News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 381     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Lincolnville line - Unionville Station extension

Received an email from GO yesterday stating that work is about to commence on extending the Unionville station's platform south to accomodate 12 car trains.
I was really hoping that they'd start all day service soon since they put in the passing track under 14th Avenue last year.

Received an email from GO yesterday stating that work is about to commence on extending the Unionville station's platform south to accomodate 12 car trains.
I was really hoping that they'd start all day service soon since they put in the passing track under 14th Avenue last year.

Lincolnville is my line...I get off at Milliken (one stop before Unionville when going north)...is Unionvilles platform much smaller? Call me out of the loop, but I have no idea how many cars trains run at the moment? Is 12 a big capacity upgrade? Lord knows the morning trains could use some more since it always seems packed.

Is all day service going to start any time soon?

Good news! It's going to be cramped at my stop (markham) as they only open 5 cars. Still, the extra capacity is needed as it fills up at Unionville for most of the morning trains.

Lincolnville is my line...I get off at Milliken (one stop before Unionville when going north)...is Unionvilles platform much smaller? Call me out of the loop, but I have no idea how many cars trains run at the moment? Is 12 a big capacity upgrade? Lord knows the morning trains could use some more since it always seems packed.

Is all day service going to start any time soon?
12-car is 20% mores space, so it's a huge increase for not running any more trains. GO is slowing coverting from a 10-car standard consist to a 12-car standard consist. All-day service on Lincolnville won't be around until they complete the passing track between Milliken and Unionville stations; not sure if it's finished or was delayed.

GO's website says this will be complete by Spring 2011. I assume the railway bridge replacements will be finished by then as well, so let's hope we at least get some more trains!

12-car is 20% mores space, so it's a huge increase for not running any more trains. GO is slowing coverting from a 10-car standard consist to a 12-car standard consist. All-day service on Lincolnville won't be around until they complete the passing track between Milliken and Unionville stations; not sure if it's finished or was delayed.

The passing track was completed last summer (i.e. 2009)

I should mention that the second phase of preparatory work for the parking structure in Ajax is underway. This includes creating a new extension to the southern parking lot and a new access road to the southern lot. This was originally intended to be temporary space to replace that lost during construction of the garage (which should start in the next few months) but my understanding is that it will now be permanent.

You will catch the grade speration for Sheppard in this video.

The seperation cannot get under way until they relocat the signale box to the north side as well built footing for the gates.
[video=youtube;hE-fv0YmXeQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE-fv0YmXeQ[/video]

Brampton Station

Are there any updates on the Brampton GO Station and when the south platform will open? Is Milton done?

Site Visit Dec 3rd

Spring 2011 my oh my for Brampton. That what, 2 years late?

Click for full size Agincourt

How is GO planning to implement all day 2-way service on the Stouffville line with just 1 rail?

How is GO planning to implement all day 2-way service on the Stouffville line with just 1 rail?

The same way CN and CP run trains all across Canada with one track main lines - there are sidings at various places along the line, with one of the oncoming trains pulling into a siding to let the other train by. The sidings are set up so that the travel time between them is as close to the same as possible, so that the oncoming trains would meet at the double track area at the same time.

To see how it works with Go Transit on a single track line - take a look at the Richmond Hill line, in the Don Valley, south of Pottery Road from the Bayview extension. Along here there is a stretch of double tack. In the late afternoon, one of the Richmond Hill line trains returns to Union Station, for another run - it and a northbound train pass each other at this point - whichever train gets there first pulls onto the siding, and waits for the other to pass.

Post 236 below by Mapleson refers to a section of passing track to be implemented on the Stouffville / Lincolnville line between Milliken and Unionville stations.

AHK

Last edited:

Back