News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 397     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Makes sense. I always thought the slow-down through Smiths Falls was because the track between Brockville and Ottawa was single-tracked, and trains could only pass eachother in Smiths Falls. Therefore, if the train coming one way is late (or the other one is early), the other one needs to wait in Smiths Falls until they both arrive. I've sat there for 15-20 minutes at least a couple of times waiting for the other train. And I'm sure I WAS the other train a couple of times too.

Almost every time I've taken the train to Ottawa (I haven't done so recently) that's happened to me. Sometimes for a lot longer than 20 minutes, too!

Almost every time I've taken the train to Ottawa (I haven't done so recently) that's happened to me. Sometimes for a lot longer than 20 minutes, too!

They recently double-tracked at Fallowfield station, but I don't really see the use for this, unless they plan on double-tracking in a few more spots along the line (Richmond would come to mind).

They recently double-tracked at Fallowfield station, but I don't really see the use for this, unless they plan on double-tracking in a few more spots along the line (Richmond would come to mind).

They did. Three additional locations, in fact.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I was at Metrolinx Weston Station Planning meeting Tuesday night and had to laugh at the number for the ARL using this station.

The figure of 500 was given for people going to the airport. If ARL is to run 18 hours a day with 15 minute headway, that 72 trains each way. This means there will be an average of 7 people getting on these trains.

There is no cost at this time for the fare.

At the same time, it was stated that 51 GO trains will service the station with more peak train going one way and hourly bi-directional for off peak come 2015.

Between ARL and GO, 123 trains will service this station.

Once again, GO has shot themselves in the foot by not running bi-directional service during peak time considering it is in the EA report of doing so.

Come fall 2012, there will be a temporary hut for a station on the south side until a new one is built by 2014.

All 4 platforms will be high platforms at the north end to service the ARL with 12 cars platforms to the south of them. A ramp will be used to go from high to low.

Based on this plan, these DUM's cannot be used on any other GO line as original plan unless the existing new platforms are raised for the stations on that line like the Weston station.

Bottom line, love to know where GO going to get the manpower not only for these trains, but also the Lakeshore and other lines going to 30 minute-hourly all day service by 2015. GO has said they have a plan, but we will see come 2013/14.

Based on this plan, these DUM's cannot be used on any other GO line as original plan unless the existing new platforms are raised for the stations on that line like the Weston station.

That's always been the plan. Did you only get the memo now?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

That's always been the plan. Did you only get the memo now?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Show me the Memo, Since you Know EveryThing.

Sure there been a plan, but its a bad plan that keeps changing and getting worse, as well more costly.

Were the ramps for the ARL part of the plan? ""NO"".

What side of the mouth is talking today will not be the same side tomorrow, as well who been spoken too.

At no time at any Metrolinx BOD has the issue of raised platforms been mention to the board by staff or to the public.

From what I know, there is no plans for the California project to have raise platforms for its stations.

I was at Metrolinx Weston Station Planning meeting Tuesday night and had to laugh at the number for the ARL using this station.

The figure of 500 was given for people going to the airport. If ARL is to run 18 hours a day with 15 minute headway, that 72 trains each way. This means there will be an average of 7 people getting on these trains.

There is no cost at this time for the fare.

At the same time, it was stated that 51 GO trains will service the station with more peak train going one way and hourly bi-directional for off peak come 2015.

Between ARL and GO, 123 trains will service this station.

Once again, GO has shot themselves in the foot by not running bi-directional service during peak time considering it is in the EA report of doing so.

Come fall 2012, there will be a temporary hut for a station on the south side until a new one is built by 2014.

All 4 platforms will be high platforms at the north end to service the ARL with 12 cars platforms to the south of them. A ramp will be used to go from high to low.

Bottom line, love to know where GO going to get the manpower not only for these trains, but also the Lakeshore and other lines going to 30 minute-hourly all day service by 2015. GO has said they have a plan, but we will see come 2013/14.

This is not surprising at all, Weston is a poor neighborhood so most people here cannot afford the fares for the airport rail link nor can they afford air travel. The residents here are going to be very unhappy that there are 4 trains per hour to the airport and downtown which they cannot afford to use, but only one train an hour to downtown and Brampton which they can afford. Maybe if some airport employees live here and are given a discount they will use it?

I strongly suspect that the ARL stop here will be discontinued shortly after opening due to low ridership.

I strongly suspect that the ARL stop here will be discontinued shortly after opening due to low ridership.
I'd thinks so. At the same time a stop at Eglinton would be very useful after the Eglinton line is opened around 2020. I suspect they've simply built the Weston stop because it was simpler than arguing with the community, and will use low ridership to move the stop to Eglinton.

I'd thinks so. At the same time a stop at Eglinton would be very useful after the Eglinton line is opened around 2020. I suspect they've simply built the Weston stop because it was simpler than arguing with the community, and will use low ridership to move the stop to Eglinton.

A stop at Eglinton would definitely make sense. It would make even more sense when all-day two-way service exists on the Georgetown line. Having that connection there would definitely reduce the amount of people that would be funnelled to the YUS line.

i sometimes think of the orfus road area with all those warehouses. sometimes i wonder if a developer could go in there in prepose a condo development on a smaller scale like city place. close proximity to 401. close proximity to yorkdale. somewhat close to the subway and could a GO stop be created at lawrence and caledonia. its just a thought but it looks like a lot of plusses for a developer 20 yrs from now.

i sometimes think of the orfus road area with all those warehouses. sometimes i wonder if a developer could go in there in prepose a condo development on a smaller scale like city place. close proximity to 401. close proximity to yorkdale. somewhat close to the subway and could a GO stop be created at lawrence and caledonia. its just a thought but it looks like a lot of plusses for a developer 20 yrs from now.

That is a long-term possibility. Another option is the lands around Duncan Mill Rd, on the northeast side of Leslie and York Mills. Would be close to the 401 and right on the Richmond Hill line.

everything is long term but things are moving so fast who knows. the lawrence heights redevelopment and the downsview plans are suppose to both take 20 years. to me that sounds like a long time when you consider the condos are all 15 floors and under. 15 floor condos should be quicker to sell and easier to build then the 60s they are building downtown. im pretty sure city place would be bigger then these two projects together. and city place has only taken 10 years to complete. anyways im happy if new go stops can spur development.

That is a long-term possibility. Another option is the lands around Duncan Mill Rd, on the northeast side of Leslie and York Mills. Would be close to the 401 and right on the Richmond Hill line.

wouldnt a stop so close at sheppard be a detriment. they wouldnt make an additional go stop at ellesmere would they?

wouldnt a stop so close at sheppard be a detriment. they wouldnt make an additional go stop at ellesmere would they?

All depends on where they're placed. If the Sheppard stop is on the north side of Sheppard, and the York Mills stop (it's not Ellesmere until Victoria Park btw) were on the south side of York Mills, it may work. 2km inside of Toronto is still a good distance. I don't see it being included on opening day, but if enough condos pop up around there, I would think it would certainly warrant a stop.

Show me the Memo, Since you Know EveryThing.

Well Dave, you're the one who goes to all of the meetings, aren't you? I don't have any contacts on the ARL side of things, so I'm not getting any memos about it.

For the record, SMART has always planned to use only high-level platforms at its stations, with gauntlet track at stations where freights still run.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back