News   Jul 16, 2024
 680     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 604     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 744     2 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

From GO's operating budget for 2011-2012, just published as part of the April 28 Metrolinx Agenda.

The following will be funded.

- Extension to Kitchener/Waterloo;
-Extension to Barrie Waterfront;
-Two additional peak period trips on Barrie corridor;
-Increasing the number of 12-car trains across all corridors during the year;
-Adding four shoulder peak trips on Lakeshore corridor;
-Responding to the needs for special event services; and
-Adding additional bus trips within the system to address areas of highdemand.

I asked today at Metrolinx media meeting today why is it that we have the largest Regional rail system in NA that does not offer 30 minutes service on the Lakeshore line that was promisse to be in place a few years ago? When do we expect to see it?

I said the only operation cost to add 5 more trains is the crews for these extra trains since all the other capital and operating cost are cover now by the current operation.

The CEO responded that that all lines will see all day express service every 15 minutes and happy dance away from my question. What time frame?? 5-20years??

I keep getting the same song and dance from GO preident over those years why we don't have 30 minutes.

Some info regarding the proposed GO Bolton line.

http://www.vaughan.ca/vaughan/council/minutes_agendas/committee_2011/pdf/CW(WS)0517_1.pdf

Interesting as it appears that GO will be using the tracks that serve York U/Sheppard W train stations, travelling west on the CP (?) line just north of Steeles then back onto the Macteir sub around Islington/Steeles. Apparently this is to avoid congestion on the Georgetown South/ARL tracks.

The documents images are not very clear so I can't really make them out nor can I find the metrolinx report that is discussed in the above. If anyone can find it please post.

The documents images are not very clear so I can't really make them out nor can I find the metrolinx report that is discussed in the above. If anyone can find it please post.
I can't find the full report itself - why Metrolinx keeps such stuff top secret, yet circulates them to every local politician I don't know ...

There is however, a March 22nd Metrolinx presentation on the Town of Caledon's website - http://www.town.caledon.on.ca/contentc/townhall/council/agendaitems/D11Metrolinx.pdf In it, you can clearly see the figures. It also notes that "Rail service to Bolton is not contemplated in the next 15 years".

Also from the March 22nd Town of Caledon meeting is request to expedite the line, which does include the executive summary of the report - http://www.town.caledon.on.ca/contentc/townhall/council/agendaitems/RB12PD-2011-019.pdf

There is also discussion of the report in an upcoming Region of York meeting - http://www.york.ca/NR/rdonlyres/j22...odqezw4yjpbgg24wk4viq5flwizjg/rpt+5+cls+2.pdf which also notes that service isn't contemplated in the next 15 years.

I'm surprised that they are contemplating serving both the existing York University station and the Downsview Park station (new Sheppard West subway station that is under construction). I assumed that the existing York University station was temporary and would vanish once the GO connected to the subway.

I asked today at Metrolinx media meeting today why is it that we have the largest Regional rail system in NA that does not offer 30 minutes service on the Lakeshore line that was promisse to be in place a few years ago? When do we expect to see it?

I said the only operation cost to add 5 more trains is the crews for these extra trains since all the other capital and operating cost are cover now by the current operation.

The CEO responded that that all lines will see all day express service every 15 minutes and happy dance away from my question. What time frame?? 5-20years??

I keep getting the same song and dance from GO preident over those years why we don't have 30 minutes.

Disgusting. Keep trying.

I can't find the full report itself - why Metrolinx keeps such stuff top secret, yet circulates them to every local politician I don't know ...

There is however, a March 22nd Metrolinx presentation on the Town of Caledon's website - http://www.town.caledon.on.ca/contentc/townhall/council/agendaitems/D11Metrolinx.pdf In it, you can clearly see the figures. It also notes that "Rail service to Bolton is not contemplated in the next 15 years".

Also from the March 22nd Town of Caledon meeting is request to expedite the line, which does include the executive summary of the report - http://www.town.caledon.on.ca/contentc/townhall/council/agendaitems/RB12PD-2011-019.pdf

There is also discussion of the report in an upcoming Region of York meeting - http://www.york.ca/NR/rdonlyres/j22...odqezw4yjpbgg24wk4viq5flwizjg/rpt+5+cls+2.pdf which also notes that service isn't contemplated in the next 15 years.

I'm surprised that they are contemplating serving both the existing York University station and the Downsview Park station (new Sheppard West subway station that is under construction). I assumed that the existing York University station was temporary and would vanish once the GO connected to the subway.

Thanks for the link, much clearer!!! My understanding is that York U station will be demolished and a new station built at hwy 7 after the Sheppard W station is built (I assume some time after the completion of the subway extension. No reason why they can't plan with that station in mind as it will likely be there for a few years.

So I know that Vaughan is actively trying to get this project fast-tracked, now Caledon is as well. I wonder what Bolton's stance on the project is, the don't really seem to be a very transit friendly municipality. If all three put their weight together given the upcoming election perhaps they can get this moved up the priority list. Even though it was defined as being beyond a 15 yr time frame it was also identified as a quick win, something that could be built and up and running fairly quickly and inexpensively. So it could be used to influence some intensification along the line if the provincial government could reach an agreement with the municipalities.

The report states that ridership is projected to be around 4400 passengers per day. I wonder if this is just the bolton station itself or the entire line. 4400 passengers still works out to about 2 - 4 trains if each 12 car train holds 1600 - 2000 passengers. I dunno, I'll admit bias in wanting to get this built but isn't that pretty good for what is essential a peak period commuter line?

I'm also somewhat surprised by the routing, I thought they'd want to have the line cross with whatever transit improvements are planned along Finch W. Instead it ties into the York subway extension. Although I think it was more routing preference than trying to hit a transfer point with another significant line.

Well I am not in the 90% on time range using the Lakeshore west section. More like 75%.
TORONTO, May 17, 2011 /CNW/ - GO Transit customers arrived on time at their destinations 94 per cent of the time in the last fiscal year, according to the most recent on-time performance statistics for GO Transit rush hour train service.
The 94 per cent on-time performance for 2010-11 is up from 91.7 per cent in 2009-10. These new statistics were part of the GO Transit Quarterly Board Report, which were presented at the most recent Metrolinx Board meeting on April 28, 2011.
"GO is pleased to say that, even during winter months, our trains continue to get most of our customers where they need to be, on time," said GO Transit President Gary McNeil. "We have made track and maintenance improvements to reduce the length and the number of delays. Our focus is to improve the service for our customers as much as we can."
Other customer-focused improvements are also making an impact to the GO experience.
In November 2010, GO Transit launched its first-ever Passenger Charter, a set of five promises made to customers to improve their traveling experiences.
Each of these promises is graded in a report card - characterized as key performance indicators (KPIs) - which are available for the public to read online at www.gotransit.com/promise.
One of these promises - we will do our best to be on time - is just one of the promises GO is meeting. The current on-time performance for trains (94 per cent) is even higher than GO's target of 90 per cent - a figure set as a goal with the launch of the Passenger Charter.
In 2010-11, GO has also noted an increase in passengers choosing to use GO Transit. Ridership has increased 1.2 per cent, up to 57 million passengers last year.
Passengers and the public can continue to monitor improvements GO is making to improve the passenger experience. Check out www.gotransit.com/promise for the latest information.

GO Transit is a division of Metrolinx, an agency of the Province of Ontario. GO is the interregional public transit system linking Toronto with the surrounding regions of the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area (GTHA). GO carries about 57 million passengers a year in an extensive network of train and bus services that spans over 10,000 square kilometres. Follow GO on Twitter and Facebook.

Milton/Airport GO Bus Passengers: GO Transit is undertaking an Environmental Assessment (EA) in accordance with Ontario’s Transit Project Assessment Process (TPAP) to introduce bus access roads to link the future Mississauga Bus Rapid Transit Station with major roads in the area.

Your participation is an important part of the process and we welcome your input. You are invited to attend the upcoming Public Information Centre on Wednesday, June 1st, 2011 at Etobicoke Olympium, 590 Rathburn Road, Toronto. GO Transit staff and the study consultants will be on hand to discuss plans, answer questions, and receive your comments.

For more information, visit the Expansion Projects page at gotransit.com or click on the link www.gotransit.com/public/en/improve/projects.aspx"

This is not ideal, there's barely enough people for the runs we have now. There used to be 55 jobs in total, but its been cut back to 52. Most of which will be 5 days a week 10 hour a day, meaning tons of OT, which at 65$/hr all of us will gladly take.
Also they are only training 4 new engineers (who will take 6 months to train and before more can start)
Meaning come fall time you'll be lucky see any new runs out there this year. Sure you got lots of empty trains sitting out there mid-day, but you've got no one to run them! Unless they're going to start bring in some CN/CP crews which is going to cost some serious $$$, certainly more than the OT rate and that's only even IF CN/CP are willing.

Last edited:
With all the padding added to GO schedules on Lakeshore West, they shouldn't ever be late. Weekend trains feel like they crawl lately, but are always "on time".

Niagara Falls Train service starts this weekend and speaking of that, are you allowed to use this train to get from Union to intermediate stations? It is so much faster...

To Port Credit: 18 vs. 25 min
To Oakville: 29 vs. 39 min
To Burlington: 40 vs. 59 min

Niagara Falls Train service starts this weekend and speaking of that, are you allowed to use this train to get from Union to intermediate stations? It is so much faster...
Can't see why not. If service is restricted somehow between certain stations, it would show up on the schedule. And there are no notes on http://www.gotransit.com/publicroot/en/PDF/Timetables/CurrentBoard/Table13.pdf

I think as long as you pay your fair, and have a valid ticket, you are fine.

Back