657     0 

GO Transit orders 20 more locos

Earlscourt_Lad

Member Bio
Reaction score
From the Railway Gazette today:

10 Feb 2009

CANADA: Toronto area commuter operator GO Transit has placed a US$85m order for a further 20 MPXpress diesel locomotives.

The contract announced by the MotivePower subsidiary of Wabtec on February 10 is an option on an original order for 27 of the 3 600 hp locomotives, which are now in service.

The locomotives are to be built at MotivePower's plant in Boise, Idaho, for delivery in late 2009 and 2010.

'This order is a nice addition to our backlog and reflects our leading role in the commuter locomotive market', said Wabtec President & CEO Albert J Neupaver

Does this involve the "buy Ontario" principle?

by the way... was that even passed?

From the Railway Gazette today:

10 Feb 2009

CANADA: Toronto area commuter operator GO Transit has placed a US$85m order for a further 20 MPXpress diesel locomotives.

The contract announced by the MotivePower subsidiary of Wabtec on February 10 is an option on an original order for 27 of the 3 600 hp locomotives, which are now in service.

The locomotives are to be built at MotivePower's plant in Boise, Idaho, for delivery in late 2009 and 2010.

'This order is a nice addition to our backlog and reflects our leading role in the commuter locomotive market', said Wabtec President & CEO Albert J Neupaver

Old news as they were order/approved in Aug 2008 by GO Board.

Last edited:
Isn't all of this just a timing thing? Why are people so hung up on when it was approved and who new it first?

The quote is pretty clear:

"....is an option on an original order for 27 of the 3 600 hp "

Meaning that when GO bought the first of the locos they had an option to purchase these 20 at an agreed price....they exercised the option...does it matter if it is old news or new news or if we new about it before or if the vendor was slow in announcing it?

It is 20 more of the new locos......should improve service on more lines.

Isn't all of this just a timing thing? Why are people so hung up on when it was approved and who new it first?

The quote is pretty clear:

"....is an option on an original order for 27 of the 3 600 hp "

Meaning that when GO bought the first of the locos they had an option to purchase these 20 at an agreed price....they exercised the option...does it matter if it is old news or new news or if we new about it before or if the vendor was slow in announcing it?

It is 20 more of the new locos......should improve service on more lines.

If will depend how many of the existing fleet is scrap.

8 are being sold now.

To put 30 minutes service on the Lake Shore, you need 5 additional trains.

If you start servicing Hamilton all day, you will need 2 more.

To put all day service on RH line, you need 2-3 depending were you going to stop.

I just used up 7-12 of those additional 20 loco.

I expect to see another 10 existing units scrap in 2010.

Not much left over for more improve service other than peak. Lack of extra coaches is not going to help either.

If will depend how many of the existing fleet is scrap.

8 are being sold now.

To put 30 minutes service on the Lake Shore, you need 5 additional trains.

If you start servicing Hamilton all day, you will need 2 more.

To put all day service on RH line, you need 2-3 depending were you going to stop.

I just used up 7-12 of those additional 20 loco.

I expect to see another 10 existing units scrap in 2010.

Not much left over for more improve service other than peak. Lack of extra coaches is not going to help either.

even if every one of these new locos just replaced scrapped locos...I would view that as a service improvement.....in the sense that reliability would be improved....presumably these new ones don't break as often as the old ones ;)

even if every one of these new locos just replaced scrapped locos...I would view that as a service improvement.....in the sense that reliability would be improved....presumably these new ones don't break as often as the old ones ;)

There been a lot of fun with the new ones. A number have been ship off site for warranty work. Software failure, failure 100%.

When the engineers open the throttle up, travel time between station got shorter by a few minutes, but have to sit in the station to depart on time.

Back