News   Jul 05, 2024
 3K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 2K     13 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 701     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

So Bramalea to Georgetown the only section they don't own now?

Probably a touch longer than that (few miles on either side; Halwest to Silver) but yeah. That section is CN main line, so they'll not part with it easily.

I got this map from someone on UT a while back. It shows VIA owning from Guelph on West.
railway ownership GTA.jpg

Attachments

• railway ownership GTA.jpg
    railway ownership GTA.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 1,144
Last edited:
It shows VIA owning from Guelph on West]
CN owns the line from London to Georgetown (Silver) on long term lease to GEXR, part of the reason why there has been a sluggish pace of passenger rail upgrades on that corridor.

thats already an outdated map, the Canpa subdivision has been sold to Metrolinx, along with (I believe) the Obico intermodal terminal.

I got this map from someone on UT a while back. It shows VIA owning from Guelph on West.

That would be me, please add a credit next time.

thats already an outdated map, the Canpa subdivision has been sold to Metrolinx, along with (I believe) the Obico intermodal terminal.

True, but that's not exactly a major addition.

oh what the heck, here's the updated map for y'all;

V9vRdvH.png

notes*
-includes future ownership transition of the Guelph sub to GO/Metrolinx
-eliminated abandon freight spurs
-added names for missing subdivision(Campa, NorthToronto & GO subdivisions).
-if I remember correctly, the OBYR line to Orangeville is the Owen Sound subdivision but I don't have any documentation on me now to confirm that so I left it unlabeled on the map

Last edited:
This is the original map courtesy of the RAC(Railway Association of Canada);

I have no idea whether or not the original map is still accessible online nor do I remember where it was found or if they have produced any further updates.

Ever since 2010 I've been updating the map on yearly basis. Everything not seen on that original map is what I've added, in addition to removing out of date information.

A map is only as valuable as it is accurate.

I can't find any reference - either through GO or elsewhere - to GO having purchased the Canpa Sub and Obico yard.

Anyone have the appropriate sources?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

That would be me, please add a credit next time.

I tagged the new image with a copyright. I did look in the EXIF for the one I posted (which I had saved some time ago) but you did not add your copyright data to it, so I didn't know who made it.

Thank-you for updating the map.

I can't find any reference - either through GO or elsewhere - to GO having purchased the Canpa Sub and Obico yard.

Anyone have the appropriate sources?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

To further this along....

I've talked with a friend of mine in the industry, and who has access to all of the varying systems and databases that the railroads use. The Canpa Sub is still registered as being owned by CP.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

To further this along....

I've talked with a friend of mine in the industry, and who has access to all of the varying systems and databases that the railroads use. The Canpa Sub is still registered as being owned by CP.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Now that you mention it I haven't heard anything of the sort on this side either. The only place I've heard of such was on this board and it didn't surprise me considering Obico yards closure. Perhaps insertnamehere can clarify where he heard that information.

Last edited:
Metrolinx is doing something with it though, I've seen some Metrolinx related documents on the sub out of the corner of my eye at work. I just presumed that they had purchased it.

First time for everything. I had an encounter with a big fat rat running around on the GO train last night.

I first saw a gray flash out of the corner of my eye. Something had just whipped past and into a little space between the seats. I watched intently for a few minutes and saw nothing. I was about to assume it was just my imagination, but then a furry face emerged. I thought at first it would be a little mouse, but this sucker was no mouse. I'd guess it was 7 inches long, not including the tail, and it was so fat. I can handle a rat, I did move seats, but I didn't panic. But, can you imagine what would happen if it started running around on a packed rush hour train?!

I can't say I'm surprised about it. Now I know you can't completely get rid of rats in the city, they're everywhere and they will eventually get to places they shouldn't. However I did notice this train car was particularly trash strewn with trash like empty food containers, and all the garbage cans were over flowing. Perhaps it was the train that took the brunt of the post-Raptors game crowd. But thenI've noticed much more trash on evening and late night train trains. I don't think it's because GO is slacking off per se, but because weekend ridership is up noticeably, and the weekend riders are much more likely to bring take out food and drinks on their way home after a day in Toronto. The amount of empty liquor containers and beer bottles on Saturday trains is also getting really crazy. I think GO can't keep up with the trash accumulation without taking the train out of service which is not possible with current logistics. So maybe there needs to be someone available at one of the terminal stations to do a sweep through the cars, and empty some of the garbage each run?

Last edited:
It seems weird to me that GO don't offer rail service on at least the Stouffville line on DVP closure weekend? Between the Gardiner lane restrictions, the QEW crash, the DVP closure and the marathon road restrictions, then add 35000 people heading to the ACC which to be fair was harder to predict given not even the time of the game was known until the day before, it seems like this was a pretty awful weekend for Toronto roads.

First time for everything. I had an encounter with a big fat rat running around on the GO train last night.

I first saw a gray flash out of the corner of my eye. Something had just whipped past and into a little space between the seats. I watched intently for a few minutes and saw nothing. I was about to assume it was just my imagination, but then a furry face emerged. I thought at first it would be a little mouse, but this sucker was no mouse. I'd guess it was 7 inches long, not including the tail, and it was so fat. I can handle a rat, I did move seats, but I didn't panic. But, can you imagine what would happen if it started running around on a packed rush hour train?!

I can't say I'm surprised about it. Now I know you can't completely get rid of rats in the city, they're everywhere and they will eventually get to places they shouldn't. However I did notice this train car was particularly trash strewn with trash like empty food containers, and all the garbage cans were over flowing. Perhaps it was the train that took the brunt of the post-Raptors game crowd. But thenI've noticed much more trash on evening and late night train trains. I don't think it's because GO is slacking off per se, but because weekend ridership is up noticeably, and the weekend riders are much more likely to bring take out food and drinks on their way home after a day in Toronto. The amount of empty liquor containers and beer bottles on Saturday trains is also getting really crazy. I think GO can't keep up with the trash accumulation without taking the train out of service which is not possible with current logistics. So maybe there needs to be someone available at one of the terminal stations to do a sweep through the cars, and empty some of the garbage each run?

Jonny I took the Lakeshore line home one Saturday night from Guildwood last year after visiting the GF. Once everyone got off at Union the car was utterly trashed and looked like a club at 3 am. Bottles and beer cases everywhere. GO/Metrolinx should probably ramp up security on the weekends as I'm sure they'd make a killing on drinking tickets and unpaid fares.

Jonny I took the Lakeshore line home one Saturday night from Guildwood last year after visiting the GF. Once everyone got off at Union the car was utterly trashed and looked like a club at 3 am. Bottles and beer cases everywhere. GO/Metrolinx should probably ramp up security on the weekends as I'm sure they'd make a killing on drinking tickets and unpaid fares.

Maybe they blow their off-peak policing budget around TFC matches.....certainly no shortgage of uniforms around stations and on trains on those days.

Back