News   May 17, 2024
 2K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.2K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 9.4K     9 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Is adding the 3rd track a response to an immediate need for more track to accommodate more trains during peak, or is this a long-term infrastructure thing (laying the groundwork for electrification, etc)? I guess what I'm asking is is this a retroactive response to an already at-capacity situation (relieving a bottleneck), or is this proactive to allow for expanded service further down the line?
From the 2012 Feasibility Study, the corridor is at-capacity. New signalling blocks and the third track from Guildwood Station to Durham Junction will allow an extra 12.3 westbound trains per hour, and 7.66 eastbound trains per hour.

Also included in the package is Preliminary Design for a 4-track layout between the USRC and Durham Junction and electrification between the URSC and Guildwood Station. This will allow them to future-proof the current works (specifically the new grade separations).

From the 2012 Feasibility Study, the corridor is at-capacity. New signalling blocks and the third track from Guildwood Station to Durham Junction will allow an extra 12.3 westbound trains per hour, and 7.66 eastbound trains per hour.

Also included in the package is Preliminary Design for a 4-track layout between the USRC and Durham Junction and electrification between the URSC and Guildwood Station. This will allow them to future-proof the current works (specifically the new grade separations).

Gotcha, thanks! Glad to see they're thinking ahead a little bit instead of doing reactionary planning.

I'm glad to be wrong on this. This stretch of track can get quite congested in the afternoon rush.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

What happened at Unionville?

They moved the station from the historic station building on Main Street Unionville to its current location near the 407 and Kennedy. Ideally they would have left the old station open as well, but it had little in the way of parking space and it was walkable for very few compared to the Markham GO station on Main Street Markham, so I understand. Despite having a small amount of parking, Markham GO has the third highest ridership on the line (these numbers are AM peak only, since that's all I have):

Unionville 1810
Mount Joy 1330
Markham 1250
Centennial 740
Milliken 680
Stouffville 660
Agincourt 510
Lincolnville 130

Source: http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/improve/Stouffville_Rail_Expansion_PIC_1_EN.pdf

While I'm not familiar with the typography of the land around the current platform or how the station and its passengers operate, I'm curious as to why the proposed extended east side walkway, which reaches down onto Snider from the existing station, cant act like a platform extension. it seems like it could greatly improve passenger flow and station capacity.

Again, im not entirely familiar with the station and its surroundings so if this makes no sense just let me know.

Smart! I'm really glad to see a common sense solution that maintains the station location (unlike what happened at Unionville), and adding more access.

I disagree. I think that the better option would have been to move the platform across the street to the east side of Markham/Main, and placed it on the inside of the curve there. While land is a bit constricted, they could have placed a full 12-car platform there without blocking any roads.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back