News   Apr 29, 2024
 243     1 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 391     0 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 559     0 

GO Transit Electrification | Metrolinx

Also 23 years seems like an odd number to use... why can't they use easy multiples of 5? Lol instead they picked a prime number

Also 23 years seems like an odd number to use... why can't they use easy multiples of 5? Lol instead they picked a prime number
Could be wrong but think that it's constructed to coincide with duration of the Onxpress agreement. They signed the agreement in 2022 for 25 years so there is 23 years left.

Last weekend I was running down the Bayview extension and I noticed that they've put electrification warning signs on the upgraded fencing along the Don Sub. I don't see any other sources of electricity, so maybe they're being really forward thinking? 🤔 😂

Photo south of Dundas.
1000015498.jpg

^ I think this portion will be electrified. Some images here.

This post focuses on the layover, which in 2023 was announced would be relocated further up the Richmond Hill line. I assume the Rosedale Siding will still be electrified thus the need for the signs? cc @crs1026 @smallspy

Seems like Metrolinx said in reply to @JasonParis this was a potential:

On Jun 28, 2023 they tweeted that they passed the one year anniversary of the Development phase.

Jun 21, 2023 they tweeted about entering year 2 of the development phase.

I'd hope we see plans by the Fall.
Given the April 19, 2022 date for signing of the contract with the consortium for the Go Transit project, including the electrification components, and given that it is now coming to the end of the two year development phase, perhaps it will soon be time to upgrade the Go Transit Electrification from being one of many 'Proposed' projects to actually being 'Pre-Construction'?

@Paclo

Easy to electrify your network when it's only a single line.
True, but the UPX was to be done by 2019 and still nothing considering footings were placed in many locations as new things got built before 2019.

Lakeshore East was to be done first that saw all the footing in place when the Whitby complex was built.

True, but the UPX was to be done by 2019 and still nothing considering footings were placed in many locations as new things got built before 2019.

Lakeshore East was to be done first that saw all the footing in place when the Whitby complex was built.
is electrifying UPX still planned or has it been quietly shelved for another generation to dither into?

is electrifying UPX still planned or has it been quietly shelved for another generation to dither into?
It was stated by ML CEO and the President at a board meeting before the line open in 2015 that the line would be electrify by 2019. The DMU would either be converted to EMUs at a cost of 0ne million per car or a new fleet would be purchased to replace the DMUs.

Since then, the planned UPX yard at Islington has disappeared from plans and has now been left to Alstom as what will replace the DMUs. Your guess is good as anyone these days as what will happen for UPX.

Interesting find on the City's Application Information Centre by WB62 on X here cc @Northern Light

Various disclaimers below.

Link: https://www.toronto.ca/city-governm...1425&pid=206955&title=61-71-FRONT-ST-W-(REAR)

Fun Fact: Did you know the scope of GO Expansion has increased massively since 2018? For example; the Lakeshore West Line was intended to run 7 trains per hour at 17:00 in the 2018 plan, and is now planned to run 18 trains per hour in the 2023 plan.

1713147592500.png

I would also like to reiterate that the departures shown in the right column are subject to change significantly. OnCorr is going through a development stage at the moment, and the schedules provided to the companies involved in the USEP project are not finished, and could change.

Last edited:
^ Apologies for not tagging you here :)

And, good idea with the disclaimers. Still worth it to post as a benchmark to whatever is the final decision. That's the cool part about AIC. It's easy to find stuff when it's posted.

Back