News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.2K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 809     0 

GO Transit Fleet Equipment and other

Either way the cab car is ugly, either a Rotem cab with asymmetrical windows or a CEM cab car. And most railfans hate them because of bad horns (K2 on the Rotem and K5CA-LS on the CEM), but they're generally safer than gallery cars/old BiLevels though.
The right side window is taller.
Metra apparently specifically wants cab cars with flat fronts so that they can be used as midtrain coaches if need be.
That was one thing why railfans don't like the CEM / Rotem cabs.

Last edited:
That was one thing why railfans don't like the CEM / Rotem cabs.
For the CEMs, how often was GO using the flat cab cars mid train before the cab cars were refit with an additional door earlier this year that allowed the consist splits?

I don’t think it happened before this year, and wasn’t a problem to GO, so railfans not liking the CEMs for that reason is unreasonable

For the CEMs, how often was GO using the flat cab cars mid train before the cab cars were refit with an additional door earlier this year that allowed the consist splits?

I don’t think it happened before this year, and wasn’t a problem to GO, so railfans not liking the CEMs for that reason is unreasonable
Well, they also didn't like it because of the ABSOLUTELY GARBAGE K5CA-LS horn.

I don’t understand the horn stuff, it’s literally just something to get people’s attention and it’s not supposed to sound pretty
Don't the K5LA's exert more force? I saw a VIA at Bronte do a runby with the horn. I was in the parking lot, and it was really quiet. Besides, foamers make those "Loudest Sounds on Earth" memes, and 3rd Gen K5LLA is always at the top. I know GO dosen't use these, but they're both K5 horns.

The horns point forward. If they exerted too much force, wouldn't they slow the train down?
You cannot propel anything using sound (waves) alone; sound is just a travelling wave and does not consistently move any air in a particular direction so emitting a sound wave does not generate thrust.
Passed by Willowbrook, and seems 208 might have been taken inside the shops.

Perhaps it might be getting prepared for a run?
Very likely. This might be everyone's third chance to catch it running. I'm planning on going downtown today.

Well, they also didn't like it because of the ABSOLUTELY GARBAGE K5CA-LS horn.

Apparently Transport Canada, the FRA, and several railways and operators don't have the benefit of your wisdom and expertise.

The key criteria for a railway horn are
- It must be audible at the specified distance, speed, and direction
- It must be recognizable as a railway horn (and not mistaken for a truck on a nearby road etc)
- It must have appropriate control functionality
- It must have a tone and pitch that creates alarm and sense of urgency in the listener

Please enlighten us on how this particular horn does not meet these criteria.

- Paul

Last edited:
You cannot propel anything using sound (waves) alone; sound is just a travelling wave and does not consistently move any air in a particular direction so emitting a sound wave does not generate thrust.
Well it seems fanbois lack a humour detection gene.

Actually, you can, it's just a comparatively weak force.

Back