News   May 03, 2024
 53     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 284     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 673     0 

GO Transit Fleet Equipment and other

At the same time, electric locomotives are not a new propulsion or other drivetrain system. It's not like they're going to put out a 2020s version of a TurboTrain or Intermediate Capacity Transit System. Electric motors will be set on a frame with (relatively) standard bogies and wheels. Of course it's more complicated than that, but that's the foundation of the system. Then you have former Bombardier and existing Alstom facilities with experience building a frame and other components.

I think if there's going to be kinks, it'll be the computers or the supply chain, much like what we saw with the Flexity Outlook.

I don't disagree, but the number of fixes required of the flexities from doors, to ramps to large welding mistakes cost oodles of time and money.

Customization was not the only issue there, of course, it was new production lines w/under-trained, under-supervised staff and work/parts/design split across 3 different units of the then Bombardier whose communication was poor.

But it does leave an instinct for something with an existing track record and production line.

Last edited:
In fairness, I read it quite a bit differently than you.

I read it as being off-the-shelf, proven technology that is being used elsewhere. It's just that there is no off-the-shelf solution for the North American sphere of operations, and so they're going to have to design a custom shell to house all of these off-the-shelf components in.

Dan
Would this be a similar strategy with Siemens’s American Cities Sprinter? How are those doing?

In fairness, I read it quite a bit differently than you.

I read it as being off-the-shelf, proven technology that is being used elsewhere. It's just that there is no off-the-shelf solution for the North American sphere of operations, and so they're going to have to design a custom shell to house all of these off-the-shelf components in.

Dan
Being an engineer myself (different field) - my observation is that integration of different components - especially if they’re built by different divisions or companies - is often a huge source of problems.

Would this be a similar strategy with Siemens’s American Cities Sprinter? How are those doing?
And the HHP-8s, and the AEM-7s, and the ALP-46s, etc.

From what I've been told, Amtrak has been extremely happy with their performance thus far. Of course there were a few teething issues to start with, but the biggest problem with them is that Siemens simply can not get parts to Amtrak to repair them in a timely manner. (This has also been an issue with the diesel Chargers.) Of course, they've been so reliable that even with 2 units out of service for the long term due to derailment damage they aren't breaking a sweat to make service.

Being an engineer myself (different field) - my observation is that integration of different components - especially if they’re built by different divisions or companies - is often a huge source of problems.
Oh, I totally agree.

But the likelihood that the components themselves, rather than their integration being the problem when they do arrive and start into service is quite low IMHO. Especially if they truly are components that are being used elsewhere, and so there will be known failure modes, known maintenance schedules and procedures, etc.

Of course, all of this is meaningless if the maintenance side of things can't be held to account, too.

Dan

ML can buy the 2 NCTD Siemens Charger locomotives,” which were delivered May 5, 2023, but not the 5 bilevel that are for sell now and add them to the fleet

ML can buy the 2 NCTD Siemens Charger locomotives,” which were delivered May 5, 2023, but not the 5 bilevel that are for sell now and add them to the fleet
They could use one to replace the 647 that never sees any use due to it being extremely unreliable and a horrible runner

Dan
what will these locos do that an ALP-46 can’t? (other than not having/needing multi system transformers)? I can’t recall what the particulars of the tender were

what will these locos do that an ALP-46 can’t? (other than not having/needing multi system transformers)? I can’t recall what the particulars of the tender were
Other than being 10+ years newer, and thus be required to meet an updated set of regulatory standards?

Or maybe that Alstom wants to use locos based on their Prima design, rather than Bombardier's Traxx.

Dan

3 of the refurbished cab cars are lined up at Willowbrook, all facing west. Assuming those are 204, 207, and 212.

206 is away from all of them and still facing east.

Here is a bad shot from my phone of the pic I took. Full pics to come later.
50D18DAE-5333-4A16-92F2-0EA21FCC9CB8.jpeg

So with the London service ending. I'm assuming that means the F59s will be repurposed for their original role of pulling the smaller 6 car trains?

Other than being 10+ years newer, and thus be required to meet an updated set of regulatory standards?

Or maybe that Alstom wants to use locos based on their Prima design, rather than Bombardier's Traxx.

Dan
What sort of regulations would have changed? I’ll buy it, just curious.

Kassel are building ALP-45As for NJT so presumably the expertise and tooling is still there to do an ALP-46, and changes in regulations of less concern. Certainly more of a proven family in North American conditions, given how the 45As were ordered (last 8 added to order in 2020) so NJT could get rid of Alstom built PL42ACs.

Back