News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 460     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Very likely the decision-makers don't use GO Transit, or public transit, in general. So they do not "see" the ridership increase.
We should throw all of them on the London or Niagara bound rush hour train mixed with other riders, having public transit as their only option, and see if they’ll still stick to their decision.

Well with election time near, maybe it's time to start asking current MPP's what's going on at Metrolinx? We need Government members to publicly defend their agency and opposition members publicly grill Government members about these decisions.
If, as speculated, this is all about making good news at a certain date to improve election outcomes, then I would assume any negative discussion in the public realm about Government agency decisions would not be looked favorably by PC members.

It’s a lot of work to shunt cars around to shorten/lengthen trains, so it’s probably happening in stages, with some trains already up to the new 10-car lengths..
I watch Thomas shunt cars daily with ease. Perhaps Sir Topham Hatt could get more productivity out of these trains.

”How dare you say we’re holding back service. We’re merely not providing it”.
Can't hold back service if that service doesn't exist!
1648222130333.png

”How dare you say we’re holding back service. We’re merely not providing it”.
Seems like GO's board invited YRT's board to dinner one evening and started discussing about how they could make the service be just like them. And then drank a couple shots and went with whatever YRT said without hesitation.

@smallspy any word on where the rest of the service improvements we've both heard about went? I'm assuming they're still coming pre-election.

The scaling back of the proposed improvements seems to have taken everyone that I know of within the organization by surprise. But I see no reason not to believe that the originally projected changes won't still happen soon.

Dan

Looking at the schedules, its set all the way until May 25. The YRT comparisons might actually be accurate… I really hope its just a placeholder date and we get a real update before then or we might start seeing this happen...
SPORTING_Art_Evergreen-Catching-out_t670.png
6703784-0-image-a-2_1543331621289.jpg

View attachment 388091

GO Transit - Maybe it's time to add a few more trains to the schedule
To be fair: I have yet to see any train anywhere on this planet which regularly has a seating capacity comparable to a 12-car GO train (more than 1900 seats). To compare: S-Bahn trains in Germany typically operate with no more than 9 single-level cars (576 seats, if triple sets of DB Class 423) and Regional Express trains typically consist of 4-6 bi/multi-level cars.

(Note that GO trains are basically a hybrid of the two German train categories I mentioned)

Last edited:
To be fair: I have yet to see any train anywhere on this planet which regularly has a seating capacity comparable to a 12-car GO train (more than 1900 seats). To compare: S-Bahn trains in Germany typically operate with no more than 9 single-level cars (576 seats, if triple sets of DB Class 423) and Regional Express trains typically consist of 4-6 bi/multi-level cars.

(Note that GO trains are basically a hybrid of the two German train categories I mentioned)
Yeah but theres a really good reason for that.

Because its a lot better to offer frequent service with smaller trains.

Back