News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 431     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

I was in Peterborough today. Stopped by the old train station. Such potential if money and curves can be found.

I see that GO Transit went to Havelock as late as 1992. Shame this wasn’t made a permanent route.

Only VIA operated to Havelock

GO trains have operated one-of on the Havelock line as private charters, but GO has never operated a service on that route.

GO had the option of taking over when VIA bowed out, but declined.

- Paul
Slightly off topic... but I do recall VIA using GO equipment to like London in the 90s due some shortage of lrc cars?

I think those bridge sections for the Bala Sub are for this bridge over the east don trail. Strange place to create a siding but it looks like they are creating space to add another bridge span.

They would need to add another bridge span to the bridge to the north and not sure if there is space under the Belleville Sub trestle without some modifications.
Screenshot_20221030-165838.png

great! but talk about useless times! You think they would have put their busiest trains as express trips.. (typically ~8:30-9am arrivals in the morning and 4:30-5pm departures in the afternoon)

These 4 express trips all solidly fall outside of normal commute hours, particularly the evening trains.

The good news is that Metrolinx seems to now be introducing trickles of new trips every few weeks, presumably as engineers graduate from training, so hopefully they can incrementally fill in the core hour express route trips soon.
Although it's not the busiest period of the day, it may well have been the most crowded. In the previous eastbound timetable, service was every 30 minutes until the 08:00 arrival at Union, then every 15 minutes from 08:00 to 09:00 (inclusive), then every 30 minutes for the rest of the day. Increasing service from 2tph to 4tph from 07:00 to 08:00 is probably more critical than increasing service from 4 tph to 6 tph from 08:00 to 09:00.

In the PM, westbound service was every 15 minutes from 16:15 to 17:45. The two new express trips fill the first 30-minute gaps before and after that period.

Adding in those express trips didn't require any changes to existing trips, but restoring 6 tph will require a bigger change to the schedule. Half of the current trains will become expresses, and then new trains will be added between Oakville and Union to fill the local slots they currently occupy.

It will be interesting for GO to see how many current peak-period riders shift their work schedules to make use of those shoulder-peak express trips.

If you look at the pdf it's 4-5 mins earlier

You're right, the PDF timetable and the trip planner show the departure time as 05:21 from London, while the announcement says 05:16.

The AM departure time changes are:
6 min later at London
6 min later at St Marys
4 min later at Stratford
1 min later at Kitchener
No changes east of Kitchener

So the travel time savings are:
2 min St Marys to Stratford,
3 min Stratford to Kitchener,
1 min Kitchener to Guelph.

This increases the average speed between Kitchener and Guelph from 74 km/h to 79 km/h, and increases the average speed from London to Kitchener from 38 km/h to 39 km/h.

Hopefully the 38 km/h average in October 2022 was rock bottom for the London-Kitchener line, and average speeds will only improve from here.
Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Although it's not the busiest period of the day, it may well have been the most crowded. In the previous eastbound timetable, service was every 30 minutes until the 08:00 arrival at Union, then every 15 minutes from 08:00 to 09:00 (inclusive), then every 30 minutes for the rest of the day. Increasing service from 2tph to 4tph from 07:00 to 08:00 is probably more critical than increasing service from 4 tph to 6 tph from 08:00 to 09:00.
Restoring 6 tph will require a bigger change to the schedule since the half of the current trains will become expresses, then new trains are added between Oakville and Union to maintain the 15-minute local service.

You're right, the PDF timetable and the trip planner show the departure time as 05:21 from London, while the announcement says 05:16.

The AM departure time changes are:
+6 min at London
+6 min at St Marys
+4 min at Stratford
+1 min at Kitchener
No changes east of Kitchener

So the travel time savings are 2 min between St Marys and Stratford, 3 min between Stratford and Kitchener and 1 min between Kitchener and Guelph. This increases the average speed between Kitchener and Guelph from 74 km/h to 79 km/h, and increases the average speed from London to Kitchener from 38 km/h to 39 km/h.
I thought that the removal of slow orders was supposed to make the train faster not slower.

I think those bridge sections for the Bala Sub are for this bridge over the east don trail. Strange place to create a siding but it looks like they are creating space to add another bridge span.

They would need to add another bridge span to the bridge to the north and not sure if there is space under the Belleville Sub trestle without some modifications.
View attachment 436024

I don't think any sidings are being created there. I think these are just access roads besides the track to install the new bridges. Maybe @smallspy @crs1026 know for sure.

I don't think any sidings are being created there. I think these are just access roads besides the track to install the new bridges. Maybe @smallspy @crs1026 know for sure.

I have not heard a single word about adding capacity on the Richmond Hill line , and if it were true I’m sure Ml would have said something about it by now.

For that matter, adding sidings by building new bridges is exactly how one would NOT add sidings…. absurdly expensive. Usually if lines are partially double tracked, the added track is built on dry land and the bridges are left single track until it’s absolutely necessary to twin the bridge.

At best, the existing spans may be getting replaced, and if so great.

Nothing to see here.

- Paul

I have not heard a single word about adding capacity on the Richmond Hill line , and if it were true I’m sure Ml would have said something about it by now.

For that matter, adding sidings by building new bridges is exactly how one would NOT add sidings…. absurdly expensive. Usually if lines are partially double tracked, the added track is built on dry land and the bridges are left single track until it’s absolutely necessary to twin the bridge.

At best, the existing spans may be getting replaced, and if so great.

Nothing to see here.

- Paul
The span that is in place looks to be in good condition. Why would they need to dig around the bridge if they are just replacing the span?

The span that is in place looks to be in good condition. Why would they need to dig around the bridge if they are just replacing the span?

Many are being replaced so I assume Metrolinx has determined they've reached the end of their life. They've done this on other corridors. From the October 28th Metrolinx Toronto East email newsletter:

1667182461614.png

The "here" link takes you to a PDF that has "November 2020" in the filename (screenshot below). That probably explains why the Notice below says the work is ongoing to "mid-2021". Looks like there's still more work to do. The delay bridge for the Phase 2 East Don Trail has been discussed in GO Construction and East Don Trail threads.

Latest TRCA update here from August 15, 2022.

1667182587946.png

Many are being replaced so I assume Metrolinx has determined they've reached the end of their life. They've done this on other corridors. From the October 28th Metrolinx Toronto East email newsletter:

View attachment 436069

The "here" link takes you to a PDF that has "November 2020" in the filename (screenshot below). That probably explains why the Notice below says the work is ongoing to "mid-2021". Looks like there's still more work to do. The delay bridge for the Phase 2 East Don Trail has been discussed in GO Construction and East Don Trail threads.

Latest TRCA update here from August 15, 2022.

View attachment 436070
Interesting. But none of the trestles need replacement? I was hoping that they would double track some sections between Oriole and Old Cummer to allow trains to pass. All of the bridges over roadways are double track compatible.

Back