News   May 17, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.3K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 9.5K     9 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

GO Transit relinquishes control of transit project
So... what's really going on here? The original EA was stalled at MoE waiting for approval of the terms of reference. GO is perfectly capable of restarting it under the new streamlined process. Why is Metrolinx taking this over?

And why is it being restarted? Is this an attempt to use the streamlined process to override objections or have discussions led to a new approach to the airport link?

There are many questions with few answers at this point.

Progressive Railroading - The Rail Professionals' Information Source
MOW 1/20/2009
GO Transit begins grade-separation project
GO Transit recently launched construction on the West Toronto Diamond grade separation project, which calls for constructing an underpass to separate commuter-rail and Canadian Pacific Railway traffic.

Under the $277 million project, GO Transit will lower Canadian National Railway Co. tracks along the Georgetown line to run below CPR's North Toronto line rather than across it. The underpass will eliminate scheduling conflicts between CPR and GO trains, and enable GO Transit to increase service frequency on its Georgetown line, according to the commuter railroad.

Third-party utilities, the Dupont Street bridge, train signals and a major water main have been relocated in preparation for construction. The project is scheduled to be complete by spring 2011.

A portion of the project is being funded through the GO Transit Rail Improvement Program, which is governed by the Government of Canada, Province of Ontario and Toronto-area municipal governments via the Canada Strategic Infrastructure Fund.

Progressive Railroading - The Rail Professionals' Information Source
MOW 1/20/2009
GO Transit begins grade-separation project
GO Transit recently launched construction on the West Toronto Diamond grade separation project, which calls for constructing an underpass to separate commuter-rail and Canadian Pacific Railway traffic.

Under the $277 million project, GO Transit will lower Canadian National Railway Co. tracks along the Georgetown line to run below CPR's North Toronto line rather than across it. The underpass will eliminate scheduling conflicts between CPR and GO trains, and enable GO Transit to increase service frequency on its Georgetown line, according to the commuter railroad.

Third-party utilities, the Dupont Street bridge, train signals and a major water main have been relocated in preparation for construction. The project is scheduled to be complete by spring 2011.

A portion of the project is being funded through the GO Transit Rail Improvement Program, which is governed by the Government of Canada, Province of Ontario and Toronto-area municipal governments via the Canada Strategic Infrastructure Fund.

I really, really hate it when people treat me like an idiot. The constant reannouncing of projects to make it seem like there is activity falls into that category.

To state, in early 2009, that they recently commenced this project when their own website says it started in November 2006 is insulting!!!

http://www.gotransit.com/gotrip/detailsSchdDiagram.asp?pID=00014

haha .... good catch.
here I was about to give them praise ;)

haha .... good catch.
here I was about to give them praise ;)

Not much of a catch, really, you see them out there working on it all the time.

I think this new "announcement" just indicates that they are commencing on the next phase of the project but they always word these as if they are new projects....and include the total cost of the whole thing!

so i guess now starts the grade separation. all the work before that was preparation.

what did they do to the dupont bridge? any pics?

does anyone have any diagrams on how it will look when done?

so i guess now starts the grade separation. all the work before that was preparation.

what did they do to the dupont bridge? any pics?

does anyone have any diagrams on how it will look when done?

They have not done that much. Driving through it appears to be just some concrete wall fixing, and overpass rehabilitation, but I could be wrong. I thought that this was for the bike trail.

can't tell much from those photos but you can see more from live maps birds eye view: http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v...&scene=28300507&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

it looks like they are preparing the old TG&B bridge, later an industrial use line for possible use.

i wonder if they will have to use some of this guy's property for the temporary track alignment?:

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v...&scene=28297923&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

Last edited:
really they need an overamp and a 2nd track for the stretch between that and that Bridge near Weston, they can send as many trains as they want on that line.

thanks for the link enviro.

here's an image from the PDF:

2istbmb.jpg

PUBLIC INFORMATION CENTRE #2
Georgetown to Kitchener Rail Expansion

The Study:

GO Transit, the Province of Ontario’s inter-regional public transit service for the Greater Toronto and Hamilton areas, is undertaking a Preliminary Design Study and Class Environmental Assessment to epand rail services from Georgetown to Kitchener. The Study will identify passenger demand for the extended service, track improvements, stations and storage facilities, park and ride facilities and integration with local transit. The study area is from the Mount Pleasant GO station in west Brampton to the Kitchener/Waterloo Region, as shown in the map below

The Process:

The project will follow the planning process for a Group “B” project under GO Transit’s Class Environmental Assessment Document (2005). A key component of the study is consultation with interested stakeholders (public and regulatory agencies) at Public Information Centres (PICs). PICs were held in late September and early October 2008 to present the proposed rail expansion project and alternative station and layover sides being considered. Baseline environmental studies were conducted and preliminary preferred alternative stations and layover sites have been identified.

A second set of PICs will be held to review the baseline study results, preliminary preferred alternative stations and layover sites and to receive public comments. Following the PICs, the preferred stations and layover sites will be finalized taking into consideration the comments received. Upon completion of the study, an Environmental Study Report will be prepared for public review and comment.

Thursday, February 5, 2009
6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church
54 Queen Street North
Kitchener, ON

Thursday, February 12, 2009
Evergreen Seniors Centre
683 Woolwich Street, Room 4
Guelph, ON

Tuesday, February 17, 2009
Halton Hills Cultural Centre
9 Church Street
Georgetown, ON

All locations are wheelchair accessible.

For further information, or to be added to the mailing list, please contact:

Mr. Leonard Rach, P.Eng.
Project Mnaager
R.J. Burnside & Associates
15 Townline
Orangeville, ON L9W 3R4
Tel: 1-800-265-9662 ext 302
Fax: 519-941-8120
E-mail: leonard.rach@rjburnside.com

Mr. J.G. Ashbee, P.Eng
Manager, Infrastructure Expansion Planning
GO Transit
20 Bay Street, Suite 600
Toronto, ON M5J 2W3
Tel: 416-869-3600, ext 5211
Fax: 416-869-1563
E-mail: greg.ashbee@gotransit.com

It would've been great if they would have at least secured space for a future station at West Toronto junction (kind of like crossover stations like Secaucus Jct. in New Jersey, for those who are familiar) in their reconstruction plans.

Back