News   May 14, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 14, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 544     0 

GO Transit Midtown Corridor

If the Midtown GO Line's "Don Mills" Station is built, expect the "Science Centre" Station on Line 5 AND the Ontario Line to become a very busy transfer station.

1604521326907-png.280743

Expect Peterborough to become a new commuter destination, IF this happens. Maybe even someplace called Scarborough as well.

The powers-that-be better start gathering real estate around the railway and between the railway and the "Science Centre" Stations (plural) today.
1604521449654-png.280744

From link.

Maybe by the 22nd century, they could build a Toronto Zoo GO Station, located to the north near Meadowvale Road & Plug Hat Road. May need a zoo train extension to reach it.

View attachment 280937
From link.

If it's implemented as a local rapid transit service by way of electrification, then a midtown GO line should have more stops. I would add ones at Royal York, Runnymede, Keele, Dufferin, Birchmount and Neilson in addition to the ones shown: Kipling, Spadina, Yonge, Millwood, Don Mills, Sheppard, and Markham.

If it's implemented as a local rapid transit service by way of electrification, then a midtown GO line should have more stops. I would add ones at Royal York, Runnymede, Keele, Dufferin, Birchmount and Neilson in addition to the ones shown: Kipling, Spadina, Yonge, Millwood, Don Mills, Sheppard, and Markham.

Instead of "Runnymede", it should be "Jane". 35 JANE and 935 JANE EXPRESS have very high ridership, and could be replaced by an underground JANE LRT at that point in the future. Depending upon how long the station will be be, the west end of that station could be at Jane Street, while the east end of that station could be at Runnymede Road.

Politicians today can't think into the 22nd century. They're stuck in 1999.
If they're lucky that is

There's plenty of politicians who are stuck in 1933 parroting a certain Austrian-born person who staged a coup in a beer hall a decade before that.

It's a shame we didn't plan for a future connection at Eglinton and Leslie as part of the Crosstown. That might have been even easier than buying up land along Don Mills.
TBH, if the Ontario Line gets built, I expect grade separation at Sunnybrooke Park to be able to have ATC run from Don Mills to the west, and the rebuilt station could have a better connection.

With the Midtown GO Train, expect to see more construction around Leslie & Eglinton (east of the Sunnybrook Park stop) at the railway bridge, for railroad track expansion. Instead of doing the expansion now, it'll happen in a decade, two, or three decades from now.

img_6769.jpg

From link.

If they're lucky that is

There's plenty of politicians who are stuck in 1933 parroting a certain Austrian-born person who staged a coup in a beer hall a decade before that.

*Mr. Bean voice* "but I take that as a joke"
edit: I mean to say your point is lost when you invoke Goodwin lol

Instead of "Runnymede", it should be "Jane". 35 JANE and 935 JANE EXPRESS have very high ridership, and could be replaced by an underground JANE LRT at that point in the future. Depending upon how long the station will be be, the west end of that station could be at Jane Street, while the east end of that station could be at Runnymede Road.

Position the station between Jane and Runnymede. That way there's easy access to both a future Jane LRT and to the huge lands along St. Clair with big box (Walfart) stores and strip plazas that have redevelopment potential on a large scale.

If the Midtown Corridor becomes an eastwards rerouting of the Milton Line, then there are only a handful of stations I would say are absolutely essential: Jane/Runnymede, Dupont/Spadina, and Crosstown. Jane/Runnymede for redevelopment, Dupont/Spadina to shift commuter traffic onto the University subway line, and Crosstown to interchange with Line 5 or the Ontario Line. I'm skeptical that the North Toronto station would be able to handle all downtown-bound traffic on the line.

Other important stations would be between Symington and Dufferin (serving either the Dupont/Dufferin neighbourhood or to interchange with the Barrie Line), the Summerhill/North Toronto stop, Ellesmere/Warden (lots of redevelopment potential), and a Markham Park-and-Ride somewhere south of the 407. It could also be extended to the future Pickering Airp- just kidding.

I think service to Peterborough is more appropriate for Via HFR than GO, since Peterborough is large and distant enough that encouraging Toronto-bound commuting just isn't economically viable.

Back