News   Jul 16, 2024
 92     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 844     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 976     1 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

There isn't really that many people down at Trullis Road and Baseline. And it's 3.5 km from Trullis Road and 2 to there. It's only 5 km from Trullis/2 to Harmony and the CP tracks - aren't there plans to build the third Oshawa GO station somewhere near there?

Grandview go station will only be built if demand is met.

^ I was going to say...

Courtice is projected to have a lot of suburban growth in the future as well, it has a lot of designated sprawl lands.

^ I was going to say...

Courtice is projected to have a lot of suburban growth in the future as well, it has a lot of designated sprawl lands.

^Yah, I was reading through the suburban sprawl thread recently and the neat map you made inspired the question. I also spent Christmas in Courtice, shocking how much it sprawled already in just a few years.

Interestingly, the PDF document posted above says that there will be more boardings at Courtice/Darlington station than at Bowmanville station. I suppose this suggests that even though Bowmanville is bigger, there are less Toronto/Oshawa bound travelers in Bowmanville than in Courtice.

Last edited:
I guess a rail link to Brantford isn't really a good option then but you would think it would still get decent enough ridership to Hamilton to qualify for decent GO bus connections.

Cambridge maybe more expensive due to non-ownership by GO but I think it will eventually happen. Milton is the fastest growing city in Canada and as it spreads further west there may need to be an extension of GO just to serve those newer areas and Cambridge isn't far beyond that. The Cambridge from Milton extension is a very direct one and I think the ridership is there.

Is the rail to Niagara only happen in the summer?

Milton not only is not a city.....its not really growing that fast.....it is not that hard in the GTA to add 30,400 in the 5 years between censuses.....it just sounds impressive when you start with 53,939 and say you grew by 56.5%.

There are likely 10 or more municipalities in Ontario alone that added significantly more than 30,400 people in the same 5 year period.

Milton, however, is probably growing partially thanks to the mere existence of GO service. I wonder how many percentage of its population take the GO Train, but I would guess it's probably higher than 3.6% (GTHA percentage). Even I, for example, bought a reasonably cheap house in Hamilton (less than Toronto rents) thanks to the existence of GOTrain service to Hamilton and its known expansion.

Can't wait for JamesNorth GO (2015) and Confederation GO (guesstimate: 2017 to be on time for the sesqucentennial), including eventual all day bidirectional service.

Last edited:
Milton, however, is probably growing partially thanks to the mere existence of GO service. I wonder how many percentage of its population take the GO Train, but I would guess it's probably higher than 3.6% (GTHA percentage). Even I, for example, bought a reasonably cheap house in Hamilton (less than Toronto rents) thanks to the existence of GOTrain service to Hamilton and its known expansion.

Can't wait for JamesNorth GO (2015) and Confederation GO (guesstimate: 2017 to be on time for the sesqucentennial), including eventual all day bidirectional service.

Perhaps but some of the places that added way more people (not %) than Milton (Mississauga, Markham, Brampton come to mind) also have GO service.....Milton had an enormous growth spurt because a bunch of developers that had banked land there decades ago built on those lands once the water/sewage infrastructure was put in.....will it continue to grow....yep....at anywhere near 50% per census period....not likely

I saw an in service GO locomotive today that had a "Happy Holidays" banner added to the livery, with snowflakes and candy canes. Did they do this for more than that one train? I don't recall seeing any others like that, but I don't really pay close attention. Have they even ever done this before?

Last edited:
I am fairly certain it is a single train used for their social media photo. Don't remember them doing it in prior years. I remember London Transit always used to have a Santa Claus parade bus that they would leave decked out the whole season and use it on regular routes.

Ya, I remember London Transit doing that too. I hope London begins construction on it's planned BRT soon. They have brought in several new express buses and the ridership is very high. London actually has quite good transit for it's size and high ridership, far higher than Ham/Kit per-capita and by raw numbers.

I saw an in service GO locomotive today that had a "Happy Holidays" banner added to the livery, with snowflakes and candy canes. Did they do this for more than that one train? I don't recall seeing any others like that, but I don't really pay close attention. Have they even ever done this before?

One loco has been done - 607. As far as I can tell, they've never done anything like this before, at least not to a piece of rail equipment.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I saw this loco so many times I could swear there are at least two. Maybe it is on a scheduled route that I end up passing it by at the same time everyday.

What are your thoughts on running a "rapid transit" all day two way frequent service on the GO corridors, like GO RER, but using DMUs rather than EMUs. So basically a non-electrified GO RER?

DMU trains would be like the UPX trains or O-Train in Ottawa. They wouldn't be as nice looking as EMUs, but they would work right? Wouldn't it be cheaper and possibly faster to implement?

What are your thoughts on running a "rapid transit" all day two way frequent service on the GO corridors, like GO RER, but using DMUs rather than EMUs. So basically a non-electrified GO RER?

DMU trains would be like the UPX trains or O-Train in Ottawa. They wouldn't be as nice looking as EMUs, but they would work right? Wouldn't it be cheaper and possibly faster to implement?
There is nothing stopping have a 3-5-7-9 DD DMU, other than changing equipment requirements. You can use DMU's until the system is built for EMU's.

Cost is having non EMU for 30+ years, but could be sold down the road to other systems as they build their system.

The look of EMU to DMU is all in the eyes of the looker. Seen some poor EMU's in Europe, as well the US.

I think that it's worth it to bite the bullet now and move straight to EMUs instead of using DMU as an intermediate step. EMU is unquestionably a cleaner technology, which is both better for the environment and for the optics of the operation (see the UPX "dirty diesel train" controversy), and furthermore, though I'm no expert, I cannot help but say that the acceleration of an EMU's electric motor will be faster than any diesel engine, even in a DMU.

Back