News   May 15, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 998     1 

GO Transit Fleet Equipment and other

Not just repainted doors, those are actually new doors. The older doors don't have such large windows. It's a sort of anachronism to have a coach with five windows on the lower level (old) but also tall windows in the doors (new).
Another giveaway to that is the new, unpainted exterior panels around the doorways. The new doors have a different mechanism that is supposed to be far more reliable than the old ones.

This is the first step in the rebuild process. In the past, cars were sent like this to CAD in Montréal or ONR in North Bay, where they would have the rest of the work done, including applying the new paint scheme.

It's also odd cause the rebuilt cab cars from what I've seen don't have the newer tall window doors.
The rebuild for the cab cars did not specify spec'ing the new doors in the process, for whatever reason.

Dan

Did another one of these diagrams, this time focusing on the car markers. If you know what these mean they can actually be quite helpful to know where train stops (so you don’t end up running down half the platform if your train is 6 cars long):

You_Doodle+_2024-04-30T14_35_12Z.jpeg

Did another one of these diagrams, this time focusing on the car markers. If you know what these mean they can actually be quite helpful to know where train stops (so you don’t end up running down half the platform if your train is 6 cars long):

View attachment 560193
I believe the odd number consist markers are old leftovers from when GO had the old white and black stop markers, which is why they were never updated (and at certain stations they no longer appear).

I believe the odd number consist markers are old leftovers from when GO had the old white and black stop markers, which is why they were never updated (and at certain stations they no longer appear).
Yeah I think they switched the even car markers out for the blue ones when COVID hit. GO hasn’t run odd number length consists for a long time, so theres really no point in changing those ones out

This is correct. The current standards have all signage featuring yellow lettering on a dark blue background, or dark blue lettering on a yellow background. Anything else is old signage, and to be disregarded by the operating crews.

Although this is apparently poised to change again.

Dan

This is correct. The current standards have all signage featuring yellow lettering on a dark blue background, or dark blue lettering on a yellow background. Anything else is old signage, and to be disregarded by the operating crews.
What happened to the status of the newer greenish signs that I've been seeing for 3-4 years? I assumed they were replacing the old blue and white ones. (personally, I find the green ones much easier to see - the other ones just get lost for me with the other station accessories. (I'm not sure why ... I think in theory the yellow on blue should be more visible).

Here's a couple of photos from a year ago (sorry for the quality, they were just in the distant background of the shots).
1714506423415.png
1714506376080.png

What happened to the status of the newer greenish signs that I've been seeing for 3-4 years? I assumed they were replacing the old blue and white ones. (personally, I find the green ones much easier to see - the other ones just get lost for me with the other station accessories. (I'm not sure why ... I think in theory the yellow on blue should be more visible).

Here's a couple of photos from a year ago (sorry for the quality, they were just in the distant background of the shots).
View attachment 560289View attachment 560288
Those are passenger-oriented, so they were never going to replace the actual stopping markers, merely supplement them. I think we need more of them as well since most passengers don't realize that the blue signs indicate where they need to stand for a given train length.

Those are passenger-oriented, so they were never going to replace the actual stopping markers, merely supplement them. I think we need more of them as well since most passengers don't realize that the blue signs indicate where they need to stand for a given train length.
Indeed we need more of them, they’re only being piloted at Danforth and Mimico right now but I hardly see a reason why they shouldn’t be placed across the network

True, true.

I'd think that it would be easier for operators to adapt to the new signs, than passengers adapt to the blue ones.

Part of the problem is that the platform numbers and car length signs are very similar. I can see one looking at a 6 on a platform, and thinking it means track 6.

The extra text on the green signs is certainly useful for the average rider.

I'd think that it would be easier for operators to adapt to the new signs, than passengers adapt to the blue ones.

Part of the problem is that the platform numbers and car length signs are very similar. I can see one looking at a 6 on a platform, and thinking it means track 6.

The extra text on the green signs is certainly useful for the average rider.
Signs intended for operators need to have a very large number mounted high up, only facing one direction on the platform. Signs intended for passengers need to have some decipherable message, lower down, facing both directions. It seems to me that the best solution is to have both.

Back