News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 498     1 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

I feel like GO Transit should really take over and especially with GO RER coming, trains can meet buses from the furthest priority station. Trains to Kitchener, Hamilton, Barrie, Niagara and Oshawa could really run super express trains to meet with the long distance buses at these cities that will also save time, as they don't have to sit in any GTA traffic at all. This should be a branch of GO however, I really had the term 'GO X' in mind (the X would mean Extended and that's a great term for long distance).

There should also be a way that GO could communicate with Manitoba and Quebec's provincial government, and run buses to Winnipeg and Montreal respectively, and they could take it from there to other provinces/cities. That would better serve a greater distance and since these big cities are 1-2 Hours away from the Ontario border anyways, they wouldn't be too far off the scale.

Go should definitely take over some of these routes because Via often enough does not have enough capacity to meet the demand, especially during reading week. If you're travelling from Ottawa to Toronto, you better order those Via tickets 2 months early because otherwise you're stuck with Greyhound (or I guess absolutely nothing now since they're gone). Trust me, I know from experience.
I don't know what VIA Rail you use, but I have purchased tickets the day of several times for trips to points east of Toronto, including to Ottawa and Montreal.

Dan

I don't know what VIA Rail you use, but I have purchased tickets the day of several times for trips to points east of Toronto, including to Ottawa and Montreal.

Dan
Most times VIA has empty seats, but peak times at the beginning and end of university semesters + reading week and thanksgiving fill up early.

Dan
Try booking the sunday reading week ends, or the weekend reading week starts, and have fun.

Try booking the sunday reading week ends, or the weekend reading week starts, and have fun.

Is this a surprise? Try booking an airline seat for the Friday of spring break.

All modes of travel will face peak periods. It’s not economical to maintain a fleet big enough for those peaks, if the seats sit idle the rest of the year.

There was a time in the 70’s and early 80’s when CN/VIA had a secondary fleet of coaches dating from the 1930’s that were mostly used on Friday and Sunday. That was a long time ago, and there’s no way VIA can afford to do that today.

Bus llines of that era had to resort to the charter operators to find enough buses and drivers for their peaks.

- Paul

I feel like GO Transit should really take over and especially with GO RER coming, trains can meet buses from the furthest priority station. Trains to Kitchener, Hamilton, Barrie, Niagara and Oshawa could really run super express trains to meet with the long distance buses at these cities that will also save time, as they don't have to sit in any GTA traffic at all. This should be a branch of GO however, I really had the term 'GO X' in mind (the X would mean Extended and that's a great term for long distance).

There should also be a way that GO could communicate with Manitoba and Quebec's provincial government, and run buses to Winnipeg and Montreal respectively, and they could take it from there to other provinces/cities. That would better serve a greater distance and since these big cities are 1-2 Hours away from the Ontario border anyways, they wouldn't be too far off the scale.

ONTC already runs buses to Winnipeg.

Should we really be encouraging people to ride a bus to Winnipeg? It's like 24 hours away!

GO needs to finally get some bus service in the following corridors:
  • Hamilton <-> Cambridge <-> K-W
  • Hamilton <-> Guelph
  • Brampton <-> Richmond Hill
  • Newmarket <-> Uxbridge <-> Port Perry
  • Barrie <-> Wasaga Beach (seasonal)
Tbh I think Barrie-Collingwood would be better than Barrie-Wasaga Beach. More people, better justification for year round service, same general area, could maybe lay the ground for a rail extension to Collingwood via the Meaford sub. Plus Linx already serves the Barrie-Wasaga Beach route anyway. You’d just be duplicating an already existing service

Tbh I think Barrie-Collingwood would be better than Barrie-Wasaga Beach. More people, better justification for year round service, same general area, could maybe lay the ground for a rail extension to Collingwood via the Meaford sub. Plus Linx already serves the Barrie-Wasaga Beach route anyway. You’d just be duplicating an already existing service

No Linx service on weekends is an issue; but that could certainly be resolved by them.

Though for travelers from Toronto, a single-fare service, seemless travel experience is also worthwhile. (I could stand to be corrected, by I don't recall Linx taking Presto)

Last edited:
Though for travelers from Toronto, a single-fare service, a seemless travel experience is also worthwhile. (I could stand to be corrected, by I don't recall Linx taking Presto)
No, they don’t accept Presto, they use their own system. I could maybe see them making the jump if Barrie Transit adopts it though. And the lack of weekend service is a problem. Though that should be on Linx to improve service

Does anyone know why the 407 GO bus services are so abysmal and unreliable right now? There used to be a priority frequency between Trafalgar/407 to the 407 station, and then from there to RHC and Unionville. Buses were coming every 10-15 mins combined but now its a complete hit or miss. I think the 41 (47) and 56 (46) inclusion messed with having a consistent combined frequent schedule, and it feels like they just depart buses whenever they feel like, but even when the pandemic started there was a 10 minute gap, and then a long 40-60 minute gap for the next bus.

I've booked on a Sunday for the following Monday during spring Reading Week. I wasn't happy about the ticket price, but it wasn't my choice and ultimately I wasn't paying.

Dan

I don’t understand the notion on here and in Twitter that Metrolinx is the hammer and every outside-GTA transit gap is a nail. GO is optimized for GTA and near-GTA travel and should continue to be so. ONTC should be required by their MTO masters to institute an Ottawa-Toronto Highway 7 public service route to replace Greyhound forthwith.

Because GO is far more accessible of a service than traditional coach lines. It’s generally more affordable, has a flat fare structure, accepts presto, and has clearly posted and easily accessible schedules.

Back