News   Jun 28, 2024
 3.1K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.7K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 619     1 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

I would hope that the "next basket" will include a combination of municipal level transit and regional level (GO) projects. Quite reasonable that GO Milton would be one of those.

The point is - while other corridors were a little cheaper, Milton GO will be equivalent to a crosstown subway in expense. It will need to compete with other projects of that size and cost.

It's interesting to consider what might be in that second basket - full Niagara service? Milton? Full double track to Kitchener? HFR to London?

- Paul
I guess my angst is that things don’t get cheaper and if it keeps getting passed it will continue to rise in price making more excuses for it to not happen.

Again Hazel is no longer our mayor and these decisions were during her time.

Maybe naming everything hazel has given off the idea that she’s going to run this city from the grave. But she’s not. She’s gone. It’s time to move on.
The point I was reply to was: "If I got a dollar for every time someone mentioned Mississauga doesn't have good transit because Scarborough sucked in all the funds"

The reason Scarborough keeps coming up is because they sure seem to be spending those finite transit dollars at a fast pace.
A correction here. Scarborough keeps coming up because you keep bringing that in every thread and then that becomes a long discussion that ends up derailing the thread. You have made your thoughts clear on this matter and others have made their counter arguments as well. I understand your angst but it's time to give this topic a rest. Your posts won't help Mississauga get better transit any faster.

L
A correction here. Scarborough keeps coming up because you keep bringing that in every thread and then that becomes a long discussion that ends up derailing the thread. You have made your thoughts clear on this matter and others have made their counter arguments as well. I understand your angst but it's time to give this topic a rest. Your posts won't help Mississauga get better transit any faster.
sure. I bring it up. Doesn’t mean I’m objectively wrong. And sure it won’t change Mississauga getting transit faster. As long as the discrepancy is there you should expect someone to bring up the subject.

Honestly I think it’s easier to extend line 2 west than ever getting traction on Milton. Even extending to Cloverdale or Sherway would lead to improvements for Mississauga and Etobicoke riders.

Milton is a big project and so is line 2. But line 2 doesn’t have an unwilling partner like CP to worry about.

Honestly I think it’s easier to extend line 2 west than ever getting traction on Milton. Even extending to Cloverdale or Sherway would lead to improvements for Mississauga and Etobicoke riders.

Milton is a big project and so is line 2. But line 2 doesn’t have an unwilling partner like CP to worry about.
cloverdale seems like the best choice as it means the missisauga busses have less of a run on dundas

That's CPKC now. Said partner is even bigger now.

I'll add some more whining and sour grapes, and point out this could have been addressed by the freight bypass. Wynne struck a deal that cut CP out, and Ford scrapped the rest.

It's a great shame that we can't do what most European countries do and take ownership of the tracks and give priority to passenger rail over freight. The fact that a private freight company can hold so many people hostage on a corridor that only runs like 8 trains a day is embarrassing.

It's a great shame that we can't do what most European countries do and take ownership of the tracks and give priority to passenger rail over freight. The fact that a private freight company can hold so many people hostage on a corridor that only runs like 8 trains a day is embarrassing.
I'm about 100% sure the CNR Halton sub runs more trains per day than the CP Galt sub and they are able to accommodate more traffic.

In my personal opinion the biggest bottle neck on the Halton Sub is the Humber River Bridge at Mile 4.5. Most of the bridges and overpasses are wide enough for triple tracking. But that's getting off topic

L

sure. I bring it up. Doesn’t mean I’m objectively wrong. And sure it won’t change Mississauga getting transit faster. As long as the discrepancy is there you should expect someone to bring up the subject.
It's okay to bring that subject once in a while but not in every thread every few days. I am unhappy with my bus service. How will ii help anyone if I bring that up everyday on this board?

It wouldn't be a good idea to try. Unless we're willing to nationalize the rails

That's exactly what we're talking about, and its a perfectly sensible idea.

and spend hundreds of billions

It wouldn't require hundreds of billions to nationalize some corridor, that would buy you both freight carriers lock, stock and barrel.

, and since rail has a lot of special laws expropriating sections of line might outright fail.

Where do you get this stuff from? There are no 'special' laws protecting railways from nationalization in whole or in part.

Canada doesn't not have constitutional property rights in any event, which means that any rights that did exist in law could be repealed.

But for the record, no one is suggesting 'seizure' of the rails.

The government has plenty of means at its disposal, both carrot and stick to garner cooperation.

That's exactly what we're talking about, and its a perfectly sensible idea.

It wouldn't require hundreds of billions to nationalize some corridor, that would buy you both freight carriers lock, stock and barrel.

Where do you get this stuff from? There are no 'special' laws protecting railways from nationalization in whole or in part.

Canada doesn't not have constitutional property rights in any event, which means that any rights that did exist in law could be repealed.

But for the record, no one is suggesting 'seizure' of the rails.

The government has plenty of means at its disposal, both carrot and stick to garner cooperation.
I remember seeing a post here a while back where someone said MX doesn't want to potentially get blocked in court. would this be worth the cost even, it would be at least tens of billions is my guess.

You'd have to pay for the value of the rails, and whatever income they're getting. On top of that I feel CN or CP would really drag their feet on other projects out of spite.

And what benefit would you get? Off peak service nobody would use? I'm on the lakeshore line after work several times a week, and I see maybe 3 people per coach across 100 trips.
I don't see milton or kitchener getting much more use than lakeshore

You remove the heart, you kill the body. Expropriating a corridor that is central to a carrier's profitability would definitely impact on the price. Whether it is hundreds of billions or not is beyond me (the market capitalization of both RRs is about $150Bn total) but it would certainly be shockingly expensive.

It's true we don't have Constitutional protection of property rights, and corporations have limited access to the Charter, but anything that looks closer to State seizure than fair market value would, if nothing else, have financial implications for Canada on the world stage.

Back