....but I think on emergencies no one (not GO not TTC not the province) would begrudge using a 'premium' service at ttc price to alleviate any disruption caused by said emergency

Using a premium service as a substitute is probably better anyway, given that the people pushed onto it didn't intend to be there. It's sort of compensation for the inconvenience, similar to how GO gives refunds.

When the subway shuts down your compensation would be to save about $2 on a GO trip by using TTC fare, and when the GO train shuts down, your compensation is to get your money back ($5-15) and ride the subway for free. GO passengers do get stuck with a slower and less comfortable service, but this is balanced by much greater monetary compensation.

Last edited:
I was surprised by the May 2015 schedule change on the Kitchener Line so I made a table to track the changes.

To recap, this is the schedule change GO describes as: "Some trips on the Kitchener line will now take less time as regular train speeds can resume with construction in the corridor nearing completion."

Screen Shot 2015-04-26 at 01.05.41.png

The eastbound schedules generally have had time 3 to 5 minutes cut between Bloor and Union. 1 minute has been added between Acton and Georgetown and 2 minutes was added between Guelph and Acton on the second Kitchener train.

The westbound schedules are pretty consistent, with 1 minute added between Weston and Etobicoke North, and 1 minute added between Malton and Bramalea. The Mount Pleasant train also has 3 minutes added between Bloor and Weston.

Does anyone have any idea why doubling the railway's speed limit between Union and Malton has been accompanied by longer travel times?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-26 at 01.05.41.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-26 at 01.05.41.png
    153.8 KB · Views: 1,095
Last edited:
I would be very leery of analysing this data. We don't know how much of the added time is dwell time as opposed to running time. Also, I would look further into the past for a baseline. By January 2014, running times were already largely distorted by the construction en route.

Over the longer term, more 12-car trains may be a factor.....the line is largely uphill going west and downhill going east. Just speculating.

- Paul

I would be very leery of analysing this data. We don't know how much of the added time is dwell time as opposed to running time. Also, I would look further into the past for a baseline. By January 2014, running times were already largely distorted by the construction en route.

Over the longer term, more 12-car trains may be a factor.....the line is largely uphill going west and downhill going east. Just speculating.
Also, there's still a lot of construction going on! Really need to wait until 2016 for this to see the sum change of the results. And compare then to the times from 5 years ago.

- Paul

Also, there's still a lot of construction going on! Really need to wait until 2016 for this to see the sum change of the results. And compare then to the times from 5 years ago.

All that is true...but it is kinda head shaking when one of the explanations for changing any of the times is "Some trips on the Kitchener line will now take less time as regular train speeds can resume" and then, what, half of the trips actually take longer.

To me it is not the change in times that has me scratching my head it is that the changes are not in line with the explanation. But, it is what it is.

There are also several new grade separations to be finished after UPX starts operating, that goes all the way to just before Brampton (drum118 mentioned a couple, Torbram and Scarboro). I believe the extra track that hasn't been installed, could be activated by then. All of this will help GO significantly too. Once UPX starts operating, corridor capacity gets consumed, and GO needs to operate "on err of caution" with conservative timetable estimates. Worst comes to worse, the GO trains stay on schedule. Better comes to better, there's frequently longer dwell times and that gives GO room to readjust the timetables to speed up the trains further, especially as extra tracks begin to open, or raised to full-speed operation (temporary speed limit for ballast settling reasons) -- I think in railroading parlance, "TSO" (Temporary Slow Orders).

Some grade separations in Brampton will need to occur eventually (Mill and John St), but that's probably a longer wait due to the difficulty getting things done down that section of corridor.

I suspect it is not too much of a different story than some of the Lakeshore West corridor project which was thought to bring 30min service much sooner, but did not take until 2013 until that was introduced and sub-hour trains to Aldershot -- a few years delay.

Last edited:

Back